SBW

LE_Ram

May have been discussed elsewhere but I think the club has it all wrong r.e. pre-match. We have a club song in SBW and yet it's played 10 minutes before kickoff, while the ground isn't yet full, and then the players walk out to some chart rubbish with which the club has no affiliation.

TLDR - DCFC, please play SBW as the players are walking out, not 10 mins before kickoff.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LE_Ram said:

May have been discussed elsewhere but I think the club has it all wrong r.e. pre-match. We have a club song in SBW and yet it's played 10 minutes before kickoff, while the ground isn't yet full, and then the players walk out to some chart rubbish with which the club has no affiliation.

TLDR - DCFC, please play SBW as the players are walking out, not 10 mins before kickoff.

I agree.

Most clubs die for a club anthem, we have one and have no idea what to do with it????

Seems opinion is divided on this and quite polarised. 

As I have mentioned before, the players chose the music they walk out to - they are young men and it's what inspires them.

I have no idea what it even is but if that's what they want.

I can empathise with @Doodle 's view that we need a modern 'anthem' but are there any? I  honestly don't know.

Most clubs I visit have songs or anthems that I recognise, which means they aren't all that modern.

I doubt we'll ever find anything we all agree on.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Seems opinion is divided on this and quite polarised. 

As I have mentioned before, the players chose the music they walk out to - they are young men and it's what inspires them.

I have no idea what it even is but if that's what they want.

I can empathise with @Doodle 's view that we need a modern 'anthem' but are there any? I  honestly don't know.

Most clubs I visit have songs or anthems that I recognise, which means they aren't all that modern.

I doubt we'll ever find anything we all agree on.

I’m over 50 so too have no idea what the young uns like. But surely we need something the players and vocal fans relate to. Steve Bloomer isn’t that 

I think the problem with SBW is that it's an awful song.

Anthems work as great warm up and atmosphere builder by getting the crowd all singing together. It doesn't much matter what the words are or if there's an actual connection to the club. What counts is that nearly every supporter joins in. That's why most club anthems begin life as top pop songs and then get adopted by the club, with maybe a few changed words. 

If we're ever going to have our own 'blowing bubbles', 'fog rolling' or 'ferry across the mersey', it has to be well known, catchy and rousing. It doesn't have to be about the club or the city.

20 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’d rather that fantastic poem instead of SBW..... the fans know the words to the song..... hopefully that can be organic

Hrmm - that 'poem' has made me appreciate SBW (and I can't stand that....) - I'm Derby born & bred (with Derbyshire roots going back as far as I can trace them to at least to the 1700s) - and I already detest the poem after hearing it twice.....

7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Hrmm - that 'poem' has made me appreciate SBW (and I can't stand that....) - I'm Derby born & bred (with Derbyshire roots going back as far as I can trace them to at least to the 1700s) - and I already detest the poem after hearing it twice.....

Think it’s fantastic, original and beautifully done by a chap who loves Derby, a fantastic piece of writing..... and what does having Derbyshire roots back to 1700s means to try and prove your point? I’d say that’s akin to someone saying they are a superior supporter to another. That’s how it’s come across..... apologies if I’m a tad off tangent

26 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think it’s fantastic, original and beautifully done by a chap who loves Derby, a fantastic piece of writing..... and what does having Derbyshire roots back to 1700s means to try and prove your point? I’d say that’s akin to someone saying they are a superior supporter to another. That’s how it’s come across..... apologies if I’m a tad off tangent

No - the point about being well and truly from Derbyshire means that I should be proud of the poem - but it just doesn't work for me at all - sorry, (and it may just be me) but I stand there feeling slightly embarrassed when its played....

I can’t stand the poem and try to ignore it. However, the bits of content that I have heard are Derby related and relevant. It’s the delivery that does my head in. The bloke sounds like a rapper ( I can’t stand rap) - if he tried to deliver it in the traditional poem style, and by taking a breath once in a while, it could actually be quite inspirational

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I think the problem with SBW is that it's an awful song.

Anthems work as great warm up and atmosphere builder by getting the crowd all singing together. It doesn't much matter what the words are or if there's an actual connection to the club. What counts is that nearly every supporter joins in. That's why most club anthems begin life as top pop songs and then get adopted by the club, with maybe a few changed words. 

If we're ever going to have our own 'blowing bubbles', 'fog rolling' or 'ferry across the mersey', it has to be well known, catchy and rousing. It doesn't have to be about the club or the city.

Sailing by Rod Stewart?

I love the new poem. I’m Derby born and bred and proud to be so. Embrace it and enjoy it. SBW is our song created by Derbyshire people to celebrate our greatest goal scorer. Who cares if we clap out of time or it’s sometimes speeded up. It’s our song. 

Derby County was created as an offshoot of the county cricket club so we represent the whole of this beautiful county not just the City. 

Worst thing about SBW is the tune’s nicked from some Aussie rules show.

Any loyalties I had to it being “our song” disappeared when I found out about that. Thinking it was original helped gloss over the cheese and it became a bit of fun. The fact we stole it from something else is kinda sad.

Archived