What happens when a match is abandonded?

TigerTedd

Specifically if the match is abandonded at dead on 90 mins and there’s probably 4 or 5 mins stoppage time still to play?

I know what happens if it gets abandonded earlier, but for the sake of stoppage time, would they really bother to replay the whole game. 

The context is in European competition too. 

Just watched a film. Without giving away too many spoilers, the match is abandonded at 90 mins, hence the question. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Specifically if the match is abandonded at dead on 90 mins and there’s probably 4 or 5 mins stoppage time still to play?

I know what happens if it gets abandonded earlier, but for the sake of stoppage time, would they really bother to replay the whole game. 

Just watched a film. Without giving away too many spoilers, the match is abandonded at 90 mins, hence the question. 

Rules say something along the lines of its up tot the FA. They could say the game is complete, or replay the game in full or the remainder. If the game had reached 90 mins, the ref can stop the game and say it’s complete. 

2 hours ago, trekkie_ram said:

Just don't ask a Fulham fan.

I was going to say that, to make an actual topic out of my curiosity, can you remember (looking at the old guys) any particularly controversial occurrences of matches being abandonded. 

The only one in my lifetime of any significance is the lights going out while we’re winning against Wimbledon, we lose the replay, and ultimately miss out on a European spot by about 2pts. ducking lights. Bet the sparky was a red. 

Anyway, why shouldn’t I ask a Fulham fan? What have I missed?

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was going to say that, to make an actual topic out of my curiosity, can you remember (looking at the old guys) any particularly controversial occurrences of matches being abandonded. 

The only one in my lifetime of any significance is the lights going out while we’re winning against Wimbledon, we lose the replay, and ultimately miss out on a European spot by about 2pts. ducking lights. Bet the sparky was a red. 

Isn't the OP alluding to the game at the BBG against Fulham in the 80s when we had to win to stay up and Fulham had to win to guarantee promotion, we scored and the crowd invaded the pitch and stood around the touchline, a Fulham player got kicked by a home fan and the ref decided to blow early.

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Isn't the OP alluding to the game at the BBG against Fulham in the 80s when we had to win to stay up and Fulham had to win to guarantee promotion, we scored and the crowd invaded the pitch and stood around the touchline, a Fulham player got kicked by a home fan and the ref decided to blow early.

Oh yes, I remember now. I watched the highlights of that before the play offs. They let that one stand in the end didn’t they? No point trying to replay the last few minutes. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Oh yes, I remember now. I watched the highlights of that before the play offs. They let that one stand in the end didn’t they? No point trying to replay the last few minutes. 

Yes think the ref thought it be safer for the Fulham players especially that he end the game at that point 

I think the ref actually blew for a free kick, but the fans invaded the pitch thinking it was the final whistle. 

I was on the Popside and couldn’t see what was happening on the pitch (which was really nerve wracking as we were trying to avoid relegation). I had to look up at the Ley Stand to see which way people were looking, so I could tell whether the ball was near our goal or not ?

15 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

There was something that came out about that Wimbledon game being potentially one of a number of games across Europe being abandoned around the same time in unusual circumstances as part of some dodgy betting syndicate's activities.

Found something about three games in England that were a bit suspect:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/278086.stm

We drew the replayed game 1-1 - Gary Rowett credited with an own goal... so basically Rowett cost us the UEFA cup.

On 07/09/2018 at 14:31, TigerTedd said:

Tedd this is in the title anorl. You've been making up words again haven't you, you little tinker.....?

Why-I-Dont-Push-My-Kids-to-Read-Early.jp

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Back on topic, an abandoned match should always be treated as an excuse to go to the pub and return home at the usual time hoping the missus has no idea of what’s gone on...

This is true. Mind you, an abandoned days play at the cricket gives potential scope for much greater damage to be done, following the same logic.

I can attest to this as Mrs Hants looked at me particularly steely-eyed as I lurched through the door a few years ago having seen 40 minutes play at the Oval followed by about 6 hours boozing ?

Archived