Max Lowe - joined Aberdeen on loan, now back at PP but back to Aberdeen

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'll be honest, I haven't seen much at all wrong with Max Lowe in the few games he's played for us. I don't buy that he's a poor defender. I don't think his positioning or marking is at all bad. When he played against Wolves, he was first to absolutely everything. In fact, it was one of the most impressive individual performances I'd seen in a long, long time. 

After being our best player in pre-season, he rightly started the season and he was impacted in being in a couple of nervy performances as was the rest of the team. I don't think he was anywhere near close to being one of the worst offenders, though. 

I would say he's not that great in the air, although you should really make allowances for that. An example being Davies picking up Reading's striker for their goal - not Lowe. Again, it just comes down to a bit of disconnect in a new system and a new feel defence. 

Forsyth has earned the right to play, at the right time. I would guess it would have been him going otherwise, not Lowe. Lowe is just very unlucky & should do really well in the pub league. 

He ran past a few disinterested Wolves players in a friendly. I was excited too, but when you boil it all down, that was what happened.

Even in that Wolves game, he was trying a few weird passes with the outside of his foot that looked good because they came off, but if he tried it in a competitive game when the opposition are that yard closer, he could have put his team-mates in a lot of trouble.

Agree that others have made worse mistakes, but those have been flashes of bizarre behaviour from experienced individuals. Lowe’s lapses, bar Leeds, haven’t really cost us anything but it’s the nature of them that concerns me - things like passing to a winger under pressure and then running on expecting an unrealistic return pass, playing to opposition players blind, overlapping at the wrong moment and being caught out of position defensively.

I know he’s had injuries, but he’s 21. That’s not that young. Not sure he should still be learning the basics of the position in his early twenties. Compare it to Bogle, and there’s night and day difference in terms of nouse as a full back, and Bogle has three years on him.

We all want to happen with Lowe, because he’s one of our own and he’s really exciting on the ball. Think there’s an exciting Championsip wide player there, but as a left-back, when everyone is fit, he’s 4th choice for me.

Can see the reasoning behind this one with us having three left backs, but I was rather hoping that he might push in to be part of the first team this season. A resurgent Forsyth has put bed to this for now, but I can’t help but worry whether he’ll return to type, in which case Lowe will almost certainly become the better option. Suppose you can’t be covering all bases quite that much and restricting lowes progress though so a loan spell probably is the best option for him. Still has massive potential imo so good to see him going to a high level, hopefully he plays and gets them inexperience mistakes out the way and returns a more reliable player, because he certainly already has the footballing ability.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

He ran past a few disinterested Wolves players in a friendly. I was excited too, but when you boil it all down, that was what happened.

Even in that Wolves game, he was trying a few weird passes with the outside of his foot that looked good because they came off, but if he tried it in a competitive game when the opposition are that yard closer, he could have put his team-mates in a lot of trouble.

Agree that others have made worse mistakes, but those have been flashes of bizarre behaviour from experienced individuals. Lowe’s lapses, bar Leeds, haven’t really cost us anything but it’s the nature of them that concerns me - things like passing to a winger under pressure and then running on expecting an unrealistic return pass, playing to opposition players blind, overlapping at the wrong moment and being caught out of position defensively.

I know he’s had injuries, but he’s 21. That’s not that young. Not sure he should still be learning the basics of the position in his early twenties. Compare it to Bogle, and there’s night and day difference in terms of nouse as a full back, and Bogle has three years on him.

We all want to happen with Lowe, because he’s one of our own and he’s really exciting on the ball. Think there’s an exciting Championsip wide player there, but as a left-back, when everyone is fit, he’s 4th choice for me.

Shrews manager Hurst last season moved a centre back to left back to cover injuries, and left Max on the bench.

Says a lot looking back.

The more I think about it the more it sounds like a good move.

I dont think anyone would disagree that he has talent and all the athleticism to be a good player. 

The bit thats missing is hard game time and mentally tough experiences. 

At Aberdeen he will go from playing in front of 3k at Hamilton and Livingston on plastic pitches to 60k full houses at Parkhead and Ibrox. Those 2 away games will certainly test him mentally because he will be going there with a team expecting to take points. 

He'll also experience full houses at Tynecastle and Easter Road which can nasty places to visit. 

At Aberdeen, he will be playing for a club expecting semi final places as a minimum in both cups and that will be a new challange for him.  

All in all, he will be completely out of his comfort zone, and it may well be the making of him.

Given Fozzy’s apparent return to form (although still a bit early to know for certain), Lowe will be 3rd choice. He’s been unlucky, played well v reading - goal was inexperience against bodvarsson who is as good as anyone in the air in this league, he didn’t do much wrong. He had a poor game against Leeds but lots did.

He is quality but needs to play games. I would only Loan him until Jan then re-assess. This guy will be Derby’s future first choice left back. 

Glad it’s only jan. if he struggles for whatever reason he comes back soon. If he does well and we get injuries or bad performances from our left backs he can come back in contention. Or he’ll do well and our left backs will perform and he might stay the season. Hope he does well. 

On 29/08/2018 at 12:17, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Only a few weeks ago I genuinely thought he was going to be the next big player to emerge from the youth set-up.

He might still be

On 29/08/2018 at 12:20, Mr Tibbs said:

Not a bad shout if true, will certainly be a testing level for him. 

A move down or at best across

23 hours ago, northantsram said:

This is 100% the right decision.. deffo a player in there but needs to improve a lot on his game management and understanding of positioning ex ...

2 good championship left backs already in the squad.

Agreed

22 hours ago, caymanram said:

Thing is though, that he is only being touted by Aberdeen as ‘back up’. If he goes we need real guarantees of game time.....otherwise the move is pointless.

Again agreed

23 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Could easily have happened after last nights game, maybe they had someone their watching him.

With only 3 days left of the loan window loan deals will happen out of nowhere.

I still think the club know who their 1 new face already is and just waiting on a few outs.

Is there a new face expected? Where is that muted? Have I missed something?

Was expecting a longer term contract than three years at his age tbf, surprised me that one, prospects like these are the ones deserving of your 4/5 year contracts, not the prem rejects we’ve handed them out to in the past. Least he’s tied down now though, hope he gets some game time at Aberdeen as that’ll set him up perfectly imo. Interesting how it’s only until January, with the number of left backs we have and olsson back in the new year too I’d have thought a season long loan would have been safe enough.

Archived