World Suicide Prevention Day .... goes on tour!

angieram

I have posted in previous years about the work that we do to raise awareness of and prevent suicides here in Derbyshire. We have been at two DCFC matches recently.

This year we are rather ambitiously going on tour across Derbyshire! If you are at any of the matches please come across and say hello.

World Suicide Prevention Day

For 2018 WSPD, on the following dates, ourselves along-side many other volunteers, will be outside football club grounds and stadiums a couple of hours before kick-off to offer information, guidance or just a listening ear.

You will find us at:

Saturday 8th September 2018

Alfreton Town vs. Guiseley - K.O 3.00pm Impact Arena, North St, Alfreton, DE55 7FZ

Chestefield vs. Dover Athletic - K.O 3.00pm Proact Stadium, 1866 Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, S41 8NZ

Saturday 15th September 2018

Belper Town vs. Cleethorpes Town - K.O 3.00pm Christchurch Meadow, Bridge Street Belper, DE56 1BA

Sheffield vs. Gresley - K.O 3.00pm Sheffield FC Stadium, Sheffield Road, Dronfield, S18 2GD

Tuesday 18th September 2018 

Derby County vs. Blackburn Rovers - K.O 7.45pm, Pride Park Stadium, Derby, DE24 8XL

Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has proudly supported the International Association for Suicide Prevention's World Suicide Prevention Day since 2016, which takes place on September 10th every year. This event aims to raise awareness of suicide - specifically in groups who otherwise may not discuss the topic. 

On the day, DHCFT worked along side many partners:

Samaritans

Cruise

Derby County Community Trust

Chesterfield FC Community Trust

Public Health

Derby County Council 

National Suicide Prevention Alliance

and spoke to fans at football stadiums about suicide and suicidal thoughts. We also handed out cards containing information and contact numbers for suicide support lines.

2018's WSPD theme is: Working together to prevent suicide

For more information on 2018's World Suicide Prevention Day, please visit: https://iasp.info/wspd2018/

DCFC.png.a4e22307cfcc4a7dffc1f441b7291806.png

Contact cards given to fans at DCFC and Chesterfield FC

As part of the day, a survey was given out to gather information from the public regarding their attitudes and experiences of suicide and suicidal thoughts.

2016 and 2017 survey findings summary

The survey was completed by a total of 371 people. Of these, 37% were aware it was WSPD and 66% had previously had a conversation about suicide.

29% of those asked had experienced suicidal thoughts, in which 38% spoke to a friend or relative about their thoughts, 28% to their GP staff and 37% to mental health staff. 34% spoke to no-one about their suicidal thoughts.

66% felt they would be able to ask someone they knew if they were having suicidal thoughts.

In 2017, 68% of people knew someone who had died by suicide, and 80% felt able to approach a stranger who seemed distressed.  

If you are in crisis or feeling suicidal, please contact your General Practitioner or telephone helplines such as Samaritans 116 123 (free to call from UK landlines and mobiles) or by discussing your problems with a friend or colleague. 

Visit our support page for more information.

IMG_7747.JPG.44c36e0fd3ffac942e45a19fc02afa9c.JPG

DHCFT's Dr Allan Johnston, State of Mind's Jimmy Gittins and local author Kalwinder Singh Dhindsa at WSPD 2016.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, angieram said:

I have posted in previous years about the work that we do to raise awareness of and prevent suicides here in Derbyshire. We have been at two DCFC matches recently.

This year we are rather ambitiously going on tour across Derbyshire! If you are at any of the matches please come across and say hello.

World Suicide Prevention Day

For 2018 WSPD, on the following dates, ourselves along-side many other volunteers, will be outside football club grounds and stadiums a couple of hours before kick-off to offer information, guidance or just a listening ear.

