What's fun in Derby

Angry Ram

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickfords House is fairly interesting.

Museum better than it looks from the outside.

Good selection of bars and restaurants - Bunk, Brooklyn Social, Orange Tree, Terroir Bistro, Lorentes, Hide, Suds and Soda, Bear, Greyhound, Exeter Arms, etc

River Gardens on a weekday lunchtime if sunny is nice.

Walk up to Darley Park and wander through Darley Abbey Mills.

Bustler Market!

Very good cinema

Quad if you like your modern art

Year long programme of festivals

Bowling

Blok-In

Visit the Cathedral

Loads of ideas here - https://www.lovederby.com/blog/101-things-to-do-in-derby/

2 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Good selection of bars and restaurants - Bunk, Brooklyn Social, Orange Tree, Terroir Bistro, Lorentes, Hide, Suds and Soda, Bear, Greyhound, Exeter Arms, etc

Some of the dullest places in Derby.

I prefer The White Horse, The Neptune, Metro Bar, Tiger Bar, The Jorrocks and The Noahs Ark, not classy but you can have a laugh and hear some good music.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Some of the dullest places in Derby.

I prefer The White Horse, The Neptune, Metro Bar, Tiger Bar, The Jorrocks and The Noahs Ark, not classy but you can have a laugh and hear some good music.

Not sure what makes them dull, I've had plenty of laughs and heard good music in them too.

I think I've been in most of the places you've mentioned and had a good time, just dont end up in them often.

And it's a good thing Derby has loads of different places that cater for all tastes.

Riverlights multi-storey car park for its architectural merit; The market place fountain as a fine artesian spectacle; The rings on the Spot for their contemporary art; The monolithic structure that is the Assembly Rooms; The mockitechture named the Eagle Market. 

When this tour has been undertaken, I would suggest that you take a well earned rest by parking your bottom on the stone slabs situated at St Michaels Cross with the junction of St Peters Street and East Street. Here you could people watch to pass the time of day. You may well find many personages who find themselves in a form of self-inflicted stupor; one could say almost zombie like. You may even be sitting next to one.

Most fun I ever had in Derby was going shopping on mushrooms. I became fixated on umbrellas, and had to buy all the different ones I could find, then secrete them around the cathedral without being seen. 

We made our own entertainment in those days. 

Archived