Leeds fan in peace

Cjay

57 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Bet Stoke is his "dream job" to.

He's a very good talker so he'll get fans on side for a while despite the poor football, although with Stoke's expectations of dominating this league he's already got plenty of them doubting his ability after you lot ran rings around them

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Thought Leeds looked excellent at weekend.

Air of positivity around our club for the first time in a while, which is weird as we have consistently been challenging for top 6 every season for a few seasons.

Injection of youth has been great to see, although we obviously have a few fans writing players off after one league appearance.

Just too young for Leeds rivalry, think first time I saw you was when we clinched promotion at the BBG back in 87, more concerned with seeing our neighbours and Stoke faltering for my schadenfreude this season.

Was also once managed by Norman Hunter, top top bloke and got a lot of time for your current bloke.

Quite concerned for Saturday as as previously mentioned you looked rather sharp, but given the past year just giving it a go and watching a decent game of football will be enough for me.

End the season: God knows, could be anywhere between 1st and 16th, just as long as the journey there is fun though.

Lastly, like how you do kits as well plain classic home and more adventurous with the change.

Sorry think i missed you out when going through. 

We did tbf it was a very impressive performance although not perfect, some dodgy defensive moments.

Does seem to be a positive feel which as you say is strange given you havent done to badly recently, try being us?.

Good to see we arent the only fans who have a section who write 19 year old players off after a 15minute cameo from the bench.

Same as you, I'm a bit young to feel a particular rivalry or dislike for Derby, understand why there is one i think but wasnt born so.

Remember you with Malcolm Christie and Ravenelli and Kinkladze etc, good players, that Italian midfielder to.

Earliest memory of Derby for me is beating you 5-0 must be 20 years ago now, Hasselbaink scored at least one i think.

Ah yes Norman, didnt know he managed you, seen all the clips of him as a player and stuff, very popular.

Although we played very very well vs Stoke and should have won by more, there were some hairy defensive moments, the pinball for the pen, we had another moment like that which was saved, a few tackles which were ok but a split second later and could have been sendings off. 

Going to be a tough game if you start like you finished vs Reading.

Thats what its about in the end, we all want to win but as long as the footba was fun and exciting then thats what counts, meant to be enjoyable after all? not something to endure. 

Thanks?i quite like our new kit that they unveiled yesterday, instead of doing something stupid like sign players on deadline day.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Thats good?

Should know Mason Mount then, can only be a good thing.

Him & Lampard is the only reason I can see why they let Mount join us, by all accounts best midfielder in the Eredivisie last season and looks a real talent, hopefully a class above the Championship like Neves was last season for Wolves

Thanks @Cjay I really enjoy the views of other fans who come on here and discuss sensibly. I’m sure all clubs have them ( including us!) but I hate it when opposing fans come on here just to be antagonistic. Hope we’ll hear from you again during the season.

2 minutes ago, archram said:

Thanks @Cjay I really enjoy the views of other fans who come on here and discuss sensibly. I’m sure all clubs have them ( including us!) but I hate it when opposing fans come on here just to be antagonistic. Hope we’ll hear from you again during the season.

19:30 tomorrow would be a good time.

33 minutes ago, sage said:

Who did you play for?

Played up to 17 for Chesterfield (One yoof game for The Rams though!), then Mickleover Sports. Wasn't really very good.

Norman managed an 'England' team that played a German team prior to the Euro 2000 match in Belgium, organised through a newspaper.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Ah i see.

Yes, there was a lot of anger on the Stoke forum,  considering the squad they shouldn't be being outplayed like that.

Some of the tactical decisions that day were frankly bizarre.

Funny, from the outside looking in most people thought of Gary as a "talented young manager" who you were horrified to lose.

Whereas it seems its the total opposite.

We thought the same when he arrived. I was quite excited to get him after he turned an awful Birmingham side into one that sat just outside the play-offs.

A couple warned us that we should expect a few awful results and performances, and he would always have his eye on another job. That’s the reason he was apparently sacked.

It seemed like bitter comments but I can definitely see their points now. He’s a young, talented English manager in the press but Stoke is make or break for him. He’s so far had jobs where he was restricted by poor squads or limited budgets. At Stoke he has arguably the best squad and the biggest cheque book. If he fails through negative football, I doubt his next job will be a step up.