You will find us at:

Saturday 8th September 2018

Alfreton Town vs. Guiseley - K.O 3.00pm Impact Arena, North St, Alfreton, DE55 7FZ

Chestefield vs. Dover Athletic - K.O 3.00pm Proact Stadium, 1866 Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, S41 8NZ

Saturday 15th September 2018

Belper Town vs. Cleethorpes Town - K.O 3.00pm Christchurch Meadow, Bridge Street Belper, DE56 1BA

Sheffield vs. Gresley - K.O 3.00pm Sheffield FC Stadium, Sheffield Road, Dronfield, S18 2GD

Tuesday 18th September 2018 

Derby County vs. Blackburn Rovers - K.O 7.45pm, Pride Park Stadium, Derby, DE24 8XL

Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has proudly supported the International Association for Suicide Prevention's World Suicide Prevention Day since 2016, which takes place on September 10th every year. This event aims to raise awareness of suicide - specifically in groups who otherwise may not discuss the topic. 

On the day, DHCFT worked along side many partners:

Samaritans

Cruise

Derby County Community Trust

Chesterfield FC Community Trust

Public Health

Derby County Council 

National Suicide Prevention Alliance

and spoke to fans at football stadiums about suicide and suicidal thoughts. We also handed out cards containing information and contact numbers for suicide support lines.

2018's WSPD theme is: Working together to prevent suicide

For more information on 2018's World Suicide Prevention Day, please visit: https://iasp.info/wspd2018/

DCFC.png.a4e22307cfcc4a7dffc1f441b7291806.png

Contact cards given to fans at DCFC and Chesterfield FC

As part of the day, a survey was given out to gather information from the public regarding their attitudes and experiences of suicide and suicidal thoughts.

2016 and 2017 survey findings summary

The survey was completed by a total of 371 people. Of these, 37% were aware it was WSPD and 66% had previously had a conversation about suicide.

29% of those asked had experienced suicidal thoughts, in which 38% spoke to a friend or relative about their thoughts, 28% to their GP staff and 37% to mental health staff. 34% spoke to no-one about their suicidal thoughts.

66% felt they would be able to ask someone they knew if they were having suicidal thoughts.

In 2017, 68% of people knew someone who had died by suicide, and 80% felt able to approach a stranger who seemed distressed.  

If you are in crisis or feeling suicidal, please contact your General Practitioner or telephone helplines such as Samaritans 116 123 (free to call from UK landlines and mobiles) or by discussing your problems with a friend or colleague. 

Visit our support page for more information.

IMG_7747.JPG.44c36e0fd3ffac942e45a19fc02afa9c.JPG

DHCFT's Dr Allan Johnston, State of Mind's Jimmy Gittins and local author Kalwinder Singh Dhindsa at WSPD 2016.

Fantastic work angie it’s an issue that has touched our family very deeply and it’s only when it does you realise the scale of it and the numbers of people who take they’re own lives

57 minutes ago, Boycie said:

A great cause this, and I hope people get solice out of visiting it.

Is it going anywhere near Stoke?

I don't know but we did pioneer it in Derbyshire and I was told that our footballing neighbours in Nottingham were making enquiries! 

Not that we did anything exclusive - we just thought "How can we raise awareness to a load of blokes who wouldn't go anywhere near a wellbeing event?"

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't know but we did pioneer it in Derbyshire and I was told that our footballing neighbours in Nottingham were making enquiries! 

Not that we did anything exclusive - we just thought "How can we raise awareness to a load of blokes who wouldn't go anywhere near a wellbeing event?"

Well, regards a Stoke event put chips on!?

I have my ups and downs and through my job can be driving quite a lot.

I find driving can be a time where depending on your mind set is a bit hit and miss.  Lots of time to think.

Keep up the great work!

I don't know if anyone else saw Reported Missing on the Beeb last night, Very moving programme watching a family's journey as suicidal husband/father goes missing. Remarkable they would let a camera crew follow them.. but a real insight into the impact depression has on the people around you.

Well worth a watch on iPlayer

Archived