Eric Steele on Radio Derby today

David

Special mention for Eric Steele filling in on Radio Derby today, thought he did a great job on the airwaves. 

I’m a fully signed up member of the Craig Ramage fan club but it would be a shame if that’s the last we hear from him.

If not Radio Derby, maybe a cheeky role somewhere on RamsTV?

(I’m not his agent, just like the bloke)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was really interesting to listen too..........a very different viewpoint from a goalie who has had a lot of time to assess what is going on in front of him all over the pitch. A very knowledgeable in depth account of events.............. and he noticed that Keogh verbalised directions to his troops during the game.There goes a myth!?

Talks like a guy who has played and worked at the highest level of the game.. Oh wait he has ? you don't sound like a mug on the radio if you've worked under Sir Alex Ferguson. 

Eric is an absolute gent, never met anyone with a bad word to say against him. Well maybe Rush and Clement, tossers.

He just loves football, and specifically goalkeeping. I saw him at the Derby 10k in March and took a book on Goalkeeping for him, he took it and announced that he was off to a GK conference that afternoon and he would be meeting the author.

Just a genuinely nice bloke.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Very good I thought,a great stand in

Prefer ramage tho

I like Ramage but you have to admit our Radio Derby commentators are a bit glass half empty a bit too often... sometimes when it’s tight I can feel them reving up for an “I told you so moment” before our opponents score. Now that may be justified in technical terms but jeees you just want em to zip it sometimes ! Curse of the gloom monger or something 

I remember Eric used to summarise quite a lot in the past in the 90s before he worked for Derby and also did a stint post Ian Hall. Always liked him then.

Talks a hell of a lot of sense and you get a balanced reflection of the game and where we’re at as a club, whereas Ramage can sometimes be inconsistent and ruled by emotion. But his passion is unquestioned, depends what you want I guess.

I actually think the worst summariser I remember was Snake! Really struggled to listen to him. 

35 minutes ago, Alligator said:

Totally agree. I like Ramage and I love his passion, but Eric was different, and different in a good way. Would definitely like to hear more of him. 

For local radio, passion and support for your team should be a given but to be professional (I assume he's being paid) the aim should still be to give the listener as best as possible an accurate picture of what's happening on the pitch. By and large, Ramage fails and don't start me on his sidekick - when you think of some of the commentators who have gone before him it beggars belief.

Archived