Andreas Weimann

swanker

There we’re certain times I thought he should have been given a go centrally. Trouble was in a 433, he isn’t really a striker to lead the line and Martin, Jerome and Nugent...maybe even Bent were more suited.

then on the 4231, he wasn’t really good enough on the ball or creatively, and Vydra, Lawrence, Ince were better options.

its good for him he’s found a place he can play centrally and I wish him well, always gave his all. But there’s no doubt it was right for us to sell.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

ANOTHER Bristol City fan here, excuse the comments from the OP, we all have fans like that..

Only joined to 'apologise' for the other fan but after reading the thread I'm surprised at the view on his lack of movement/work rate centrally. It's only one goal and I'm sure he won't keep up his ratio so far but what most City fans have fell in love with so far is his great movement and 'strikers instincts'. I'm unsure how he was for you but in the video attached this is what he's shown so far for us, he starts and finishes the move. I know he was played out wide for you but did he not show this for you? Seems like this fresh change is exactly what was needed.

He was great at finding space, particularly under Rowett when we played on the counter. He'd quite often find himself through on goal because he'd lost his marker and someone else had played him in, but the frustrating part was that he'd usually muck up the finishing. His end product was always the problem with us, whether that be him having to finish or play the final ball to a team mate through on goal, but it looks like he's not having that problem with you so far

I'm glad for him but he also has a tendency to start well, either on permanents, loan spells or recalls. He flew out of the gates when at Wolves - including the winner against Liverpool in the Cup. So I won't be putting any money on him to pick up a Golden Boot.

It would be nothing short of churlish to wish him anything but a good future, he came to us with good wishes from Villa fans, didn't always have the run he might have wanted when here but leaves with a well earned reputation as a well regarded professional.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm glad for him but he also has a tendency to start well, either on permanents, loan spells or recalls. He flew out of the gates when at Wolves - including the winner against Liverpool in the Cup. So I won't be putting any money on him to pick up a Golden Boot.

It would be nothing short of churlish to wish him anything but a good future, he came to us with good wishes from Villa fans, didn't always have the run he might have wanted when here but leaves with a well earned reputation as a well regarded professional.

The same Villa fans, well the ones I know, that said he preferred to play down the middle but was never given enough chances in the Prem.

No surprise he should do better in his preferred position. For us I think he accepted playing out wide at times because it was simply the only way he would start, any footballer that wanted to play, would always take what’s offered; just never suited his game in terms of getting the best out of him for me.

Fair play to Johnson, be interesting whether he sticks with him down the middle when he has other options. Either way, another to wish Andi well because he’s a trier.

3 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

He was great at finding space, particularly under Rowett when we played on the counter. He'd quite often find himself through on goal because he'd lost his marker and someone else had played him in, but the frustrating part was that he'd usually muck up the finishing. His end product was always the problem with us, whether that be him having to finish or play the final ball to a team mate through on goal, but it looks like he's not having that problem with you so far

This is spot on.

Works hard...will show for the ball...play in any position ...all to his credit.

What was weird was his football brain could be great and he seemed to find space in dangerous places and have good movement when needed.

But then he would just have an overload and his final touch pass/shot would be blocked/underhit/wasteful. I would be staggered if he got more than 10-15 goals, he just hasn't got that calmness when needed. Good luck to him though.

Every winger "prefers to play down the middle"

Ince, Lawrence, Weimann, Russell and even Nathan bloody Tyson. 

They get put on the wing for a reason. 

There's no actual reason to believe any of them are better down the middle in congested areas, in more physical battles, with less chance to turn and tighter touches required and less chance to run at anyone. Sure, they are more effective from the middle if they have time to turn, square up defenders and start motoring. How often does that happen?

20 minutes ago, swanker said:

He’s only gone and scored again, I think you lot missed a trick there. 

Not really. You play 4-4-2 right? We've not played with 2 up front in 5 or 6 years and I really don't think Andi would have done well in our system as a lone striker. He might have done reasonable up front last season with Vydra in behind him, but Rowett sold half our wingers and never properly replaced them so unfortunately he had to be used out on the right as there wasn't anyone else

On 23/08/2018 at 09:22, Bristol City said:

ANOTHER Bristol City fan here, excuse the comments from the OP, we all have fans like that..

Only joined to 'apologise' for the other fan but after reading the thread I'm surprised at the view on his lack of movement/work rate centrally. It's only one goal and I'm sure he won't keep up his ratio so far but what most City fans have fell in love with so far is his great movement and 'strikers instincts'. I'm unsure how he was for you but in the video attached this is what he's shown so far for us, he starts and finishes the move. I know he was played out wide for you but did he not show this for you? Seems like this fresh change is exactly what was needed.

So you’re apologising for me? You’ve made yourself sound like a right sanctimonious know it all. 

What city fans have actually fallen in love with is his goals. Another one today. Leagues top scorer is he?

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

His goal yesterday was him taking a bad touch then spinning around looking for the ball and accidentally backheeling it in ?

His first goal of the season was him heading an effort onto the crossbar, which then bounced back onto the keeper and went in and he has somehow been credited with the goal. Nice to see him getting a bit of luck that he didn't seem to get here though

Just now, StringerBell said:

You've erased Nigel Pearsons time here from your mind too?

I certainly have ?

When I was typing that out I honestly couldn't remember what formation Pearson went with in the short time he was here, just that whatever formation it was, was all types of wrong 

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I certainly have ?

When I was typing that out I honestly couldn't remember what formation Pearson went with in the short time he was here, just that whatever formation it was, was all types of wrong 

I think it was 4-4-2 with 2 strikers who could run fast and a pair of central midfielders who couldn't venture past the halfway line, even though they weren't defensive midfielders.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

I think it was 4-4-2 with 2 strikers who could run fast and a pair of central midfielders who couldn't venture past the halfway line, even though they weren't defensive midfielders.

But even then, Andi was played on the wing by the tactical and motivational genius behind leicester not be relegated when it did look like they might. 

Archived