Moving to Derby - Advice need please.

ColonelBlimp

Community spirit is rife here in Belper, bi annual food festivals, art festivals both attended by thousands, especially the food festival.

Its own beer festival.

Belper goes green festival.

Belper games weekend.

monthly farmers markets

if you don’t like festivals mind I recon it would be a living hell.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you looked on Rightmove to get an idea of where you might be able to afford? Or give you an idea of whether you'd have to compromise on area or property. If you want out of town then ex-council houses are often value for money in village locations.

I've spent weeks looking on Rightmove thanks!

Going round in circles, bit confusing if you don't know the area hence this thread ?

Oh, @Lambchop, come down here and live on the coast. Watch your neighbours feeding the gulls and nesting by your bedroom window waking you up at 4 in the morning squawking then dive bombing you and pooping all over your car and ripping open rubbish bags.

You're not even allowed to remove their nests anymore.

Protected species my arse.

No offence ?

10 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I've spent weeks looking on Rightmove thanks!

Going round in circles, bit confusing if you don't know the area hence this thread ?

Well fine, but if you want to live in a nice country village in a Georgian rectory then you'll have to pay out more than £180k.

I meant it's okay asking for info over areas but if you can't afford them it's pointless. What are your property priorities or will you live in a park home if the area is right.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well fine, but if you want to live in a nice country village in a Georgian rectory then you'll have to pay out more than £180k.

I meant it's okay asking for info over areas but if you can't afford them it's pointless. What are your property priorities or will you live in a park home if the area is right.

You have read the thread and seen the odd Rightmove link haven't you?

I thought it was reasonably clear.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/48186634?search_identifier=f38029355fe16d0e2b87f5cdfd9f34d0

There you go, the seperate garage you wanted and £35,000 change.

I've seen all the garbage written about Mackworth over the years, yes just like anywhere else (including Littleover and Mickleover) you have a few knobs on the estate. But it's no worse than anywhere else. I've lived in Allenton, Normanton, Shelton Lock, Alvaston and Chellaston, but for the last 26 years I've been in Mackworth and had my car broken into once about 20 years ago and have had no other problems since. 

I think you're going to have to prioritise a bit more than 2/3 bed house/bungalow with or without garage.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65143252.html

This? I don't know the area but I'd guess a council estate, but...

So, do you have priorities? I'd not live in a town again (used to live in the town centre near Abbey Street), but we prefer quiet and so live in a small hamlet. I'd prefer detached but can't afford it where we live, so it's a semi. But it has a garage and off-road parking, although we're in a tiny cul-de-sac. 

Our priorities were as rural as possible, but not isolated, a small budget for dahn south and a desire to not have attached neighbours, oh and 3 bedrooms. We eventually found an ex-council place that needed some work, but was liveable in an A.O.N.B. but on a bus route (although we both drive).

If you really have no firm preferences then the best thing to do is as reveldevil suggested rent somewhere short-term and drive around. Good luck.

21 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

No no, all good. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Thanks for the info.

So, Spondon is pretty ok then. Are there specific parts to avoid?

Someone mentioned the area in Chad between Nottingham Rd and the A52? If that includes Albert Rd then no thanks, park my car down there on matchdays and it looks very grim to me!

Avoid bottom end, below the A52 - if you look on a map and use it as a line.

It looks grim on match days as the volume of people, outside of that its pretty quite.  Another area of chad is Cherry Tree Hill.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/66832522

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/73946006

These are both within your price range and in nice enough areas. 

If I was you @ColonelBlimp, I'd rent short term in the area, just to give you a better feel for the type of area you're after, will also make it easier when viewing properties.

The renting idea we have considered and may well do that, easier for lots of things as you say. It's a great suggestion.

Ideally, something like the earlier link (Windsor Drive-Spondon) would be the style we'd prefer https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73712870.html

Would rather have a smaller garden though, can't be doing gardening!

@Roymac 

16 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

The renting idea we have considered and may well do that, easier for lots of things as you say. It's a great suggestion.

Ideally, something like the earlier link (Windsor Drive-Spondon) would be the style we'd prefer https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73712870.html

@RoyMac5 Don't necessarily have a problem with ex council but i would like something that looks nice in a nice quiet aera and you don't see many around. Does that make me a snob?

I wouldn't like to live in a town centre either. In an ideal world the local town/village centre would be like Rustington in West Sussex but the house would be a 1930's style bay fronted semi/detached but hey, would need a lottery win for that!

Like I say, waiting for death money to come through and February redundancy so plenty will come on an off the market between now and then.

On Rightmove, i usually select an upper limit of 190k and 3 bed and search.

Interesting to see what comes up when you change the location. Sod all in my area (Goring by Sea) and very little in Market Harborough where we originally planned on going.

55 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

@RoyMac5 Don't necessarily have a problem with ex council but i would like something that looks nice in a nice quiet aera and you don't see many around. Does that make me a snob?

I wouldn't like to live in a town centre either. In an ideal world the local town/village centre would be like Rustington in West Sussex but the house would be a 1930's style bay fronted semi/detached but hey, would need a lottery win for that!

No, (I mean yes) but I'm a snob too. We've lived in two ex-council properties. They tend to be a decent size for your money and cheaper than alternatives in a similar area.

The first one was in Wessington. We nearly didn't go look at it as it had a downstairs bathroom, but it was in a great location and affordable, a no-brainer really. Most of the neighbours were fab, and it was close to major routes without being in a big town/village.

They've put up some new build since we were there:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55153194.html

What you tend to find with villages is that most will have some council houses but normally they'll have been built on the outskirts, plus there's often not many - so not really like the big estates you get in towns.

