Seasonal Affective Disorder

Alph

Anyone have to put up with this poo? I've been bad tempered for weeks, getting thoughts and feelings that I recognise as depression I think

And the confidence... my god the confidence just drops. It's ducking balls is what it is. 32 years old and it reduces you to a complete cry baby. Tonight I think was when I finally accepted this poo again like every other year. 

How do you build confidence when the world won't stop kicking you? How do you make big changes to your life without hurting people 

I'm fed up of faking confidence.

Anyone else on their arse?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Anyone have to put up with this poo? I've been bad tempered for weeks, getting thoughts and feelings that I recognise as depression I think

And the confidence... my god the confidence just drops. It's ducking balls is what it is. 32 years old and it reduces you to a complete cry baby. Tonight I think was when I finally accepted this poo again like every other year. 

How do you build confidence when the world won't stop kicking you? How do you make big changes to your life without hurting people 

I usually feel like this around this time of year. Its called 'the start to derby county's season'.

Seriously though I dont know, its clearly a big issue and not helped with its acronym as those that it doesnt affect find it easy to label you because of it.

You read taking Vit D supplements or getting those sun lamp things for night time can help.

I just know from what i went through in the past 12 months that talking helps, the biggest weight off my shoulders was my GP telling me I had an issue and me knowing it wasnt something i just 'needed to pull myself together' over.

Go and talk to your GP.

The bit in bold.....those you care about and who care about you will be more hurt by you trying to hide something than being open. I know its not as easy as that but its true.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I am sure the change of season is a factor but more than likely there is an underlying cause.

If you can afford private counselling I would certainly suggest you give it a try. You may identify the reasons which take you to this dark place.

If confidence is a factor, set yourself an achievable goal- run a mile,  walk three miles, whatever your fitness allows.

You will have the added advantage of feeling better physically. Read up on the importance of endorphins.

I wish you all the best.

1 hour ago, David said:

Always, unless I’m horizontal.

Are you working nights and sleeping through the days?

No, the worst thing related to daylight is just I get up at 5am and it's darker in the mornings now. Also noticed the nights drawing in. Only gradual but I think it's more a feel of what's coming. Usually as Boycie said it's later in the year when the dark nights truly set in. That's why I made the thread because I was curious how SAD works for people. Xmas is the hardest time of year for my missus to put up with me. 

52 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I seem to get this later on in the year, but I don’t think it’s happened this early?

Yeah it's supposed to come as the winter nights set in I think. With having a few emotional Christmas' I like to think I recognise it and deal with it using experience. 

Maybe it isn't SAD and it's just sad. 

There's that fine line isn't there. Where you say "I'm a bit down but I'll get over it" and "I'm on my arse and struggling" 

Nobody feels great all the time. Reading the Social Anxiety and depression thread there's so many different pockets to plonk a miserable person in. It would be nice if it was like a stomach bug or a head ache where you know the rules a bit clearer. 

The forum is both good and bad for people struggling because at least the anonymity frees you to talk. But at the same time it's no good putting it all on here instead of the real world.

I’ve not been feeling on top form to be honest, but I’m putting it down to the pressure at work at the moment, deadlines to be met and cash flow etc.

The results with Derby don’t help tbh. 

It’s true that a loss effects the workforce on a Monday.

59 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I am sure the change of season is a factor but more than likely there is an underlying cause.

If you can afford private counselling I would certainly suggest you give it a try. You may identify the reasons which take you to this dark place.

If confidence is a factor, set yourself an achievable goal- run a mile,  walk three miles, whatever your fitness allows.

You will have the added advantage of feeling better physically. Read up on the importance of endorphins.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers Anag Ram.

I actually went to the doctors twice last year. Well, the car park and then bottled it. It doesn't seem to make sense spilling all out to someone who is charging you money to listen. Well it does, until you are about to do it and then you think they don't know anything about you or your life, your confidence, your motivation and you're asking them to fix a problem that I bet is never exactly the same for 2 people. 

I've got a physical job. I work 7 days p/w. Out meeting new people all the time. Everything that should, on paper, lift the mood. Can't put my finger on what's not right. I've got a few ideas but you ever second guess whether you know what's got you down?

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’ve not been feeling on top form to be honest, but I’m putting it down to the pressure at work at the moment, deadlines to be met and cash flow etc.

The results with Derby don’t help tbh. 

It’s true that a loss effects the workforce on a Monday.

That's the slippery slope though isn't it? Found that in the last couple of years.

Starts off small irritating pressures of life. You give yourself a team talk to solve it. Then you realise you didn't solve it, it's too late, and now you are in a dark place. Literally dark by the time winter comes. Reflective of your mood. 

