Got a question for John Percy?

Hi everyone

We're (hopefully) getting the Telegraph's John Percy on SBW for our next episode, where'll he'll fill us in on covering Derby, transfers, being ITK etc.

I wanted to throw this one out to you guys - does anyone have any burning questions they've wanted to ask the man most connected to Derby's transfer activity (Alan Nixon aside)?

We'll put the best ones to him on the phone tonight.

FYI, 'Who are we signing next?' doesn't count.

Cheers!
Chris

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you get him to shed some light on where "reported fees" come from for undisclosed deals?

It's always quite revealing how the selling clubs local journos report it has higher than the buying clubs local journos, but it would be nice to have some general sense of the accuracy.

It would be interesting to know if, as a journalist, there's an element of not wanting to put information on Twitter, or whether it's more important to be "first" to report, as opposed to putting the information in the Telegraph and selling the paper? Or maybe his tweeting helps to sell the paper?

I'd be interested to know just what lengths journalists go to to get their information. Do they have a spreadsheet with their number plates on and have spotters? Do they hide under their beds? Do they take a complimentary commemorative gold (plated) Diana coin to their mother's house and grill them for information after softening them up? Or do they simply just ring the player's agent and said agent is more than happy to give them the info and spark a bidding war?

When there is talk about a player being unsettled...possibly going  ..having talks (eg Vydra). 

Where does the information he gets come from? Is it direct? Official? Ie the club..the player, his agent. Or is strong rumours eg other agents, other team's chairmen  .. office staff .. player's teammate's???.... or is it all just word of mouth ten times removed?

I'd be interested to know what his thoughts are on the current FFP system and whether he thinks it works/doesn't work. He'll have seen the transfer market and the way teams operate change dramatically over the last few years, so it would be interesting to know what his thoughts are on that.

Also, isn't he a Forest fan? ?

50 minutes ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

We're recording this evening and it'll be released late tonight, depending on how long the edit takes.

Keep an eye on the forum, as I always post when it's up. Cheers!

How come you can drink a drink but not eat an eat?

Archived