Will Hughes on Rowett

1961ram

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

But that always has been and, I guess, always will be his style. 

Surely that is the sort of thing that should have been addressed prior to his appointment?

It's like Man Utd being surprised that Mourinho doesn't have them playing champagne football.

Agreed. In any case I'm happy Will's progressed in the Prem, knew he would, and I don't give a crap about the money. But just seeing Will actually say that Rowett pushed him out... It doesn't sit well with me at all.

I don't like Gary Rowett.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Agreed. In any case I'm happy Will's progressed in the Prem, knew he would, and I don't give a crap about the money. But just seeing Will actually say that Rowett pushed him out... It doesn't sit well with me at all.

I don't like Gary Rowett.

I don't think many Derby fans do right now!

But although I disagree with his thought process I think I can kind of understand it.

Without knowing the financial reasons behind the deal, I fail to understand how anyone can hold that against him, especially when I imagine he had little input into the matter. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without knowing the financial reasons behind the deal, I fail to understand how anyone can hold that against him, especially when I imagine he had little input into the matter. 

Bullpoo! Mel has always backed his managers financially. This is ignoring Rowett telling Hughes he wasn;'t his type of player and wasn't going to play as much as he'd like. (as evidenced by the end of Rowetts first season)

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bullpoo! Mel has always backed his managers financially. This is ignoring Rowett telling Hughes he wasn;'t his type of player and wasn't going to play as much as he'd like. (as evidenced by the end of Rowetts first season)

It's not ignoring anything, I've already stated my thoughts on Rowett selling Hughes.

MM has always financially backed his managers, correct, however, in each of the last 3 seasons we have made a big money sale...coincidence? 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think many Derby fans do right now!

But although I disagree with his thought process I think I can kind of understand it.

Forget how much the deal was worth. Forget the f ax CT he wanted to find new signings and just concentrate on the fact he told Will he wouldn't play as often as he liked cos he didn't fit

Sorry but when you've got a WillHughes (especially at championship level) you make him fit.

He's a better player than Lawrence, how much did Gary pay for him?

He's a better player than the two lads you've got centrally now. 

I wouldn't say the fee was the issue per se, I would say it was Gary's inability to recognise what he had in young Will that is unforgivable.

6 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I said on here at the time that Rowett was forcing Will out and i got shot down by people on Rowetts side, what have they got to say now ? Hughsey was the best DCFC player in a generation and the Snake drove him away! Could i hate GR anymore ????!!!!

Me too. It was obvious from the way Gary talked that he didn't want him here. I was not sure why. After a year of watching Rowett football i realised why. 

But to be fair i agree with the last few posts. We are all in agreement that we sold him at much less than his worth and that Rowett is a terrible manager. Wish Will the best

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Sorry but when you've got a WillHughes (especially at championship level) you make him fit.

He fit anyway. There were 5 positions in GR's 4-2-3-1 that Will could've played. Preferably Will could've taken any of the 3 attacking midfield roles behind the striker.

But Gary didn't want a player like Will there, too likely to try some forward thinking football, too likely to do something entertaining and mess up his beloved defensive shape.

7 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Forget how much the deal was worth. Forget the f ax CT he wanted to find new signings and just concentrate on the fact he told Will he wouldn't play as often as he liked cos he didn't fit

He's a better player than Lawrence, how much did Gary pay for him?

He's a better player than the two lads you've got centrally now. 

I wouldn't say the fee was the issue per se, I would say it was Gary's inability to recognise what he had in young Will that is unforgivable.

Not knowing that Will is a fantastic player and him not suiting a system are 2 completely different things.

You seem to be suggesting that either GR changed his system to accommodate a player or shoe horned a player into the team. If there is one thing as Derby fans we should have learned over the last few seasons it's playing good players in a role that doesn't suit them is a bad idea.

I'm certainly not disputing whether Hughes is a good player or not, he's without a doubt one of, if not the, best player we've has in the last 10 to 15 years.

I will once again ask, why has Lampard getting rid of the divisions top scorer, due to him not fitting our system, not drawn the same reaction? Surely if you have the divisions top scorer who has just scored 20+ goals but he doesn't fit your system, then surely you make him fit? 

7 hours ago, SilentRam said:

Me too. It was obvious from the way Gary talked that he didn't want him here. I was not sure why. After a year of watching Rowett football i realised why. 

But to be fair i agree with the last few posts. We are all in agreement that we sold him at much less than his worth and that Rowett is a terrible manager. Wish Will the best

If i had a spare day or two i would  love to go back and get some of the posts up for a laugh. I was getting told things like .... Look he wants to leave so get shot at whatever price, ........I kept saying he had only just signed a new deal but it was all its not GRs fault that he has had his head turned and wants a move etc etc so get over it  . Does the ? still live in Derby ? 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So do you think selling him before the end of June was just a coincidence?

If I remember correctly, Ince was sold after the end of June but happy to be corrected.

Swiss Ramble reviewed the accounts on his Twitter timeline recently and showed that despite Ince sale being announced in July, the sale was actually completed and booked into the accounts 3 days earlier in June!

43 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Swiss Ramble reviewed the accounts on his Twitter timeline recently and showed that despite Ince sale being announced in July, the sale was actually completed and booked into the accounts 3 days earlier in June!

Yes you are correct, just revisited the accounts and can see that Hendrick, Grant, Hughes and Ince were sold for a collective figure of circa  £22m ?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not knowing that Will is a fantastic player and him not suiting a system are 2 completely different things.

You seem to be suggesting that either GR changed his system to accommodate a player or shoe horned a player into the team. If there is one thing as Derby fans we should have learned over the last few seasons it's playing good players in a role that doesn't suit them is a bad idea.

I'm certainly not disputing whether Hughes is a good player or not, he's without a doubt one of, if not the, best player we've has in the last 10 to 15 years.

I will once again ask, why has Lampard getting rid of the divisions top scorer, due to him not fitting our system, not drawn the same reaction? Surely if you have the divisions top scorer who has just scored 20+ goals but he doesn't fit your system, then surely you make him fit? 

I'm not commenting on Frank I'm commenting on Gary.

I'm not asking him to shoe horn a player into a system I'm asking him to pick the club's best midfielder.

Was Gary's system so bad it meant he didn't play a midfield?

I ask that genuinely as I didn't watch many of your games with him in charge 

What kind of system does Will not fit into?

34 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'm not asking him to shoe horn a player into a system I'm asking him to pick the club's best midfielder.

Yes. Thats exactly what happened. We ended up with two holding players camped on the edge of our box, and three strikers in attacking midfield ready to chase huddlestone missiles. We had no orthodox midfielders at all.

for the last games, even that was too attacking for growett, so he dropped the leading goal scorer - one of the three attacking players - and played an extra central defender ?

38 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Yes to be honest the midfield was pretty redundant, we relied heavily on long balls over the top from a deep lying Huddlestone for the wingers to run on to or Vydra to pick up the scraps from. 

Hughes likes to get on the ball and knit things together, that was not how we played, there was very little link between defence and attack.

As another poster said, he could probably have played as an attacking midfielder.

Good player hughes and a very poor fee received in our eyes but it’s interesting that Rowett sold Ince as well and I sensed he didn’t want him either but a year later he re signs him at snake city - maybe he rates him now or it was a desperation signing because he couldn’t get anyone else 

Archived