Vardy retires from England

Jimmy Skitz

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/28/jamie-vardy-retires-england-gareth-southgate-leicester

Jamie Vardy has all but retired from playing for England after informing Gareth Southgate that he believes the time is right for him to focus solely on club football.

The Leicester striker, who turns 32 in January, says that a number of factors have influenced his decision, including his age and a desire to spend more time with his family, after accepting he is unlikely to feature much for England even if he remains part of the squad.

Vardy, who has won 26 caps and been in every England squad since his first call-up in May 2015, spoke to Southgate just before returning from the World Cup finals in Russia, to explain that he was thinking of stepping aside. He confirmed that was still his intention during a telephone conversation with Southgate a fortnight ago, when the England manager wondered whether Vardy might have changed his mind before next month’s fixtures against Spain and Switzerland.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stanley Matthews played his last England international at the age of 42. I sometimes wonder what he and other men of his generation would make of all these modern footballers who retire from international duty in their early 30's or late 20's.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Stanley Matthews played his last England international at the age of 42. I sometimes wonder what he and other men of his generation would make of all these modern footballers who retire from international duty in their early 30's or late 20's.

I think he would accept that the game has moved on a bit and expecting people to still be playing at that age is a bit mad?

29 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think he would accept that the game has moved on a bit and expecting people to still be playing at that age is a bit mad?

42 is a special case. Very few players ever could compete at that age, but don't you think 32 is a bit young even by modern standards? At 35 David Beckham, whose footballing commitments meant the travel requirements to represent England were more complex than domestically based players, said "he had no desire to retire from international football, and would always make himself available for selection for England if fit and if needed," Jermaine Defoe has spent his entire England career mainly as a sub and bit part player yet still remains available for selection at 35.

I just think Vardy retiring because he doesn't play as much as he'd like seems a little petulant. Still, he won't be missed.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

42 is a special case. Very few players ever could compete at that age, but don't you think 32 is a bit young even by modern standards? At 35 David Beckham, whose footballing commitments meant the travel requirements to represent England were more complex than domestically based players, said "he had no desire to retire from international football, and would always make himself available for selection for England if fit and if needed," Jermaine Defoe has spent his entire England career mainly as a sub and bit part player yet still remains available for selection at 35.

I just think Vardy retiring because he doesn't play as much as he'd like seems a little petulant. Still, he won't be missed.

BIB: after Harry Kane we have nothing except a non scoring winger and Marcus Rashford so I'm not sure you can say he won't be missed, its not like there is a load of promising strikers coming through

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

BIB: after Harry Kane we have nothing except a non scoring winger and Marcus Rashford so I'm not sure you can say he won't be missed, its not like there is a load of promising strikers coming through

I'm scratching my head for who we would play instead of Kane

14 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I'm scratching my head for who we would play instead of Kane

I hear Blackburn have a fantastic up-and-coming striker who is prolific for the England youth team. They got him for next to nothing. The name escapes me, perhaps you could help? 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I hear Blackburn have a fantastic up-and-coming striker who is prolific for the England youth team. They got him for next to nothing. The name escapes me, perhaps you could help? 

Check the Forest thread for my thoughts on that .. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Sounds like whispers on who will be called up and who won’t have done the rounds, maybe some face saving has occurred here?

Didnt the same happen last year? Why not announce it after the World Cup?

Southgate was asking him to stay on, genuine question who exactly is taking Vardy out of the squad had he not stepped down himself?

Well the strikers who played ahead of him in the WC, also Wellbeck was on the bench wasn’t he too? He’s injury prone, but his record for England is good.

I’m not sure who’s in the U21’s up front, but Southgate would have an eye on that squad as he’s obviously set on youth progression isn’t he?

I find these 'retiring from international football' statements just ridiculous self-centred guff. They stink of 'I dumped you first' and I can't stand all but the most established players doing them because the only point of them is to garner praise from the media and like. For someone like Rooney there is a point but for Jamie Vardy, who has hardly been the lynch pin of all things England for years, there is no benefit at all.

The Cahill one is just ridiculous - I won't be playing any more unless I am asked to. Really? Why not 'I love playing for my country and would be delighted to do whenever asked.' End!

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Well the strikers who played ahead of him in the WC, also Wellbeck was on the bench wasn’t he too? He’s injury prone, but his record for England is good.

I’m not sure who’s in the U21’s up front, but Southgate would have an eye on that squad as he’s obviously set on youth progression isn’t he?

they guy that played ahead of him at the world cup last scored for England in Vardy's debut 3 years ago, Tammy Abraham plays for the U21s but isn't playing prem football neither is Solanke.

There's Callum Wilson but he's been injured almost as much as Sturridge, same with Charlie Austin and Danny Ings

Archived