The Gerald Mortimer Collection Returns to Derby

David

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, David said:

One for @loweman2

Hopefully be the start of something more permanent at Pride Park, it’s going to be on display on Sunday at the memorabilia event at lunchtime, I was asked to take some of my stuff along but didn’t get enough notice, I think that if their is some interest from the fans and the public then the potential for a museum could increase.

Is the club big enough to have a stand alone museum? 

Would it not make sense to have the items displayed in cabinets within Pride Park such as Igor’s or the Pedigree Suite.

Areas which can be seen by fans on match days or incorporated into the Pride Park tour. 

The Yard would have been a great opportunity to build a bar/restaurant/museum that would have been more accessible, as would the new coffee shop.

Clubs such as Barcelona are tourist attractions and have hundreds of visitors per day go through the Nou Camp, I’ve done it myself.

I just don’t see that level of demand at Derby to lose retail space (revenue) for a dedicated museum.

1 hour ago, David said:

Would it not make sense to have the items displayed in cabinets within Pride Park such as Igor’s or the Pedigree Suite.

Areas which can be seen by fans on match days or incorporated into the Pride Park tour. 

The Yard would have been a great opportunity to build a bar/restaurant/museum that would have been more accessible, as would the new coffee shop.

Clubs such as Barcelona are tourist attractions and have hundreds of visitors per day go through the Nou Camp, I’ve done it myself.

I just don’t see that level of demand at Derby to lose retail space (revenue) for a dedicated museum.

Do they do a virtual armchair tour?

11 hours ago, David said:

Wouldn't need a lot of space. One FA Cup, two Div 1 trophies, Watney Cup, Texaco Cup, Charity Shield, Anglo-Italian cup final programme, a pennant from when we played someone from abroad, coffee cup. Exit left please. Reckon they could do it in the storage cupboard next to boardroom.

The club has a long history with plenty of interludes of success. Plus I’m sure there,s some examples of thrilling matches, controversial events, exciting players, etc. There’s plenty of social history of the Club along with physical items to easily make a well thought out, well designed museum. It could be part of the ground as a general attraction along with the stadium and food and drink.

Just do what they've done at the Hawthorns.

large black and white photos of greatest events  and players. International caps, match balls etc in cabinets on the way to conference rooms.

Any club that has a museum per se is saying, like Villa, that their best days are all in the past.

The days under Clough and Taylor are far more than simply a Div two trophy, League And Central League championship with Watney Cup (all 3 in the same season!) and a Texaco cup and Euro semis for good measure.

Any good football club has to be a vital, living organism.

The time to have thought about a museum would have been when making the BaseBall Ground a living testimony to all that was best in the history of football, not a glorified mausoleum at Pride Park after destroying the BBG and all it represented to so many fans.

To some extent we already do that. There is the big display area in reception, and both Moor Farm and Pride Park corridors have a great selection of enlarged photos along the walls. We even have the big murals of magic moments in the concourses around the various stands.

I honestly think we don't notice some of these things , they become part of the furniture.

As for extending the 'museum' I have previously mentioned it would be good to be a part of the East Stand development along the lines of a Hard Rock Café, so that it can be seen by the many, rather than the few.

I'm a bit surprised that GM's family didn't just offer the minutes book back to the club as a gift.

afterall gerald presumably got it from the club in the first place.

The letters that he typed were clearly his, and fair enough to auction.

Archived