Interview with Mel Morris

SaffyRam

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s been a while since Mel has given RD an interview isn’t it?  Nice to hear, the in house stuff is good but it’s good to hear an impartial interviewer asking the questions.

Reminds me of Gibbo always asking about if there’s any news on transfers after every game, (pre transfer window times.)

Have the Derby Telegraph literally just copied BBC Radio Derby's interview into their series of articles word for word?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mel-morris-interview-derby-county-1896541

I read the articles last night and then listened to the interview with Mel this morning, and it sounds like the exact same interview. ?

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

Have the Derby Telegraph literally just copied BBC Radio Derby's interview into their series of articles word for word?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mel-morris-interview-derby-county-1896541

I read the articles last night and then listened to the interview with Mel this morning, and it sounds like the exact same interview. ?

You don’t expect the DET to source their own material do you? I swear half their information comes off here. 

Interesting interview and I don't doubt the guy's commitment for one second. However his response to the FFP question was reasonable and ridiculous at the same time. It sounded reasonable enough. "Lots can happen,we just don't know the future"  to paraphrase him. But for a business man of his acumen it is also ridiculous. He will have done a full analysis of what might happen and done a thorough financial risk assessment. I would also guess that contingency plans are in place for a whole range of circumstances. The fact he didn't come out and say FFP is not a problem spoke volumes to me.

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

It may have been a radio derby interview with Mr Nickleson there also. Quite common.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Interesting interview and I don't doubt the guy's commitment for one second. However his response to the FFP question was reasonable and ridiculous at the same time. It sounded reasonable enough. "Lots can happen,we just don't know the future"  to paraphrase him. But for a business man of his acumen it is also ridiculous. He will have done a full analysis of what might happen and done a thorough financial risk assessment. I would also guess that contingency plans are in place for a whole range of circumstances. The fact he didn't come out and say FFP is not a problem spoke volumes to me.

Not sure if you watched the fans forum the other night, but FFP was covered more in depth on why it's difficult to predict what will happen in the next year.

One example being, we sign a player for £10m, get's injured half way into his contract, not career ending, but can't compete at the same level as was when we signed him, his value drops to £1m, that's a £9m loss on FFP.

What offers will come in over the next month and even January, how do you predict that?

We have Thomas, Bogle and Bird breaking through into the first team, say they impress over the next few months and in January Premier League clubs come in with £5,8,10m offers?

Guess it's easier for clubs such as Ipswich that sell a Waghorn, sign a couple on the cheap from Shrewsbury and settle for surviving another season in the Championship, FFP's all great boys and girls. We're a club that invests and has a number of assets on the books which puts us right up against that line, living life on the edge, which to go up is pretty much what history has shown is needed.

The squad is large, we do need to move players on, that's no secret, given the reaction to some fans writing us off and saying bugger all is happening back in June/July, had we waited for departures before bringing players in what would the mood have been today?

FFP starts from 56 minutes onwards if you're interested: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/08/re-watch-our-latest-fans-forum-in-full

5 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Very unlikely that there would have been separate interviews for the BBC and the DET. Pretty sure it's always been the case that they all do the interview at the same time and decide between themselves as to what questions get asked. @OwenB87 might be able to shine a light on this. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Very unlikely that there would have been separate interviews for the BBC and the DET. Pretty sure it's always been the case that they all do the interview at the same time and decide between themselves as to what questions get asked. @OwenB87 might be able to shine a light on this. 

Happy to.

I wasn't at this particular briefing, but based on my experience it'll have gone something like this.

RD & the DET will get an invite after one or both of them have asked for an interview - I know Steve Nic had asked on this occasion, not sure about RD.

There's generally a bit of an off-the-record conversation before the actual interview gets underway. It's not like post-match where the manager will walk up and the conversation starts immediately.

As there's no point asking the same/very similar questions twice, radio will kick-off and the paper are welcome to use that too. This is standard for interviews/press conferences, and that's why the DET transcript is the same as the RD interview.

After the radio has finished, the DET will generally follow up with any extra questions, or to clarify any bits that need it.

Then everyone will agree when they're going to run the stuff.

And that's how the sausage gets made ?

23 hours ago, Yani P said:

Frank will be here for a long time - why wouldnt he when we will be in the Premier League?

If FL could conjure up such a miracle, the chances are it wouldn't be long before Chelsea came calling. Frank has already stated that is his goal, to manage the Stamford Bridge club, and they do tend to have a high turnover of managers. So that vacancy will come up on a fairly regular basis. Anyhow, for the time being he as at Derby and will probably be here for a couple of seasons, building a team for the future. 

Archived