La Liga to stage a match in USA

therealhantsram

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Striking the right balance is key.

The best way to drive up global interest in the league is to flood the league with international players, but Spanish clubs won’t do that. 70% of La Liga is made up of Spanish players. That’s really impressive.

The PL on the other hand is made up of 30% English players, 70% foreign.

Spain could have a massive Latin American following, but aside from Messi, Coutinho and now Vidal, they don’t actually have a host of names from each nation and thus loads of followers.

If La Liga really want to reach out and challenge the PL for global popularity, they’re going to have to bring in an influx of foreign players, which will be detrimental to the national team.

Nobody watches the PL for the English players. In the past decade, only two have won a CL, one being a left-back where his influence on games is minimal and the other being Lampard, arguably the best English player of his generation.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Striking the right balance is key.

The best way to drive up global interest in the league is to flood the league with international players, but Spanish clubs won’t do that. 70% of La Liga is made up of Spanish players. That’s really impressive.

The PL on the other hand is made up of 30% English players, 70% foreign.

Spain could have a massive Latin American following, but aside from Messi, Coutinho and now Vidal, they don’t actually have a host of names from each nation and thus loads of followers.

If La Liga really want to reach out and challenge the PL for global popularity, they’re going to have to bring in an influx of foreign players, which will be detrimental to the national team.

Nobody watches the PL for the English players. In the past decade, only two have won a CL, one being a left-back where his influence on games is minimal and the other being Lampard, arguably the best English player of his generation.

Guessing you purposefully missed out Man Utd's win 10 years ago where English players made up over half their starting line up, including Rooney (our all time top scorer), Ferdinand who was arguably one of the best centre back at the time, and Scholes. 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Guessing you purposefully missed out Man Utd's win 10 years ago where English players made up over half their starting line up, including Rooney (our all time top scorer), Ferdinand who was arguably one of the best centre back at the time, and Scholes. 

I didn't miss them out. In the past 10 seasons, only one English cub have won the CL and one which was largely dominated by foreign players.

I'm well aware United won it in 2008. 

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018... One team. 

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I didn't miss them out. In the past 10 seasons, only one English cub have won the CL and one which was largely dominated by foreign players.

If you look at the previous 10 years (1999-2009) we had 3 winners, 1 all English final and for 5 years straight (2005-2009) we had at least 1 English team in final.

in those years you mention we still had 3 teams in the final.

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Is that the same Ferdinand who missed the occasional drug test?

I think the fact that only 30% of the PL’s players are English is telling. The Premier League is a marketing machine. Everyone wants to watch it. Everyone wants to play in it too, quite clearly.

I think in terms of quality of play, Spanish football is equal and often times superior to English football.

But the way it is marketed, you’d never know it.

But again, you are not going to open people’s eyes to its quality if it’s an afterthought on some largely inaccessible subscription based channel and being left to rot, or propping up a seemingly obscure channel in an already saturated market.

Forget the gimmicks like this stateside game. People are not going to suddenly become invested after watching one game of Messi running rings around Girona in a completely sterile and inauthentic environment.

You have to make people feel something. You have to make people care. They need the sights, the sounds, the stories, the characters, the emotions.

Without that, realistically most people will only care about their national game unless the quality is poor and they are forced to look elsewhere. 

In Italy, everything stops for calcio. As a general rule - if it’s not Italian, it doesn’t matter. But in fairness the more knowledgeable Italian fans will discuss the CL and the PL too. But in Russia where the standard is poorer, people are more interested in watching Mourinho, Pogba and United than Zenit and Spartak.

This is what the Premier League and the associated media do so well here and abroad. The storytelling - you want to watch, you want to listen. The opinions - they start a conversation and you want to join it. The importance - they brand it like it’s the biggest game you’ll ever see.

The Premier League will be a topic for discussion in pubs in Norwich, Naples, and Nizhny Novgorod. 

You can’t say the same for La Liga.

La Liga could and should be the best league in the world but they are not marketing it in that way.

For me, if you have a Rolex in the box, package it like one.

And if you want to sell that Rolex, put it in the shop window so people can see it.

Putting Spanish football front and centre on terrestrial television here and elsewhere would be a great shot in the arm for its popularity.

Everyone remembers how the Football Italia show captured everyone’s interest back in the 90s. Something similar would do wonders for Spanish football, to educate the average football fan who thinks all there is to Spain is Barcelona, Madrid and Ibiza.

If you want the likes of Saul Niguez or Dani Parejo to be stars, let them shine...

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

tenor.gif

9 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Is that the same Ferdinand who missed the occasional drug test?

Yes, the same Ferdinand that missed 1 drug test and got banned for 8 months. Just to point out how harsh that was, Adrian Mutu got 7 months for testing positive for cocaine.

First they came for the Suppercoppa Italia, and I did not speak out - because I was not from Turin, or Milan or Rome.

Then they came for Girona v Barcelona, and I did not speak out - because I was not Catalan.

Then they came for the Charity Shield and I did not speak out - because I was not from London or Manchester.

Then they came for Derby - and there was no one left to speak out for Derby.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Andicis said:

Fair play to him for taking a stand, it's awful for the fans, and isn't that the most important thing here? Barcelona should take a stand against it too.

"Earlier this month, Barcelona and Girona - along with La Liga - asked the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) for permission to move a match between the two Catalan clubs to Miami."

Just now, David said:

"Earlier this month, Barcelona and Girona - along with La Liga - asked the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) for permission to move a match between the two Catalan clubs to Miami."

Then I've lost a bit of respect for Barcelona. Sounds like they don't care about their Catalan fans at all.

• 2 months later...

Archived