Will Hughes on Rowett

1961ram

I was willing to give Rowett the benefit of the doubt - maybe that Hughes wanted Prem football and we needed the funds to bring in some new players. 

When we got pittance for Hughes, I figured that was just a bit of bad luck and Rowett was expecting a bidding war, but ho hum, at least our Will gets his deserved shot at the big time. After reading that, it’s blantently obvious Rowett just hasn’t got a ducking clue. Appalling.

Glad we’re done with him. Hope he ducks his career up at Stoke. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I remember being asked about will hughes once and saying....

he's got no pace, he can't head it, and he doesn't score many goals..........but he's the best player on the pitch by a fkn mile.

Growett absolutely decimated our midfield. 

I had similar conversations with Newcastle fans a couple of years when it was being suggested that he was as on their radar up here. A few of them didn't really know anything about him. I told them to watch him if he ever played against them and then they would probably see for themselves.

As it happened, he played for Watford at St James last season and many of them were "kind" enough to tell me how impressive he was - he scored the first goal too just to rub it in. Of course, the main question was why did we let him go and for so little?

I couldn't answer then and I can't answer now. Reading this article just makes it worse for me. "Not his type of player"..........

Not my kind of manager but all the damage has been done. Unforgivable in my view. A team should have been built around him.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Knew something was up the moment Hughes was sold... that was an absolutely unforgivable deal. Hughes was irreplaceable at this level and only an idiot couldn’t see what he offered the team, he shouldn’t have been sold unless he was banging the doors down to leave.

Why did Mel not say, "no way Jose" or "you are sacked, Gary". 

Where there's a will there's a way out. Good luck to Will... What a player. 

45 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Why did Mel not say, "no way Jose" or "you are sacked, Gary". 

Where there's a will there's a way out. Good luck to Will... What a player. 

He doesn't interfere with his managers decisions. By God I wish he had.

5 hours ago, Anon said:

These would all be solid arguments if he'd been sold in August. He was sold in June with the transfer window barely even open. Who is to say what interest there might have been if we'd waited even a few weeks to properly gauge it? After being sold he put in a man of the match performance in the European U21 semi final victory over Germany that would've raised his profile and value. There is absolutely no reason to sell someone that early in the window especially whilst they're still competing in an international tournament.

I have no evidence to back up my theory but selling him before the end of June may have been something to do with FFP. 

It was clear from about March (I think) that Hughes was not part of GRs plans so plenty of time to gauge potential interest.

I can imagine the reaction of fans if we had sold him just before transfer deadline and not been able to bring in replacements.

And let's be honest here, we replaced Hughes with Huddlestone and made money on the deal. I know who I think was better suited to a Rowett team.

I was as gutted as anyone else when we sold Hughes but for the direction we wanted to go in, and if we needed the funds to soldier Huddlestone and Davies then the deal is not as bad as some make out.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was as gutted as anyone else when we sold Hughes but for the direction we wanted to go in, and if we needed the funds to soldier Huddlestone and Davies then the deal is not as bad as some make out.

? 

There aren't enough laughing emojis for your post.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

More than happy to have my post disected, feel free to tell me what you disagree with.

Did we need the funds to buy Hudds & Davies, we sold Ince too? But that still wouldn't be an acceptable reason for Rowett to say he didn't see Hughes playing much for him.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Did we need the funds to buy Hudds & Davies, we sold Ince too? But that still wouldn't be an acceptable reason for Rowett to say he didn't see Hughes playing much for him.

So do you think selling him before the end of June was just a coincidence?

If I remember correctly, Ince was sold after the end of June but happy to be corrected.

Different managers have different styles and certain players don't fit. If I could be bothered, I could find players much better than Hughes who have been sold by managers for that very reason.

Regardless of what I think of Rowett's style of play, I can see why he thought Hughes would not suit his system.

Let's not forget that just a few week's back we sold the divisions top scorer, supposedly based on the fact that he would not suit our new system and the large majority seemed to find that acceptable...what is the difference? 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

More than happy to have my post disected, feel free to tell me what you disagree with.

'Dissected' spelled incorrectly.

So you've never known a manager to sell a player that doesn't fit into their system and to fund new signings? 

Yeah sure. I remember when Gary Rowett sold Tom Ince for £10m to fund new signings. And I remember when Frank Lampard sold Vydra for £10m to fund new signings. 

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Yeah sure. I remember when Gary Rowett sold Tom Ince for £10m to fund new signings. And I remember when Frank Lampard sold Vydra for £10m to fund new signings. 

How much did we get for Hughes and how are you privvy to the amounts just out of interest?

How much did we get for Hughes and how are you privvy to the amounts just out of interest?

HITC... heard of it?

Will was sold for £6m rising to £8m when he captains England to the Euros. 

It's what the sale represented though G! He literally discarded our crown jewels so he could turn us in to hoofers. Very few professional managers would've looked at Hughes and not got excited about building a team around him? Surely? 

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

HITC... heard of it?

Will was sold for £6m rising to £8m when he captains England to the Euros. 

It's what the sale represented though G! He literally discarded our crown jewels so he could turn us in to hoofers. Very few professional managers would've looked at Hughes and not got excited about building a team around him? Surely? 

But that always has been and, I guess, always will be his style. 

Surely that is the sort of thing that should have been addressed prior to his appointment?

It's like Man Utd being surprised that Mourinho doesn't have them playing champagne football.

Archived