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

He's a very good talker so he'll get fans on side for a while despite the poor football, although with Stoke's expectations of dominating this league he's already got plenty of them doubting his ability after you lot ran rings around them

Stoke fans tbf were very honest and they were not impressed at all.

If thats the style he continues to use then the plenty will become the all.

That Stoke side on paper should be doing the dominating not being the dominated.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Him & Lampard is the only reason I can see why they let Mount join us, by all accounts best midfielder in the Eredivisie last season and looks a real talent, hopefully a class above the Championship like Neves was last season for Wolves

Probably right there.

He certainly looked good, but as a caution we have the last Chelsea midfielder to dominate the Eredivisie, Lewis Baker, he is yet to show that sort of form in the Championship.

Admittedly limited time.

Neves really was a joy at times last season.

2 hours ago, archram said:

Thanks?.

All clubs, probably most have sensible fans who would prefer a discussion over an argument.

In my forum travels I've found most are fair minded folk, the odd bit of banter, cant say ive encountered much worse then banter tbf.

I will pop back, not one to hang about and post after the event unless there is a reason, saw a game of yours and had an opinion etc.?

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But seriously, be good to get your take on it after.

Its amazing how even fans in the more even handed mindset see very different ggames.

It is.

Fans see totally different things, even fans of the same team, its interesting really.

I will do, always post my thoughts after the game, win,lose or draw.

Normally wait till the next day, just in case, if you batter us I'll be to annoyed.

If we batter you last thing anyone wants is an opposition fan telling you how well it all went, comes across as gloating even if it wasnt meant that way.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

We thought the same when he arrived. I was quite excited to get him after he turned an awful Birmingham side into one that sat just outside the play-offs.

A couple warned us that we should expect a few awful results and performances, and he would always have his eye on another job. That’s the reason he was apparently sacked.

It seemed like bitter comments but I can definitely see their points now. He’s a young, talented English manager in the press but Stoke is make or break for him. He’s so far had jobs where he was restricted by poor squads or limited budgets. At Stoke he has arguably the best squad and the biggest cheque book. If he fails through negative football, I doubt his next job will be a step up.

The press though have a weird obsession with labelling almost every English manager under 40 "young and talented".

We had Paul Heckingbottom who was "young and talented".

He may be the most tactically inept, boring, negative coach we have had.

He was dreadful.

Lot of our fans have wanted Rowett at times, was never much of a fan, had an air of arrogance i didnt like. 

Agreed on Stoke.

If he cant get them up this season and probably top 2 because that squad should be top 2 then he will take a hit reputation wise, may even be sacked if no promotion and there wont be an excuse.

Just do my bit on the game pre game, then can see how it differs from post ?

As mentioned i didnt see your 1st half vs Reading, i read reports and here and it seems its fair to say you were a bit lucky, seems had there striker been a bit better 2-0 at half time was entirely possible. Down to your defenders making a mess and not being careful with there passing out from the back.

2nd half i thought you did better without being sparkling, took a bit of luck for you to equalize, Mannone shouldn't have been beaten by that Mount shot (who i thought looked decent). And your right back really struggled with Wheelie Bin (Barrow) and should have been much tighter for his cross. 

That being said you were the better team for most of the 2nd half and as well as the 2 goals you had one other chance i remember which Mannone saved well.

In the end a bit of luck, poor finishing from Reading, and a really good header was the difference. 

From reading here the style Frank is trying to implement is quite different to Rowett, passing out from the back, move through the gears, avoid long balls etc, its going to take time, especially for the players like Keogh who arent really that sort of player imo. 

We on the other hand took to Bielsa's style well, helped i think by the fact its actually similar to what Thomas Christiansen was trying to play early doors last season, so the signings we made last season, like Klich, Saiz, Alioski etc were brought in with the Bielsa style in mind (pre Bielsa) and the other players already had experience of it from TC.

It wasnt a perfect performance, while us winning didnt really look in doubt and had we been more clinical it could have been 4 or 5 there were areas of concern. 

The penalty itself was us not clearing our lines and Ince falling over (not sure it was a pen but anyway) the situation shouldnt have been allowed to happen. There was a similar situation where we didnt clear and Afobe had to be denied by our gk. 

Then there was a few tackles by Phillips and Berardi that when they go well fans love, man and ball, smack, but a tiny bit later and your walking, as both of those have done on quite a few occasions and normally for something similar to those tackles.

