We’re gonna win the league! Actually no changed my mind. Frank’s gone by September.

Duracell

The above thread describes the thought process of many Derby fans. This journey has taken a month. 

Wins in meaningless friendlies against Notts Couty and a couple of good performances against disinterested lower premier league sides and we were going to win the league. People laying down bets. Saw someone say “I can’t see us finishing any lower than 4th.” After two home friendlies!! We’re going to be great??

Fast forward many hours later, and we are in to the deep dark waters of the second game of the season. Oh no! Rookie manager makes rookie mistakes against one of the most respected coaches in the game managing what looks to be the early pace set setters and we’re hammered 4-1. This is bad ??

Am I the only one fed up with these teenage mood swings? Beat Southampton 3-0 in a friendly and Frank has deffo solved everything, lose 4-1 to Leeds and Frank is deffo in trouble. Wtf. Saw someone say they were giving him until September, as if they deserve a pat on the back for being patient!

Everything has to be instant. Good managers are instantly brilliant and poor managers are instantly terrible after their first defeat with little chance of recovery.

Can we rationally discuss a poor result and debate what could be done without the hyperbole? I wouldn’t mind if it’s harmelss opinions, but it’s not harmless. This wild messiah one week, everyone is rubbish next week is volatile and it heaps unnecessary pressure on the players and manager who are having to learn something new. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, as one of the Sky pundits said, Leeds had 10 players who started yesterday were there last year. They know how  to play together and the movement and runs that team mates will make. We are on a learning curve as a team and it will take time. Last season people were moaning that we had too many older players, now we’ve bitten the bullet and introduced younger legs we want instant success.

It’s  a journey

Keep the faith

Hallelujah!  

I must admit I've not read the matchday thread because of what I might expect to find there (the title of some other threads confirm my fears).  Obviously yesterday was a stinker of a performance.  Leeds were good.  We were poor.  Clearly nothing wrong in stating this... but what I don't understand is the all of nothing approach of modern football fandom.  We now need more new players because he can't do this and he can't do that (forgetting that 'he' might have only been at the club a week).  It is as if context doesn't matter one bit.  Some are even harking back to Rowett and gloating about how we should have valued him more, as he was a managerial god who would never have set us up to be so open and poor... he who oversaw a 4-1 defeat at home to the bottom of the league last season (and we still got to the play-offs).  One game does not a season make.

This is not to say that Frank might not turn out to be a disaster. Of course he might.  I think most right-minded people are expecting a bit of a bumpy ride at first.  But what is absolutely certain, is that yesterday should not be seen as an indicator that he definitely will be rubbish or can't sort out the frailties.  Or, of course, Leeds might just have been ****-hot.  As much as it pains me, sometimes teams are just better than us.

17 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The above thread describes the thought process of many Derby fans. This journey has taken a month. 

Wins in meaningless friendlies against Notts Couty and a couple of good performances against disinterested lower premier league sides and we were going to win the league. People laying down bets. Saw someone say “I can’t see us finishing any lower than 4th.” After two home friendlies!! We’re going to be great??

Fast forward many hours later, and we are in to the deep dark waters of the second game of the season. Oh no! Rookie manager makes rookie mistakes against one of the most respected coaches in the game managing what looks to be the early pace set setters and we’re hammered 4-1. This is bad ??

Am I the only one fed up with these teenage mood swings? Beat Southampton 3-0 in a friendly and Frank has deffo solved everything, lose 4-1 to Leeds and Frank is deffo in trouble. Wtf. Saw someone say they were giving him until September, as if they deserve a pat on the back for being patient!

Everything has to be instant. Good managers are instantly brilliant and poor managers are instantly terrible after their first defeat with little chance of recovery.

Can we rationally discuss a poor result and debate what could be done without the hyperbole? I wouldn’t mind if it’s harmelss opinions, but it’s not harmless. This wild messiah one week, everyone is rubbish next week is volatile and it heaps unnecessary pressure on the players and manager who are having to learn something new. 

Sure you're on the right forum?

17 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Am I the only one fed up with these teenage mood swings?

Why start a thread about it then ffs

Just now, Shipley Ram said:

You missed out the we're crap blip after the Mansfield game

I'm also fed up with the clamor to play the kids then writing them off after two games. Lowe was poor but give him a chance to learn and improve before dismissing him as useless.

You’re right, I did.

Frank, in fairness, would be used to this sort of thing. He played in an era when as a nation, we built up all our youth players to be the next x, building them up to shoot them down whenever they struggled. 

The process used to take months or even years. Some Derby fans are able to do it in weeks. We’re not unique in that though, see any other moderately sized club that demands success and calls the top flight “the promised land” (?).

Too many underestimate the challenge Frank has. The transition from Rowettball to how he wants to play is massive and will take time. Leeds however have built on what their last gaffer put in place. 

