Why the 'Undisclosed Fees'?

Bob The Badger

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a Guardian article in 2013 

The term is a perennial transfer window anticlimax: a well-trodden exercise in public relations, serving only to protect the agents, chairmen and directors of football. Put simply, an undisclosed transfer is designed to save face. Whether buying or selling, clubs need to be seen to be getting the best value for money and if there is even the smallest inkling that the sale or purchase price of a player for either of the two clubs might incur the wrath of either set of supporters, an undisclosed fire blanket is thrown over the top of the deal. Only when a club is happy with the fee will an official figure be announced, which amounted to 110, or 4.35%, of the permanent transfers this summer.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/sep/04/undisclosed-fee-transfer-window-deadline

1 minute ago, Black Country Ram said:

Or they don’t want clubs who we are buying off to know how much we have to spend.

This!

Also the reason why the Peterborough owner rubbished the amounts bandied around regarding how much Derby had put down on Marriott.

His next purchase will be effected if the club knew he actually got 5 million. (Factious figure btw)

Just now, Boycie said:

This!

Also the reason why the Peterborough owner rubbished the amounts bandied around regarding how much Derby had put down on Marriott.

His next purchase will be effected if the club knew he actually got 5 million. (Factious figure btw)

Factious as in true?

Or fictitious as in made up?

29 minutes ago, Black Country Ram said:

Or they don’t want clubs who we are buying off to know how much we have to spend.

That makes zero sense.

If Derby got less than people are suggesting, then you announce it so as to stop other teams with players we want inflating their prices.

And Burnley announce it to their fans because they look smart.

And if it's more, then Derby want to tell their fans to soothe any discontent and look shrewd and Burnley couldn't give a flying duck because they're in the Premier and another couple of million spent isn't going to bother anybody.

So what's Plan B?

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

That makes zero sense.

If Derby got less than people are suggesting, then you announce it so as to stop other teams with players we want inflating their prices.

And Burnley announce it to their fans because they look smart.

And if it's more, then Derby want to tell their fans to soothe any discontent and look shrewd and Burnley couldn't give a flying duck because they're in the Premier and another couple of million spent isn't going to bother anybody.

So what's Plan B?

It makes perfect sense.

Why would we do that when we were clearly in the market for replacements? I hear what you're saying regarding soothing discontent but I think they'd rather keep their cards close to their chest to limit inflation of the price of our targets. After all, with the current buzz around the club, I don't think them not disclosing the Vydra fee is going to make fans stay away.

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It *seems* to me that Derby have more transfers going out that are not disclosed than most other clubs.

Really?

Which transfers have been fully disclosed in the Championship this season? I can only think of Tom Ince to Stoke that's it.

Undisclosed has been standard for a number of years now for a large percentage of transfers, this isn't just a Derby thing.

It's no more a "Derby thing" than anywhere else. As quoted on this thread:

"Only when a club is happy with the fee will an official figure be announced, which amounted to 110, or 4.35%, of the permanent transfers this summer."

I disagree with the first part:

"Only when a club is happy will an official figure be announced"

should read...

"Only when BOTH clubs are happy to disclose the fee will an official figure be announced"

Archived