Will Hughes on Rowett

1961ram

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowett's approach was perfectly logical - according the the gospel according to Rowett.

What is the point of having a cultured midfield player when the ball is 50 feet above his head as it crosses the half way line?

Hughes had made up his mind by the time he reported for England Under-21 duty that summer and spent most of the time in Poland bending the ear of Nathaniel Chalobah.

“I'd read he had been linked so I was trying to get to come, too,” he said.

So we'd 'sold' him before he even turned up for the U21 tournament. I hate Rowett.

Maybe the owner was given a load of codswallop at the interview, let’s be honest, Rowett had a track record of saying one thing and doing another during his tenure.

He must have thought he’d won the lottery when the club contacted him/his agent regarding our vacancy, Mel would have explained his requirements and Rowett (or any prospective candidate that wanted the job for that matter) would have sat there nodding in agreement so, no, I don’t think Mel is as culpable as you would have us believe.

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Maybe the owner was given a load of codswallop at the interview, let’s be honest, Rowett had a track record of saying one thing and doing another during his tenure.

He must have thought he’d won the lottery when the club contacted him/his agent regarding our vacancy, Mel would have explained his requirements and Rowett (or any prospective candidate that wanted the job for that matter) would have sat there nodding in agreement so, no, I don’t think Mel is as culpable as you would have us believe.

Well then he’s a sucker for believing a manager in an interview over their track record for a second time then… 

On 11/09/2018 at 13:30, Millenniumram said:

Deemed “surplus to requirements”. Don’t think it hits hard quite how much of a clueless moron Rowett is until you read that. Only an absolute dinosaur wouldn’t have will Hughes in their plans.

The even stupider thing from Rowett is that Will is also a good tackling and hard working midfielder, as well as been brilliant on the ball. Rowett could have played him as a destroyer and he would have done well still.

50 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Frank is the first manager chosen solely by Mel tbf. Sam Rush was advising/choosing the others.

I'm not sure about that. I think mel chose rowett too.

5 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

It's nice and reassuring to give Mel the benefit of the doubt, but he should have known really.  It was clear from his time at Birmingham that Rowett only knew one way to play football.  They simply couldn't bear his negative style any longer even though their league position was good. If Mel wanted Derby to play creative football and build the team around our Hughes, our brightest talent, then Rowett was the wrong man to pick.  He really should have known that.

And it wasn't the first time he made that mistake.  There was the Nigel Pearson horror story after all.  The appointments of Pearson and Rowett have surely left us all confused at to what Mel meant when he talked about the 'Derby Way'.  There is no way of knowing really, surely he didn't mean lumping it down the 'channels'.   

Anyway water under the bridge now I suppose. Let's hope he has got it right this time round.  The early signs are promising. 

Archived