Thanks for the reply. 

One thing to understand about counselling is that the counsellor isn't there to fix you, only to react to you and give you the space to understand your emotions. 

Only you can know you. And only you can fix you. You just don't know how yet.

Counselling can be the 'Magic eye' experience that gives a new perspective but only if/when you are prepared to be honest.

I will experience SAD again later this year. Suffered with it for many a year, probably even before there was such a thing.  What makes it worse or better is how l am coping with work, relationships, resting, etc.  @Alphal would really recommend counselling. Not to discuss SAD.  To talk to someone anonymously about the underlying issues affecting your mental wellbeing.  It can be very cathartic just to unburden yourself of issues that you don’t feel you can share with family or friends. 

Hi mate - sorry to hear you're down. The good news is that there's some relatively simple fixes. They may not completely mitigate the issues but they do help. I used to suffer with SAD terribly and I'm cynical by nature so I was quite surprised at how quickly it was treatable with some fairly obvious remedies. First and foremost, vitamins and supplements - vitamin D especially, are hugely helpful but make sure you're taking supplements for all of the required vitamins. Don't skip days as the effects are cumulative. Equally, accept that it may be a few weeks before you really start to feel the benefits. Also helpful is ensuring that in the autumn and winter months, you get as much exposure to natural light as is possible. If you're working indoors for instance, spend your lunch hour taking a power stroll! There are multiple benefits to this course of action as I'm sure you'll be aware. Other forms of exercise can also help outside of work hours as they can help you regulate sleep. SAD white lights are also used by some though I'm not entirely convinced that they make much difference though they might work better for you than they did for me. A big thing for me was the actual process of taking the fight to the illness, because that's what it is and there's nothing to be ashamed of in admitting and accepting as much. Once I started to push back, my headset improved almost overnight, probably because I felt I was re-taking control or trying to, rather than letting SAD take over me. By all means talk to your GP too - for me any form of antidepressants would always be a last resort but if your symptoms are really bad then they might make sense as a short term fix as might some form of CBT but I'd recommend trying the aforementioned steps before these last two options. I don't struggle anywhere near as much as I used to to so be aware that this can be fixed and that you will feel better relatively swiftly. Sorry for the long post, there's just quite a lot to pass on. If you have any questions about any of this post feel free to quote or PM me. Good luck mate 

Good advice @86 points. I would also add that a daylight lamp that simulates dawn when waking up might be very helpful for you @Alphaas you state that the mornings getting darker seems to trigger your feelings. 

I think the other thing is to just give yourself a break, don't be hard on yourself or expect to be as productive over the winter as in the summer. If you look at nature's cycle, everything hunkers in for winter, rests and gets ready to go again. What do we humans do? Charge around as usual and then get even more manic in the run up to Christmas. We really don't help ourselves! 

Sorry to hear this Alpha, you’re a good guy. I’ve felt similar over the last month or so but not to the extent you do. 

You said that you work 7 days a week, what do you like to do in your spare time? I know you have a missus and children so the work/social life can be difficult.

Are you involved in physical exercise? Don’t underestimate the effect that physical exercise can do and how it can raise your mood. I know you like boxing which could be a sort of starting point, which I undertake on occasions and gave me a focus to do something I enjoy. Have any friends who enjoys boxing too? Buy yourself some boxing gloves and pads and get involved with some sparring with some friends, it’s easier with two of you, if you’re on your own motivation can be difficult.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

One thing to understand about counselling is that the counsellor isn't there to fix you, only to react to you and give you the space to understand your emotions. 

Only you can know you. And only you can fix you. You just don't know how yet.

Counselling can be the 'Magic eye' experience that gives a new perspective but only if/when you are prepared to be honest.

This is what you pay for @Alpha - I guess if you don't want to pay then try via your GP. If its seriously affecting you rather than just being 'a bit blue' it's best to get professional help.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Every summer. It doesn't help that it's our busiest time at work. Also, we have our family holiday at half term at the end of May and throughout that time, thinking about summer affects my mood even then. I end up ruining the holiday for everyone. This year, I ended up leaving the holiday early just to give my wife and kids some actual happy time on what is supposed to be our big holiday together.

Alright mate,

My Dad used to and my brother suffers badly with the Winter blues.

Gets them down with the lack of sunlight I believe.

I’m afraid my advice is probably no good,it’s just what I do when things get rough.

Try and eat healthyish take a multi vitamin,try and excerscise.

Mentally,try and do everything to the best of your ability.

If you feel like crap tell someone,it’s worth going to the doctors and doing a blood test.

Sorry it’s not groundbreaking advice but just doing the basics well when you’re feeling low is the starting point.

Cheers?

Archived