Backseat Manager: 352

Waffle

Hello. 

I’m not trying to discredit what we’re working towards after 3 games and I’m fully prepared to get comments such as go back to my video games etc. 

But

On the way home from Millwall last night, I thought would we best utilise our squad with 3 at the back (even without Davies) with two holding midfielders, attacking wingbacks and two up front...

GK: Carson

RCB: Wisdom

CB: Tomori 

LCB: Keogh 

RWB: Bogle

CDM: Evans

CDM: Hudz/Brad/Thorne 

CAM: Mount

LWB: Malone/Forsyth 

ST: Waghorn

ST: Marriot/Nugent

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, richinspain said:

No Lawrence, Wilson or Jozefzoon!?

343 bench one cdm and one striker and change the shape? It’s a similar system implemented with Man City today (yes we’re not Man City) but 3 at the back facilities passing out from the back and defensive cover more than 2 at the back (in my opinion) 

19 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Play out from the back, but mix it up more.

We're not playing it fast enough.

And no Davies!!! Just Waffle.....

Nooo, Davies is my first choice at centre back. But whilst he’s injured I think we could make up for his absence with a 3.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

I have no answers that I am confident about that could get the Rams to win the next two matches. I hope that Frank has such ideas. 

Update - Stop playing out from the back because we have been sussed big time. 

Playing out from the back is fine. Playing out from the back when the opposition has the high press is stupid. Do it whenever possible but not for the sake of it

6 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Playing out from the back is fine. Playing out from the back when the opposition has the high press is stupid. Do it whenever possible but not for the sake of it

A team that has sussed us in short anyone who watched a the replays will press high against us surely. 

While I think such a system is possible with our personnel, I don’t think it’s the time to be making such a radical formation change. We decided on 433 at the start of the season and recruited toward such a system, quite rightly Imo, and we need to stick by it. A more minor switch to a 4231 could be trialled at times if we want more defensive protection, but the issues lie In how our team is set up rather than the formation imo, different instructions are needed and we need to be more rigid in our shape off the ball.

Personally I don't see how the return of Curtis Davies is going to help a team that likes to play out from the back, he's an old fashioned centre back and is not too comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The only thing I think is that it adds a bit more protection in the centre of our back line.

Also I'm completely unsold on Tomori as a centre back. Although he looks decent on the ball at times I think his defensive frailties have been very evident in the last 2 league games.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Yes and it's not that difficult for average teams to counter our style ....Millwall are nothing special. Thinking also about Reading last season, Jaap Stam persisted with it and look where that got him. 

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

I have no answers that I am confident about that could get the Rams to win the next two matches. I hope that Frank has such ideas. 

Think it’s a bit early to be writing that off?! 3 games in fella. It’s just about knowing when to play and when to go long mixing it up. 

Looking at City (again I know we aren’t Man City but it’s a model to draw examples from). 

Thier first goal came from Ederson going route one, because city for the first 25 mins only played it short it drew all the opposition in to press and it opens up space behind. 

We can’t stop playing from the back just because it hasn’t worked in the first few games, however we certainly need to move it a lot quicker. As we have shown we can do in spells.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Personally I don't see how the return of Curtis Davies is going to help a team that likes to play out from the back, he's an old fashioned centre back and is not too comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The only thing I think is that it adds a bit more protection in the centre of our back line.

Also I'm completely unsold on Tomori as a centre back. Although he looks decent on the ball at times I think his defensive frailties have been very evident in the last 2 league games.

He’s by no means bad on the ball, but he lifts the team when we are under pressure and his leadership can win us games something we are desperately missing rn. However any side in this league would miss him, one of, if not the best in the division at CB 

Yes we lost 2-1 yesterday but another 10 minutes on the clock we would of drew that game I believe. Yes we conceded two goals which in all fairness were spawny goals, Tomori’s could of easily flown over the bar, out of play wherever these mistakes happen. We’ve identified the problem being playing out from the back to slow and getting caught in possession, but who knows maybe Frank will go for hoof a ball Tuesday night and we might go on to win 4-0. Keep the faith boys we will come good (I hope). 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good points. Quite a lot for FL to sort out defensively. 

45 minutes ago, europia said:

Good points. Quite a lot for FL to sort out defensively. 

Hmmm Curtis played vs reading and even though we luckily won vs a very poor relegation looking side, that first half chuckle brothers performance between him and Keogh was unreal. No midfield protection will leave our defence exposed whoever the CBs are. I hope Evans can be the Eustace to this team. 

Archived