And we had a few players cramping up, which shows the tole the style takes on the players, but considering the temperature and it being the 1st game i was very impressed that we made it to the end. 

The game could go either way, if we both repeat our 1st games we could be out of sight by the time the 2nd half comes. 

But being as this is your 1st game of the season at home its unlikely you would hope from your point of view that you will start like Reading. Expect you to come flying out of the traps like us vs Stoke, and may be a bit manic for 10-15mins, 

Worried that you will press better then Stoke and im not sure our cbs will stand up to it so well, but at the same time i dont think yours will either.

Very difficult to predict.

But because of our performance vs Stoke (which was totally unexpected)  and wasnt perfect, but it wasnt far off, and given you are trying to get used to a totally different playing style which is never easy (Pep struggled with changing the playing style at City 1st season) i am going to say . . Leeds win . . . 2-1?

6 minutes ago, Cjay said:

From reading here the style Frank is trying to implement is quite different to Rowett, passing out from the back, move through the gears, avoid long balls etc, its going to take time, especially for the players like Keogh who arent really that sort of player imo. 

Honestly mate, you couldn't be more wrong about Keogh, but most opposition fans say similar. He's fantastic at being a ball playing defender and will often pick up the ball, drive a pass through 4 or 5 players into the striker's feet or go on a fairly long run himself to get us up the pitch before giving it to one of our forwards. Davies is the defender of ours who will have the most difficulty transitioning to this Lampard system, but as long as he keeps it simple and doesn't try to emulate Keogh's methods he'll be fine. The problem Keogh has is when the midfield in front of him aren't making space for him to drive into or finding space to receive a pass from him, so it just ends up being Keogh and Davies passing between each other and he loses concentration and makes a sloppy pass. The mistakes against Reading came in the first half when the midfield was slow and static, but in the 2nd half they improved and so in turn did Keogh who then pulled off a fair few of those driven passes into feet and a couple of long run through the centre.

2 hours ago, Cjay said:

Probably right there.

He certainly looked good, but as a caution we have the last Chelsea midfielder to dominate the Eredivisie, Lewis Baker, he is yet to show that sort of form in the Championship.

Admittedly limited time.

Neves really was a joy at times last season.

Yeah good point. Should be an interesting clash tomorrow for sure, should hopefully see 2 attack-minded teams going at each other. Doubt either of our starting XI's will be fully settled at this point but both have quite a lot of potential goals within them and some quality players. 

No doubt Bamford will probably score, classic ex-player curse ?

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

Honestly mate, you couldn't be more wrong about Keogh, but most opposition fans say similar. He's fantastic at being a ball playing defender and will often pick up the ball, drive a pass through 4 or 5 players into the striker's feet or go on a fairly long run himself to get us up the pitch before giving it to one of our forwards. Davies is the defender of ours who will have the most difficulty transitioning to this Lampard system, but as long as he keeps it simple and doesn't try to emulate Keogh's methods he'll be fine. The problem Keogh has is when the midfield in front of him aren't making space for him to drive into or finding space to receive a pass from him, so it just ends up being Keogh and Davies passing between each other and he loses concentration and makes a sloppy pass. The mistakes against Reading came in the first half when the midfield was slow and static, but in the 2nd half they improved and so in turn did Keogh who then pulled off a fair few of those driven passes into feet and a couple of long run through the centre.

Fair enough mate.

You know him better then me, funnily enough i thought Davies would be the one who would be ok, not the other way around. Whenever ive watched Keogh though he didnt strike me as a ball playing cb, but admittedly thats not very often.

How do you think your defence and your midfield will cope with being pressed?

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yeah good point. Should be an interesting clash tomorrow for sure, should hopefully see 2 attack-minded teams going at each other. Doubt either of our starting XI's will be fully settled at this point but both have quite a lot of potential goals within them and some quality players. 

No doubt Bamford will probably score, classic ex-player curse ?

Agree.

Imagine there are only a few players who are settled, the rest will be jostling for a place. 

Should be exciting.

Alioski, Hernandez and Saiz v Wilson, Lawrence and Mount ?

It may be that whichever side copes with the 3 players from the other side above best wins the game.

Dont think Bamford will start, Bamford to score a 95th minute winner ?

We were linked to Marriott and wanted Jozefzoon, Jozefzoon cross headed in by Marriott. . . .?

Or after all the hype, nothing happens, no shots, 0-0,

Archived