v Rotherham United (A) Match Thread

rynny

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ball comes to Mount on the edge of the box, who waits too long for it to come down so he can shoot, the oportunity is lost and he goes down under pressure looking for a FK which does not come. The Rotherham counter leads to a great cross but they concede a FK pushing over Keogh. 

It's very similar to the Reading game on the opening day. They're just letting our centre backs have the ball and there's not enough movement in front of them so they either have to pass it between themselves or look for a long diagonal ball. I'm really disappointed with Huddlestone here; in games like this I feel he should be the one coming to collect the ball because if they sit off him he has the passing ability to punish them. Instead, he's playing like Ledley does and is pushing forward leaving the centre backs to deal with it themselves 

Derby definitely the worse team this half. Rotherham's huge CB Ajayi has been excellent and their winger Williams also. Derby are struggling to deal with the long balls effectively, and are running into numbers when they attack.

However, Rotherham's system sees 5+ Rotherham players bundling into our box when they attack, and all 10 of their outfield players behind the ball whenever Derby has it. I can't imagine them being able to keep that up for much longer.

HT 0-0

So on their CB Ajayi - he's 6'4, stronger and faster than Waghorn. Unsurprisingly, Waghorn has been fairly non-existent that half. Ajayi's also shut down Jozefzoon very quickly when Derby counter (and their full back has been forward).

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Non-existent midfield, especially when Mount joins the front 3. Huddz and Johnson not doing enough. Need someone to help transistion from defence to attack. 

Disagree, it’s been played over the midfield nearly all game, they can’t be all 12ft high

Rotherham using their physicality here very well. They're counting on a set piece for a goal. We just haven't shown enough. Ref isn't given us a lot here, which means their strength is being the difference. Horrible game to watch. 

We can't play higher up the pitch because their long ball is too much of a threat, so we really need our transition from defence to attack needs to be quicker. I'm confident we'll get the win, but it's a big 45 minutes coming up. 

We got worse as the half went on. We need to take control and look for spaces up front and knock it to run onto. Rotherham keep knocking high balls in which we are struggling to deal with. I hope we can take control this second half. 

Also we don’t seem to have worked out that they take some really deep corners which we need to follow their players as they drop back.

Archived