Moving to Derby - Advice need please.

ColonelBlimp

Hi Guys, need some advice on the better areas of Derby.

Bit of a backstory first.

I live in Sussex, Worthing, and the company I have worked for for 20 years (It Ops 1st/2ndline role - Warehouse Distribution) are closing our site next February and making us all redundant. We've known about this for a couple of years.

Since we were told, my mother has died and her 2nd husband has also died and I am one of the beneficieries, which I wasn't expecting.

We've rented the same place for 24 years up until last month when our landlords sold their shop and the new guy wanted the flat. Currently we are living with her parents which, at my age (50) is a sad state of affairs!

So, come next February I'll be homeless and jobless ?

The wife has been brought up and lived here all her life, I haven't, and fancies a change.

We were looking at Market Harborough for many reasons, closer to her brother and mine (Bedford/Wellingborough), equidistant from where our 2 boys might end up (Birmingham/London) but that looks like being out of reach financially now.

So, we had another think and Derby is a possibility, for housing costs and jobs. It helps being a fan of course and the wife has recently started enjoying the footie as well.

This is likely to be our only chance to own a house so I don't really want to move again once we're in.

The plan is to take the inheritance + redundancy money and buy somewhere outright then we'd not need high paying jobs as we don't have a lavish lifestyle. Happy to drive vans or whatever ?

What are the good areas? From my googling it seems Mickleover/Allestree are quite nice and to avoid Normanton/Allenton/Chad/Alvaston etc. Is this right?

We'd be cash buyers and I've no idea at the moment what our top budget would be but based on estimates somewhere around 180k ish. Looking for 2/3 bed house/bungalow but I really want a games room so 3 bed or 2 with a powered up garage attached.

Anyway, probably loads of things I've forgotten so please ask anything. All advice gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allestree is nice but is quite expensive, there are some affordable houses in Mickleover and parts of Littleover. Oakwood is a huge estate but well set out and you get a lot of house for your money compared to Allestree.

The areas you said to avoid are right in my view but the older parts of Chaddesden have some good houses.

Hope this helps

Yeah Littleover,Mickelover,Allestree all nice parts, but more expensive obviously. You might also want check out Spondon and Borrowash which are nice villages close to town and might offer more bang per buck. Oakwood also a possibility if you dont mind living on a huge modern estate. Ockbrook is a very nice village and handily located but a bit more upmarket price wise.

Chadd has some very nice houses if you look around the Reginald Rd south area as has Mackworth if you look around the Woodford rd area or Mayfair. Also try looking around Shelton Lock or Chellaston or the Shardlow rd area of Alvaston, you'll get more house for your money than if you look at Allestree or Mickleover and all are good areas to live.

Sawley near Long Eaton as good rail links to both London [1.5hrs] Birmingham [50 mins] and Derby [10[mins] . Some of the towns and villages between Derby and Nottingham are good Sandiacre etc  some of the Nottingham suburbs Chilwell /Toton are easier to get to Derby than Nottingham so worth a consideration.

Anywhere between Derby and Nottingham has great motorway links also which is handy. Good luck.

If you want something better then the Derby suburbs then check out Belper.

Seems everyone else has,?

World heritage site, high st of the year winner, and great real ale pubs and restaurants too.

Train station, and buses to Derby and Manchester regular.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If you want something better then the Derby suburbs then check out Belper.

Seems everyone else has,?

World heritage site, high st of the year winner, and great real ale pubs and restaurants too.

Train station, and buses to Derby and Manchester regular.

Not to mention the Nags Head and Market Place being featured on "Brassed Off", and it's the real home of Thornton's chocolates.

And is Colledges furniture shop still going on Chesterfield Road?

Belper has it all...........?

3 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Hi Guys, need some advice on the better areas of Derby.

What are the good areas? From my googling it seems Mickleover/Allestree are quite nice and to avoid Normanton/Allenton/Chad/Alvaston etc. Is this right.

All advice gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My advice, for what worth, is when seeking information from your target audience you don’t potentially offend 50% of them at the outset ?

Essentially your distinction between nice/not so nice is spot on. You don't mention schools but catchment areas make big differences in some of those nice places such as Littleover and Allestre and that's from one street to the next.

If you want to carry on with your line of work south Derbyshire/Staffordshire border towards Burton has got lots of very large warehouses so Burton may be an option to add to your list. 

I

Thanks all so far.

Don't need schools as kids are grown up and won't live with us long term.

I don't really have a line of work as such. Just spent 20 years in IT but was also a milkman for 5 years and customer services jobs as well as delivering takeways on the side.

So, flexible then ?

We do like to ride our bikes together though, hybrids, casual stuff, no lycra.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Colledges is yes.

Didnt know about the brassed off bit?

Thorntons factory is being converted into housing and a care home I think?

Used to go drinking in Belper with young Colledge. He's probably now older Colledge and has inherited the business.

Ah memories............

Which reminds me.....mine is faulty. The Nags Head/Market Place featured in an episode Sounding Brass......a much smaller scale TV series in the early 80's starring the bloke wot played Ernie Bishop.

The old Thornton's gone...........tragedy. All of us who grew up in Belper in the 70s and 80s and the same objective of trying to pull a lass for the Christmas parties who weighed less than 20 stone 'cos they HADN'T been working at Thornton's over the summer holidays ??

12 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Thanks all so far.

I don't really have a line of work as such. Just spent 20 years in IT but was also a milkman for 5 years and customer services jobs as well as delivering takeways on the side.

So, flexible then ?

Then the area's I mentioned have lots of cycle tracks by the waterways ,the river Trent ,canals and the nature reserve at Attenborough .The cycle track down by the Trent puts the M1 to shame .

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Thanks all so far.

So, flexible then ?

Shardlow Rd end of Alvaston, Shelton Lock and Chello are all good for bike riding into areas like Aston on Trent, Western on Trent, Shardlow, Elvaston Castle etc.

Mackworth, Mickleover are both handy for the cycle track through Derby and places like Markeaton and Quarndon.

Stenson Fields on the south side of Derby as good affordable housing. Easy access to the A38 and A50.

The area is nice and flat, making for easy cycling to places like Willington, Repton, Melbourne and even Burton if you want to go a bit further.

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Stenson Fields on the south side of Derby as good affordable housing. Easy access to the A38 and A50.

The area is nice and flat, making for easy cycling to places like Willington, Repton, Melbourne and even Burton if you want to go a bit further.

Handy for the carvery at the Cherry Tree as well.

Archived