The second one is the one we're in now - the only place we could afford in a posh part of Wiltshire. Cheaper because we've power lines quite close, it nearly put us off but lots of the neighbours are in their 80s so we figured the radiation can't be that bad! Lol. But again it's a small 'estate' of 20-ish properties on the edge of the village/hamlet.

We prioritised were we wanted to live - rural and three bedrooms was a basic start, there wasn't much choice in our price bracket which made it easier and harder. Took six months of searching until we found this place. 

Anyway maybe you want a village with a pub and/or shop, or the edge of a conurbation, try and get must haves otherwise there'll be too much choice! We now wouldn't want to live anywhere that doesn't either have an open fire or the possibility of putting one in - bit of a pyromaniac! We've only just got fibre broadband to our exchange, that might be a necessity to you. Or you have to cook on gas, we're not on the mains and so it's oil central heating.

Anyway for us it's place/setting that's primary, just couldn't live anywhere built up again through choice, There's lots of village locations outside Derby itself, I'm not as up on areas as I was but I get where you're coming from when you talk about the cold north! Perhaps you should check out southern Derbys? ?

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, (I mean yes) but I'm a snob too. We've lived in two ex-council properties. They tend to be a decent size for your money and cheaper than alternatives in a similar area.

The first one was in Wessington. We nearly didn't go look at it as it had a downstairs bathroom, but it was in a great location and affordable, a no-brainer really. Most of the neighbours were fab, and it was close to major routes without being in a big town/village.

They've put up some new build since we were there:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55153194.html

What you tend to find with villages is that most will have some council houses but normally they'll have been built on the outskirts, plus there's often not many - so not really like the big estates you get in towns.

The second one is the one we're in now - the only place we could afford in a posh part of Wiltshire. Cheaper because we've power lines quite close, it nearly put us off but lots of the neighbours are in their 80s so we figured the radiation can't be that bad! Lol. But again it's a small 'estate' of 20-ish properties on the edge of the village/hamlet.

We prioritised were we wanted to live - rural and three bedrooms was a basic start, there wasn't much choice in our price bracket which made it easier and harder. Took six months of searching until we found this place. 

Anyway maybe you want a village with a pub and/or shop, or the edge of a conurbation, try and get must haves otherwise there'll be too much choice! We now wouldn't want to live anywhere that doesn't either have an open fire or the possibility of putting one in - bit of a pyromaniac! We've only just got fibre broadband to our exchange, that might be a necessity to you. Or you have to cook on gas, we're not on the mains and so it's oil central heating.

Anyway for us it's place/setting that's primary, just couldn't live anywhere built up again through choice, There's lots of village locations outside Derby itself, I'm not as up on areas as I was but I get where you're coming from when you talk about the cold north! Perhaps you should check out southern Derbys? ?

Interesting read and good advice. Thank you!

Fibre is a must for me, I like to race online and sometimes set my own server up when I can be bothered, though it's in storage at the moment.

So, you reckon on making a list of things that you would prefer not to compromise on and another one of things you'd be more flexible and work from that? 

26 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Interesting read and good advice. Thank you!

Fibre is a must for me, I like to race online and sometimes set my own server up when I can be bothered, though it's in storage at the moment.

So, you reckon on making a list of things that you would prefer not to compromise on and another one of things you'd be more flexible and work from that? 

Yeah but how strict, I guess it depends on whether you're thinking you'll move again or is it a last move (that's not meant to sound quite so ominous!)? But some sort of prioritising is a must - a decision will have to be made. ? Some people say things like 'oh I'll know when I see it, or it'll have a feel and I'll know'. I'm much more pragmatic, to a certain extent the house is just a box and can be altered as necessary. Although after having lived in a 70s link-detached (say what!?!) the altering would have been done with brown paper and sticking plaster - they're not always built to the same standards as older property. So I look for location (location, location!) first and foremost. But you might decide you really want a period property and will give a bit on where it is...

When you start looking and if you've found that your must haves have limited you to a small choice try not to rule stuff out without a really good reason, sometimes you'll end up buying something you didn't think you wanted - as I said we didn't want a downstairs bathroom, but the house was worth a bit of compromise.

We wanted certain things but they all revolved around a place as rural as possible and as detached as possible. Then there were 'wishes' which we were more flexible on. It's easier to check broadband speeds nowadays, but when we moved here I checked it 'had' broadband, lol, it was a while ago.

If your rellies are in Market Harborough have you looked at South Derbys? There's some village locations I'm sure, plus there's not as many pits as there used to be!

Edit: if 'in doubt' do go and see the place, lots of places look quite different in reality! I know that sounds obvious but I thought I'd say it just in case. ?

48 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

What's Borrowash like? 

Maybe a question for @Borrowash Ram !

Nice country walks on your doorstep. Good bus links to Derby and Nottingham. Decent amenities in the centre (big Co op / chemist / indian / Chinese / doctors), easy access to A52 and A50, 2 pubs that I can think of. 

Unfortunately I cant vouch for living there but the area that runs by the railway looks nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting @RoyMac5 that you mention South Derbyshire as I never really considered it, bit blindsided by Derby and suburbs.

That's the old mining area which is now part of a new forest, that correct?,

So, Swadlincote, good, bad or meh? 

Seems reasonable enough to me and some affordable property like this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54781815.html

Though I am curious as to why this, 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67277962.html

Is so cheap, is this area prone to flooding does anyone know?

When we come up for the Brentford game we're going to detour off the M1 over Coalville, Ashby way towards Burton, up to Mickleover and round to Spondon to have a nosey.

Archived