Netflix

David

I know we have a thread on TV, but wanted something specific to Netflix only, I can’t be the only one that doesn’t bother with Amazon Prime and Sky Boxsets. 

Coming to the end of Season 2 of Ozark and need some suggestions of where to go next.

Before I go on, Ozark. For those that haven’t seen it has the Breaking Bad feel to it, just your normal neighbourhood bloke getting into business you wouldn’t expect. Not drugs this time but money laundering.

First season was great, second season I’m torn on, but as it’s been out less than a week I won’t post any spoilers. With 3 episodes left myself and all I will say is it feels like they are putting in a bit too much drama if that makes sense. 

It has me hooked still, only started it yesterday and smashed through 7 episodes but with the “oh yeah, here we go again” feeling. 

Whilst I’m here, if you are into your everyday man getting into dodgy businsss, Good Girls is worth a watch, as the title would suggest it’s a female version. A bit slapsticky but it’s easy going, will give you a few laughs whilst holding on to a decent enough storyline. Full credit to srg for putting me on to that.

Chuck your Netflix recommendations in here, tell us what you’re watching and whilst it’s open for everyone so I don’t have to go through the initial first posts telling me to watch [insert seen it], here is a list of what I have seen.

Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Suits, Ozark, The Sinner, Safe, Mindhunter, Manhunt:Unabomber, White Gold, Stranger Things, The Mist, Better Call Saul, Good Girls. 

All of which are worth a watch if people haven’t, but I would leave Stranger Things and The Mist down the bottom of your list or when you want something a bit cheesy/nostalgic.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get Amazon Prime TV as a side effect of having Amazon Prime for deliveries, but it's pretty weak when it comes to stuff worth watching. Kind of struggling on with Mr Robot at the moment but hald way through Season 2 and it's hard going

I thought Netflix was expensive but we looked last night (as the missus wants to watch the new Orange is The New Black) and it's only £6 a month now for the basic package. Probably going to drop my Virgin Media TV right down to the minimum and do Netflix instead

Netflix is a bargain for the content it has, at times you need to ask around for recommendations as they keep shoving the same shows at you, which I’m sure has nothing to do with what you have watched but what they want to get numbers on.

Orange is the new Black for example has been at the top of my recommendations list the entire time I’ve been subscribed yet never watched an episode of it. 

If I could have Sky just for Sky Sports I would but I have to pay £14pm just for the basic package which I never use. 

1 minute ago, David said:

If I could have Sky just for Sky Sports I would but I have to pay £14pm just for the basic package which I never use. 

Pretty much the same here, I don't watch much tv but when I do its 90% Sport, the new weekly movie if its any good followed by the occasional documentary - if I could just pay for the sport I'd do that. However, I pay for a full Sky Package, Netflix and get Amazon TV free with Prime (although I do watch the new Top Gear that's exclusive to Prime) cos wife n kids ?

Shooter is worth a watch - far fetched, indestructible hero, conspiracies everywhere - but normally entertaining (in a 'switch your brain off and enjoy' sort of way).....

Also, if you don't mind the more adult Marvel series, Jessica Jones is good and the Punisher is excellent (though again, indestructible hero and large dollops of OTT violence) - Daredevil is pretty good as well - Luke Cage is cheesy and has some atrocious acting and Iron Fist is a bit crap (but that may just be that I have an urge to punch the lead character....)

Designated Survivor was a great idea, but as it moves on, it seems they want to combine a Homeland style conspiracy programme with a soap opera (also, has some of the worst examples of 'British' characters, with awful plummy accents - do Yanks really think we all talk like that?)

If you can stomach watching Spacey after the recent revelations, the US version of House of Cards was well done (though they should have quit before the last series)

Recently started on Travelers - only 3 episodes in, but seems promising....

1 hour ago, David said:

Netflix is a bargain for the content it has, at times you need to ask around for recommendations as they keep shoving the same shows at you, which I’m sure has nothing to do with what you have watched but what they want to get numbers on.

Orange is the new Black for example has been at the top of my recommendations list the entire time I’ve been subscribed yet never watched an episode of it.

Is it just the Netflix Productions that they push then? I guess the stuff they have funded and made themselves like OITNB is the stuff they need to promote the most. I watch OITNB by proxy and it's quite entertaining but clearly aimed at the ladies. You're probably wise to swerve it

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Is it just the Netflix Productions that they push then? I guess the stuff they have funded and made themselves like OITNB is the stuff they need to promote the most. I watch OITNB by proxy and it's quite entertaining but clearly aimed at the ladies. You're probably wise to swerve it

Around 80% of trending is Netflix Originals, do like to push their content which some of it is pretty good to be fair.

I would love to see a top chart like in iTunes with number of views that’s updated daily. Plus the old thumbs up and down ratings.

Won’t happen though, which is weird as you would think they would want genuine feedback to see what people like and don’t.

I put @David onto Ozark.

On Netflix:-

In the last 12 months, I have watched:- Power. Sherlock, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Lockup, Dirk Gently, Safe, Seven Seconds, Person of Interest, Jessica Jones, Altered Carbon, Damnation, Dope, Marcella, Manhunt, Black Mirror, Godless, The Sinner, The Punisher, Mindhunter

Archived