View from the outside 2018-2019

Derbados

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Depends what you class as awful performances? 

You don't finish in the play offs after a season of awful performances. 

We beat Boro 3-0 at their place last year, is anything less than that going to be classed as awful? 

First half at Middlesbrough last season was awful. I still don’t know how they didn’t know how they didn’t score with the amount of crosses they put in our penalty area.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Depends what you class as awful performances? 

You don't finish in the play offs after a season of awful performances. 

We beat Boro 3-0 at their place last year, is anything less than that going to be classed as awful? 

Wouldn't have called most of them awful, just totally uninspiring. Glad the man has gone and I was one of those who generally supported him - at least until the Fulham 2nd leg debacle. That was unforgivable!

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Living in the East End all my West Ham pals call him Lumplard. He did waddle around a bit in his younger days, but then became svelte once the sports science professionals took over the game. Part of the work ethic he's instilling in the rest of them - he absolutely maximized his (not inconsiderable) ability.

Yep. West Ham fans pretty much hounded him out of the club and have been crying into their Carlings ever since. More fool them. Sports science played a part in getting Frank trim but by all accounts, he trained harder and longer than just about any player in the Premiership so the loss of puppy fat was mostly due to his own hard work and commitment. It's an ethos he is clearly trying to instill into our squad now and we it seems to be paying dividends. I can't recall seeing a fitter Derby squad than the current group of players. 

53 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Yep. West Ham fans pretty much hounded him out of the club and have been crying into their Carlings ever since. More fool them. Sports science played a part in getting Frank trim but by all accounts, he trained harder and longer than just about any player in the Premiership so the loss of puppy fat was mostly due to his own hard work and commitment. It's an ethos he is clearly trying to instill into our squad now and we it seems to be paying dividends. I can't recall seeing a fitter Derby squad than the current group of players. 

Is there a danger we might end up doing what happened to Liverpool when they first got klopp: shooting out the traps with a high energy, high press, then run out of steam 3 quarters through the season (just in time for February)?

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Is there a danger we might end up doing what happened to Liverpool when they first got klopp: shooting out the traps with a high energy, high press, then run out of steam 3 quarters through the season (just in time for February)?

Not sure Tedd, but I'd say there's a danger we'll miss all the fun worrying about stuff that may never happen. I'm not sure we've really 'shot out of the traps' anyway to be honest. We're peaking almost a third of the way into the season so I'd venture it's taken Frank and Jody this long to get fitness levels to where they want them. I think I'd be more concerned about injuries than burn out if I were worried about anything right now but we do seem to have decent cover in most positions.

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

We didn't really shoot out of the traps doing it though, it's only the last 3 or 4 games we've only really got it together and still haven't really done it for a full 90 minutes.

43 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

This is where Holmes, Evans and a rejuvenated Nugent and Wisdom can give us fresh energy.

Rotating Forsyth and Malone should keep them fresh too. 

Marriott and Tom missed the start of the season so they should last.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

A midfield of evans, Johnson, Bryson for example wwould still be decent

Agree,Think their is a good natured competition for places and a real team spirit.

Good cover for most positions where players should be able to step in and up to the mark.

Nugent and Marriot, Forsyth- Malone,  Hudds- Johnstone plus fringe players all trying to break into the team.All looking promising for the season 

From the Boro forum matchday thread: 

• derby are a beautiful team to watch

• Flint and Ayala are getting outjumped by Tomori and Keogh and our midfield's getting outpressed only one way this game's heading so far.

• Pulis is being shown up by a rookie manager.

• disgraceful first 20 mins completely outclassed,

• think the main reason that goal happens is because of how much control Derby had.

• Gosh we miss Shotton

• 63 mins played and Carson has yet to touch the ball aside from goal kicks.

• Tomomi's MOTM here he's dominated our whole team from CBs to strikers he's just been a monster for them.

• I'll take a point now, absolute daylight robbery if we come out of this with any result.

• absolute thievery.

• Well a very undeserved point in a game where we should have been battered. 0-4 wouldn’t have been wrong

• We were comfortably outplayed and very lucky to get away with a point

• I’ve got to admit though, I was sitting their today watching Derby spray the ball around with their young, dynamic team and I was thinking I’d rather have that and Frank sitting in our dugout.

• Whether it lasts for them or not we’ll wait and see, but he seems to be building something good there.

• Tom summed it up well in Twitter, when saying that what Lampards doing at Derby is similar to what Monk was trying to do at Boro last year. The main difference is Franks stuck with his style and tactics, whereas Monk panicked and just ended up trying anything that would work

• think a draw was about a fair result from that. Derby were the better footballing team, but they did make some clangers at the back, particularly Carson. He looked nervous as anything.

• Derby looked lightyears ahead. Lampard going there reminds me of Robson coming here. They have players wanting to play... Motivated, excited.. Our lot look short of ideas, scared of the ball. Never a forward pass, a run beyond the ball.

Some very nice things being said by posters on the BEEB match report thread. Suffice to say that Derby's profile is rocketing by the day which will doubtless bring tremendous commercial rewards as well as making us a very attractive option for young talent from the transfer market. We're also making lots of new friends too with the way we are trying to play which is nice! ?                                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45961339?isBumped=0&postFreq=0&isEmpty=0&isProfane=0&tooLong=0&charCount=0&isAwaitingProcessPreMod=0&isSubmitted=1&filter=none&initial_page_size=10&postId=132316089#comment_132316089

17 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Some very nice things being said by posters on the BEEB match report thread. Suffice to say that Derby's profile is rocketing by the day which will doubtless bring tremendous commercial rewards as well as making us a very attractive option for young talent from the transfer market. We're also making lots of new friends too with the way we are trying to play which is nice! ?                                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45961339?isBumped=0&postFreq=0&isEmpty=0&isProfane=0&tooLong=0&charCount=0&isAwaitingProcessPreMod=0&isSubmitted=1&filter=none&initial_page_size=10&postId=132316089#comment_132316089

Forrest Gumps will still believe that the greek gangster's multimillion£ signings are better than our teenage loans and academy kids.

Wonder what Frank could do if he spent any money? 

15 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Forrest Gumps will still believe that the greek gangster's multimillion£ signings are better than our teenage loans and academy kids.

Wonder what Frank could do if he spent any money? 

They may well think that and good for them but all the football sensible ones admit that whilst they get results it’s boring to watch unlike we are going to play football and attack from the rams - after Clement Pearson and Rowett I know what I prefer 

Archived