Memories @ramtique

loweman2

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I remember those nights. First my dear old dad and then later me driving home at a rate of knots to get back to Brum in time for Sportsnight at 10 pm.  For you young uns kick offs were 7,30 pm, half time was 10minutes and the matches finished at 9.10pm, unless it was an ambulance case on the pitch. The good old days.?

Seeing these pictures remindered me of STANDING in the middle tier in the ossie.  Stamping on those wooden boards made an incredible noise.  I suppose the newbies can’t even comprehend the idea of terracing in the stands.  Safe standing before it was even thought of

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Seeing these pictures remindered me of STANDING in the middle tier in the ossie.  Stamping on those wooden boards made an incredible noise.  I suppose the newbies can’t even comprehend the idea of terracing in the stands.  Safe standing before it was even thought of

When it was like this ???

16308735-9E07-401B-B4AE-8FFF7AD37570.jpeg

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

When it was like this ???

16308735-9E07-401B-B4AE-8FFF7AD37570.jpeg

That's exactly it.  Getting there for 1 o/c on a Saturday when the turnstiles opened. Standing front row, middle, next to that post under the clock having walked from Chester Green with my friend Robin.

It was easier to get front row standing in 1966. Still managed to get a seat there though when they put seating in.

Can still see Hector and O'Hare bearing down 2 on 1 on Lawrence (I think) the Liverpool goalkeeper to make it 4 - 0 !!

Great days..

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

I remember those nights. First my dear old dad and then later me driving home at a rate of knots to get back to Brum in time for Sportsnight at 10 pm.  For you young uns kick offs were 7,30 pm, half time was 10minutes and the matches finished at 9.10pm, unless it was an ambulance case on the pitch. The good old days.?

7.30pm kick offs.....who the duck decided to change that? What was wrong with 7.30 kick offs?

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

@loweman2 these photos are pure gold mate. I have to keep zooming in to see if I can see me or my mates on them. 

Brilliant, takes me right back to the old place in all its glory, despair, and all points between. I grew up there...

Brilliant @uttoxram75 that is why I am posting all of these pics, hopefully to spark some great memories of when life in general seemed a bit simpler ! No one gave a toss about Brexit, the government, Muslims, terrorism, the internet, emails, mobile phones, speed cameras, seat belts, sky tv, Monday night football, Tuesday night football all we cared about was Saturday afternoon In front of the radio if you were a kid or if you were older a few pints with your mates and that amazing walk through the back streets of Derby to the centre of the world ! The Baseball Ground to watch anything from the sublime to the ridiculous depending on which era it was !

One big happy family ! I used to love the way the “ come on Derby, come on Derby” chant  reverberated around the BBG! Especially on a midweek game, very atmospheric!

Up  the Rams !

Archived