Champs League draw

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It would be quite ironic, considering that they got the easiest possible route to the final last year!

Barcelona were the ones that messed that up. Somebody had to get Roma.

Liverpool had City who were at the time playing the best football in Europe. Officials did them a huge favour though.

I think the ‘easiest’ tag belongs to Real Madrid in 2015/16. If I’m not mistaken they got Roma, Wolfsburg and Man City (who at the time were 4th in the PL during the Leicester season) before playing Atletico in the final who they beat on penalties. Now that’s lucky.

Liverpool could well get a really difficult group. They’re going to be paired with a really good side if they don’t get Loko Moscow. One of the Spaniards, PSG, Bayern or Juve. 

I’d personally love to see them get PSG from pot one and Napoli from pot two. Hoffenheim from pot four to complete it.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Barcelona were the ones that messed that up. Somebody had to get Roma.

Liverpool had City who were at the time playing the best football in Europe. Officials did them a huge favour though.

I think the ‘easiest’ tag belongs to Real Madrid in 2015/16. If I’m not mistaken they got Roma, Wolfsburg and Man City (who at the time were 4th in the PL during the Leicester season) before playing Atletico in the final who they beat on penalties. Now that’s lucky.

Liverpool could well get a really difficult group. They’re going to be paired with a really good side if they don’t get Loko Moscow. One of the Spaniards, PSG, Bayern or Juve. 

I’d personally love to see them get PSG from pot one and Napoli from pot two. Hoffenheim from pot four to complete it.

Barcelona at least had Juve in the group, other than City, and of course the final, Liverpool played only teams you'd expect them to comfortably beat. 

This year I easily could see Liverpool get a tough group. Pot 2 has a lot of good teams in it, pot 4 also has inter. You could get a group of death situation with Barca/Dortmund/Liverpool/Inter which would be extremely difficult.

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Barcelona at least had Juve in the group, other than City, and of course the final, Liverpool played only teams you'd expect them to comfortably beat. 

This year I easily could see Liverpool get a tough group. Pot 2 has a lot of good teams in it, pot 4 also has inter. You could get a group of death situation with Barca/Dortmund/Liverpool/Inter which would be extremely difficult.

Ah, I meant Liverpool would have had a harder run, but Barcelona messed up against Roma meaning at least one of Madrid, Bayern or Liverpool were going to have a semi-final tie against a team they really ought to be beating.

Yeah Liverpool had an easier group too last year. 

Barca my favourites to win the whole thing. Messi looks more motivated than ever and the likes of Coutinho, Arturo Vidal and Dembele will give them another edge. The year after the last World Cup, Barca won the treble. I can’t see them being as complacent as they were against Roma again.

Atletico Madrid are the other team I think could win it. No team will like to play them. In knockout games they are good but the trouble last season was qualifying through the group, which could be attributed because they were in transition and after moving into a new stadium. The experience of winning the Europa league after losing a few finals will benefit them greatly.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Seem to remember them comfortably winning a group with Real and Dortmund, a harder group.

Madrid and Dortmund were in terrible form when they played spurs and fair play to spurs they capitalised on that. The season before Spurs flopped in the group stage.

Inter could go far. They have a world class defence and keeper and have the quality of Icardi and Perisic up front. 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Madrid and Dortmund were in terrible form when they played spurs and fair play to spurs they capitalised on that. The season before Spurs flopped in the group stage.

Inter could go far. They have a world class defence and keeper and have the quality of Icardi and Perisic up front. 

Inter have 1 point in 2 games so far in Serie A? Think they're overrated. We'll see after they start playing each other, but I see Spurs winning this group, with Barca in second and Inter and PSV being a way adrift at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Inter have 1 point in 2 games so far in Serie A? Think they're overrated. We'll see after they start playing each other, but I see Spurs winning this group, with Barca in second and Inter and PSV being a way adrift at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think spurs are a bit overrated to be honest. A lot of hype was made after the Man Utd game but Man Utd dominated the game. But for poor individual errors at the back and a keeper(De Gea) who can’t save anything at the moment, Utd would have won. Spurs have a keeper who is prone to mistakes and dele and eriksen are inconsistent in big games. I’m not sure Son will be fit by the time the games come either, who was their best player in the champions league last season in my opinion. Kane is world class but I’d be interested to see how he does against a team who plays a deeper line but with top defenders at the back like Inter. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I think spurs are a bit overrated to be honest. A lot of hype was made after the Man Utd game but Man Utd dominated the game. But for poor individual errors at the back and a keeper(De Gea) who can’t save anything at the moment, Utd would have won. Spurs have a keeper who is prone to mistakes and dele and eriksen are inconsistent in big games. I’m not sure Son will be fit by the time the games come either, who was their best player in the champions league last season in my opinion. Kane is world class but I’d be interested to see how he does against a team who plays a deeper line but with top defenders at the back like Inter. 

I'm not sure that they're overrated, I think they're underrated, considering over the last 3 years they have either the most, or the second most points in England after City. Tell me which of those chances De Gea could have saved? They have Kane and Eriksen who are undeniably world class, supported by the now fit and firing Lucas Moura and Alli. Also probably the best centre back pairing in the world in Vertonghen and Alderweireld, and a wonderful RWB in Trippier. 

Obviously only time will tell, but I didn't rate Suarez's performances at the World Cup at all. Coutinho was excellent, and Messi is always excellent, but I don't see Barca's defense causing Spurs many problems. If Inter are so good, why have they started so poorly in a weak league? Is this you overrating Inter, as you claim Spurs are overrated.

Archived