Fine margins - Mount and Bryson both had decent chances (I think to make it 2-2). Looked like a debatable handball in the build up to the 3rd. Tomori also got caught under the ball for the 2nd and 4th (wouldn’t have happened with Davies in the team). Can’t fault the quality of their 4 goals though. 

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

To talk with like-minded fans or debate with others.

Same motivation for starting any thread?

The eight existing threads that have sprung up, weren't enough then....

Just now, RamNut said:

The eight existing threads that have sprung up, weren't enough then....

Wanted to discuss the attitude of the club from July through to now, thought that was worthy of a thread, yeah.

Sorry if that’s wound you up. Not what I was going for. If it’s a poo thread no one will reply and it will sink out of sight and won’t bother anybody anymore.

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

To talk with like-minded fans or debate with others.

Same motivation for starting any thread?

I'm pleased you've started the thread because you have described exactly how I feel sometimes when I come on here. 

There are two alternatives, walk away from it (and miss out on some good informed debate with fellow fans) or try and tackle it and end up going back and forth in pointless arguments with posters you've no time for. 

It's a lose-lose really. A bit like trying to please some of Derby's fans! 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm pleased you've started the thread because you have described exactly how I feel sometimes when I come on here. 

There are two alternatives, walk away from it (and miss out on some good informed debate with fellow fans) or try and tackle it and end up going back and forth in pointless arguments with posters you've no time for. 

It's a lose-lose really. A bit like trying to please some of Derby's fans! 

Me too. I’ve stopped reading much because the extremes of emotion and opinion are making it hard going.  Like the guy ringing the radio saying it’s the worst performance in 50 years. What?? He’s not watched many games then has he? Or they start abusing individuals. 

Another thread suggested Frank was fuming. 

No idea what he might have been fuming about exactly but I guess he wasn't on the end of many 4-1s in his Chelsea career so fair to say he wasn't going to be happy - being a winner and everything. 

Some other posters have alluded to a rookie manager making rookie mistakes - again without being specific. 

If we as supporters and fans are truly bought in to the project then we have to accept that not everything will go our way or the way we hope. 

We wanted better football first and foremost. Are we seeing that yet?

This is no surprise. Every clubs the same, no matter how things are going, some people will find fault. Of course it's easier when you've just got battered, but it would happen regardless. Win 4-1 and some would whinge that we didn't win 5-1. 

Youll always have that vocal minority. No need to worry unless it spreads to the masses.

The OP is bang on and I agree with many of the comments. I've got carried away with some of the transfer business to think we have a shot at promotion. I think we still have, but if it's going to happen then it will be a strong run late in the season. I think we'll be  mid-table/bottom half at Christmas. We have too much quality to be sucked into the dog fight. This is a massive transition. New squad young squad completely different way of playing. Leeds have played that football for 2 seasons and have had the same team for 12 months. Bielsa just needed to sort Leeds out without the ball. At Derby this is the major overhaul we've been crying out for, it might not happen for us this season but we'll be strong contenders next season if we don't do it this. 

Need to back the manager and the players (the fans who went to the game were brilliant on the whole) ignore what opposition fans and media are saying many of whom are desperate for Lampard to fail, and try to ignore what Forest are doing as unfortunately this might be their year. 

Mel should've gone down this route 3 years ago, progressive football, young talent building on what McClaren did, but finally he's made the right call, must persevere now and we'll reap the rewards in the coming years. If we don't persevere and we sack Lampard, we'll go nowhere and watch on as Forest establish themselves in the premier league along with Leicester. 

Unfortunately many football fans are very very fickle. We have an excellent squad, bloated yes but so many options. It's now about giving lampard and co chance to find the best 11, drill into the players the style and an understanding. Lampard would have learnt things from the first two games. I think first major thing will be to get Huddlestone in as soon as he is fit in for ledley. I think its been clear that ledley is not a holding midfielder, as a one certainly. He cant find the passes, he cant keep hold of the ball and he doesnt move enough for the cbs. 

As for youngsters, mistakes will happen as they learn but id rather have naive young players making positional mistakes than 32 year old players who put no effort in. 

Leeds look like us when mac took over from nigel. Clearly they have the right balance throughout the team, they just needed the right manager. They are going to take some stopping.... if they can keep it going I think they will finally go up. 

Theres no point keep sacking managers, its got us no where so why dont we try give someone time and see if that pays off. Nigel clough got given so much time cause of his name so let's actually give someone a chance. Its the championship, we will probably go out and win 3 0 next week!!

Im very excited for when he gets the balance right and the team clicks!  ??

Thank you for starting a thread with some sanity in it! I’m avoiding the others because of all the wrist slashers. They are now slagging off Bryson and Lowe, who were the big heroes pre season.

Unfortunately, it’s a sign of the times. Everything these days has to be instant. I’m confident we’ll see a big improvement under Frank, but it’s going to take time.

Archived