Cat thread

eddie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been planning to get a new kitten this autumn because our Ragdoll cat is now 15 - which is really old for that breed, apparently - and she won't last for ever.

I've noticed her eyesight is failing a bit, recently. She walked into the leg of the garden trampoline and last weekend walked into my foot when I was just sat on the patio - and then threw me a look like I'd deliberately kicked her!. She's also becomming more vocal - probably to make up for the dodgy vision.

She's been such a lovely cat & Miss Wolfie will be distraught when she does pop her clogs. Time to spend £500 on a new one I think.....

41 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Thankfully my missus loves cats but always insists on rescue cats rather than spending silly money on a pedigree. Feels like the right thing to do ethically and financially!

Each to their own & I've had moggies in the past. This one came with Mrs Wolfie & I'd go with Ragdolls again because of their fantastic temperament, as they basically let you do what you want to them. You can probably imagine how much pulling & carrying around mine has had to put up with since Miss Wolfie was a baby....and she just purrs & comes back for more. The cat likes being dragged round the carpet by her front legs FFS!

I'll get a moggy and it'll rip the little one's face off for touching it in the wrong place.

57 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Each to their own & I've had moggies in the past. This one came with Mrs Wolfie & I'd go with Ragdolls again because of their fantastic temperament, as they basically let you do what you want to them. You can probably imagine how much pulling & carrying around mine has had to put up with since Miss Wolfie was a baby....and she just purrs & comes back for more. The cat likes being dragged round the carpet by her front legs FFS!

I'll get a moggy and it'll rip the little one's face off for touching it in the wrong place.

True - can you guarantee a pedigree's temperament then? Genuine question as never had one.

The rescue cats are definitely hit and miss. Of the three we've had, one is as you describe - totally compliant and never gets her claws out. One was fine and then randomly savage, the third one is generally OK unless you really try and do something unpleasant to him (like try and give him a worming tablet - that's oven gloves o'clock!)

Cat #2 dies and the problem we have is that cat #1 and cat #3 don't get on at all. We thought they'd settle down but it's been two years now!

19 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

True - can you guarantee a pedigree's temperament then? Genuine question as never had one.

It's the Ragdoll breed that has the fab temperament. They're called Ragdolls because when you pick them up, they sort of go limp & you can do what you want with them, so are purrrfect (sorry) for small kids. I'm not bothered about if it's a pedigree from show cat parents or whatever.

The rescue cats are definitely hit and miss. Of the three we've had, one is as you describe - totally compliant and never gets her claws out. One was fine and then randomly savage, the third one is generally OK unless you really try and do something unpleasant to him (like try and give him a worming tablet - that's oven gloves o'clock!)

I grew up on a farm & always had cats around the place & like you, it was pot luck as to whether they were compliant or not. The only other cat I had as an adult was a moggy and mostly fine but then would just get sharp and bitey for no apparent reason. That one went with the previous Mrs Wolfie and must be heading towards 20 by now - I know she's still alive.

Cat #2 dies and the problem we have is that cat #1 and cat #3 don't get on at all. We thought they'd settle down but it's been two years now!

Sounds like time to get another one ?

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Cats are evil!!!

You own a dog, a cat owns you.

Dogs are faithful, cats don't give a feck.

Before you ask I have one of each in the house. Dog every time

Dogs are just more adapt due to longer domestication at appealing to your better nature.  You think your dog doesn't own you? You're its bloody slave!

Feed me. Walk me. Let me in and out for a piss. Pick up my poo in a bag. Bathe me when I roll in fox poo. Forgive me for ripping up your post, oh and you weren't planning on using that cushion were you? Oh go on, please let me shag your friends legs.

You've been had.

2 minutes ago, Matt H said:

Dogs are just more adapt due to longer domestication at appealing to your better nature.  You think your dog doesn't own you? You're it's bloody slave!

Feed me. Walk me. Let me in and out for a piss. Pick up my poo in a bag. Bathe me when I roll in fox poo. Forgive me for ripping up your post, oh and you weren't planning on using that cushion were you? Oh go on, please let me shag your friends legs.

You've been had.

My Dog??? No never.

Well feed me yes, oh and take me for a walk. 

Ok let me in and out for a piss. 

Agreed with the bathing after rolling in fox poo.

Yep picking up poo.

Using my cushions. Ok you got me, doesn't take away the fact that cats are still evil though.

PS - Sounds like you are referring to a chocolate Labrador 

2 hours ago, Matt H said:

Dogs are just more adapt due to longer domestication at appealing to your better nature.  You think your dog doesn't own you? You're its bloody slave!

You've been had.

He's been had, and judging from the penultimate sentence, so have you!

On 12/09/2018 at 18:13, Archied said:

The most horrible of animals/pets , we have a neighbor who has two cats which apparently are not house cats ( what’s the point?) and they crap all over our garden , whish I was the type who could shoot the bloody things

For those responding with the angry imogi consider the fact that my wife is a childminder and we try very hard to have a lovely play area of a garden and have forgone having another dog ourselves as part of keeping it nice and clean only to find we are in a constant battle to keep it clean and safe ( cat poo carries very real disease threats ) for children to enjoy against other people’s pets  that spread filth in other people’s gardens ,, nope sorry ,cats are the worst most unpleasant  pets there are

Cats are feral creatures. If an animal allowed to go out unaccompanied with no control over where they defecate is a pet, then a cow is a pet.

I too have to remove bags of cat poo from my garden each week and am helpfully told I should invest my money in methods to avoid this. 

Cats are the ultimate duck you pet, released by owners to wreak havoc.

I empathise.

I've had cats and a dog for many years now and mostly I choose them but in 2000 a cat chose me. She appeared on my doorstep one early morning and although I phoned round and put up some posters nobody claimed her. As I'd already got 2 cats and a dog I eventually took her down to the RSPCA but when I got her there tender hearted soul that I am I couldn't leave her there so she came back home with me and lived happily at our for 14 years. The vet reckoned she'd been neutered- guess what she hadn't and ended up having four kittens. Needless to say I also kept one of them as well! Arm I have a ginger Maine coon and a 22 year old grey and white who is the only cat I've ever known that can't climb trees. He just slithers down.

On 19/09/2018 at 16:13, Archied said:

For those responding with the angry imogi consider the fact that my wife is a childminder and we try very hard to have a lovely play area of a garden and have forgone having another dog ourselves as part of keeping it nice and clean only to find we are in a constant battle to keep it clean and safe ( cat poo carries very real disease threats ) for children to enjoy against other people’s pets  that spread filth in other people’s gardens ,, nope sorry ,cats are the worst most unpleasant  pets there are

You may well think that, but it’s the shooting comment that gets me! Ever thought about what shooting a pet does to the owners of the car, never mind the poor thing itself! Had two of my three cats shot by some bar steward (of which there was a police investigation into, because funnily enough shooting a cat is a somewhat major offence!), one of which got very lucky and was protected by his ribs, and the other somehow survived against all the odds after an operation peformed by a heroic vet saved his lungs. Poor soul now only has one kidney and ends up in regular coughing fits all because some banker decided his Dislike of cats was above anyone else keeping them. 

So you may well dislike cats, but “wishing you were able to shoot them” is never acceptable in my eyes!

Archived