Speeding

Gritstone Ram

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yeah I know. I think I was on the nose with the speed but I have looked into where this camera was placed and it is a community concern no accidents but obviously some resident expert (probably retired) has chewed plods ear until they have caved in and set up a camera. I bet the school was part of the argument for having one. Then set it up while the school is closed.

Probably because they know when school is open the road will be busy enough to keep everyone slow

I do believe they look to maximise revenues from cameras. Often you find them on big open roads, not the dangerous ones, why? because more chance someone will get caught.

That said, you cant argue if you are caught, the law is the law.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yeah I know. I think I was on the nose with the speed but I have looked into where this camera was placed and it is a community concern no accidents but obviously some resident expert (probably retired) has chewed plods ear until they have caved in and set up a camera. I bet the school was part of the argument for having one. Then set it up while the school is closed.

You should have a 10%+1 buffer zone so 34 is the top speed you get away with it. If you're pulled within the buffer, innocently say you were under the impression that the ACPO guidelines were to only prosecute above the 10%+1 threshold. You'll probably get thought of as a smartarse who knows the laws and let go, unless your car is a shed on wheels, where they'll presumably get the book thrown at you to teach you a lesson. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

If I believed that the speed limits are well thought out, for the safety of pedestrians and drivers then I'd be less inclined to think it was all about the money that was collected.

Well... If it's a bit of a motorist tax, we should all stick it to the man, by never driving above the speed limit. That'd teach them. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

Probably because they know when school is open the road will be busy enough to keep everyone slow

I do believe they look to maximise revenues from cameras. Often you find them on big open roads, not the dangerous ones, why? because more chance someone will get caught.

That said, you cant argue if you are caught, the law is the law.

I just want a good moan about it really. I am the victim here.

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You should have a 10%+1 buffer zone so 34 is the top speed you get away with it. If you're pulled within the buffer, innocently say you were under the impression that the ACPO guidelines were to only prosecute above the 10%+1 threshold. You'll probably get thought of as a smartarse who knows the laws and let go, unless your car is a shed on wheels, where they'll presumably get the book thrown at you to teach you a lesson. 

when I saw him from behind the bush I was accelerating upto about 35 - 38 so if he was placed so he could get me before I saw him I may well have been under. I have just got two weeks of not knowing.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Tough titty. There is a reason that there are speed limits, and if you exceed them and get caught, then you deserve your penalty points, fines and bans. There are no excuses - you are either being reckless or driving without due care and attention. In other words, you are a rubbish driver.

He sits on the fence

He sits on the fennnncccee

Diplomat Eddie

He sits on the fence 

2 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Road outside my flat is 20 but doesn't stop the boyracers and motorcyclists going 50+. If not dangerous it does at least make more noise and vibration.

They are allowed, just like they are allowed to undertake, overtake even if in the same lane as you are. And also ride around with main beam blasting out.

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

when I saw him from behind the bush I was accelerating upto about 35 - 38 so if he was placed so he could get me before I saw him I may well have been under. I have just got two weeks of not knowing.

Nothing good can ever come from having someone jump out of a bush in front of you.

Just now, RamNut said:

Um...perhaps the list of banned subjects should now include politics, sex, religion.....and speeding.

Agree. Maybe we can guess on what is next weeks topic to be banned. Im going for 'biscuits'. Nothing good can come from a discussion about Biscuits.

17 minutes ago, sage said:

He sits on the fence

He sits on the fennnncccee

Diplomat Eddie

He sits on the fence 

It's just that in almost 50 years of driving, I have never felt the need to (knowingly) break the speed limit, never had an accident that was my fault and never had a point on my licence. I have been stopped and breathalysed three times - on each occasion it was at Christmas time when I was either bowling a tournament or working (funny how brake lights have a tendency to fail on such occasions).

I am very biased against speeding, and have been ever since I was the first to reach an accident where two children were killed after the car they were travelling in crashed into a tree.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree. Maybe we can guess on what is next weeks topic to be banned. Im going for 'biscuits'. Nothing good can come from a discussion about Biscuits.

I've been worrying all day about whether to start a thread on favourite sandwiches.

Don't think I'll bother now, could get too cheesy and then I'd be in a right pickle with the Mods. People will be hamming it up before you know it, while some posts would just be trying to butter them up. I don't want to get into a jam.

I'll stop now.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Tough titty. There is a reason that there are speed limits, and if you exceed them and get caught, then you deserve your penalty points, fines and bans. There are no excuses - you are either being reckless or driving without due care and attention. In other words, you are a rubbish driver.

Come on man ! . .. in legal terms that’s correct ... but what is a speed limit ?  .. it’s a reasonable assumption that all things considered, this nominal value is appropriate for this road ( and who decided that on what basis)  .. but .. 30 MPH in a 50 MPH limit could be very dangerous if it’s crowded, raining, dark or whatever.

equally 100 MPH on a deserted motorway in the North of Scotland in dry clear conditions ? ..

yes there are rules and if you break them and are caught then you get what’s coming but saying that speed limits are some sort of perfect prophet of goodness that cannot be challenged ... and doing so makes you a “rubbish” driver is pure farce. 

I accept the law, and it’s sanctions if I breach it but speed limits are, from a technical and safety POV very crude tools. We need them of course. but they are in no way detailed, flexible or scientific in their application. 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

There wasn’t much signing only a 30 sign about a mile back and no camera or speed enforcement signs anywhere. I haven’t said the law doesn’t apply to me I just think the polices time would be better spent if they set up outside the school when it is open in the week. Then they might catch someone who may actually cause an accident.

From bitter experience the absence of a 30 mph sign is no excuse for not knowing you are driving in a 30 mph zone, the Highway Code dictates that the spacing of the lampposts by the side of the road determines whether you are driving in a built up area and hence whether it's a 30 mph zone.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's just that in almost 50 years of driving, I have never felt the need to (knowingly) break the speed limit, never had an accident that was my fault and never had a point on my licence. I have been stopped and breathalysed three times - on each occasion it was at Christmas time when I was either bowling a tournament or working (funny how brake lights have a tendency to fail on such occasions).

I am very biased against speeding, and have been ever since I was the first to reach an accident where two children were killed after the car they were travelling in crashed into a tree.

Thanks a lot that’s just about put this to bed now!!! Well done.

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

From bitter experience the absence of a 30 mph sign is no excuse for not knowing you are driving in a 30 mph zone, the Highway Code dictates that the spacing of the lampposts by the side of the road determines whether you are driving in a built up area and hence whether it's a 30 mph zone.

Yep it was the lack of any speed enforcement signs that pissed me off. May be they’ll put some up from the revenue they get in.

24 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I've been worrying all day about whether to start a thread on favourite sandwiches.

Don't think I'll bother now, could get too cheesy and then I'd be in a right pickle with the Mods. People will be hamming it up before you know it, while some posts would just be trying to butter them up. I don't want to get into a jam.

I'll stop now.

I think if you did start one, it would soon be toast.

31 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I'll stop now.

Chicken

Archived