Reading suggestions

dog

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone help me? Once when I was a library member, I read a great book by a presumed Scottish author.

It started with a hit man killing someone with a crossbow bolt made of ice, and ended up in a confrontation between said hitman and his childhood friend, who was the books protagonist, in a dam/power plant?

Great read, anyone any ideas on the author or title?

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Can anyone help me? Once when I was a library member, I read a great book by a presumed Scottish author.

It started with a hit man killing someone with a crossbow bolt made of ice, and ended up in a confrontation between said hitman and his childhood friend, who was the books protagonist, in a dam/power plant?

Great read, anyone any ideas on the author or title?

Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man? That's the only book I can think of with a crossbow which fires ice bolts. The only other killing I can think of with ice involved in a killing is "I Have no Mouth - Yet I Must Scream" - a SF short story about a computer called "A.M.". That was an icicle, I think.

10 hours ago, eddie said:

Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man? That's the only book I can think of with a crossbow which fires ice bolts. The only other killing I can think of with ice involved in a killing is "I Have no Mouth - Yet I Must Scream" - a SF short story about a computer called "A.M.". That was an icicle, I think.

Thanks, it wasn't that though, after extensive googling I think it was called 'A big boy did it and ran away', by Christopher Brookmyre. 

Very sweary and very funny as I remember vaguely.

I'm currently re-re-reading Douglas Adams. I started the week before last when my tinternets was dead. Started with HHG, currently on Restaurant. Let's have no trouble from you lot or I'll have to read you some Vogon poetry.

On 30/08/2018 at 21:26, reveldevil said:

James Lee Burke's novels are ok, in a similar vein.

As are Ian Rankin's Rebus novels.

Reading this back I'm not fulsome enough in my praise of Ian Rankin.

They really are excellent, and available in 3 novel at a time books, which make them excellent value too.

11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

They really are excellent, and available in 3 novel at a time books, which make them excellent value too.

Is this what it has come to; having to read back your own posts to find something of interest.

You need to get out more. Up Town Tops Rankin.

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Is this what it has come to; having to read back your own posts to find something of interest.

You need to get out more. Up Town Tops Rankin.

Quite brilliant, you're wasted anywhere but the stage.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

on this recommendation, 2 of my favourite posters, I've just bought a 10 book set off ebay of Ian Rankin Rebus novels.

25 minutes ago, Moist One said:

on this recommendation, 2 of my favourite posters, I've just bought a 10 book set off ebay of Ian Rankin Rebus novels.

I hope you like them. I read them before I briefly caught the TV series, neither version of which did justice to the books, although the Ken Stott version was closer to the Rebus I imagined than the earlier one. 

One tip I'd share, save a chapter or two for late night reading with a side of scotch, really brings the books to life imo.

Archived