Leeds fan in peace

Cjay

Sith Happens

Wasn't sure where to post, but as this is a 'peace' thread thought would ask if anyone knows if any trouble yesterday?

On our way out of derby after the match three police vans were rushing towards the stadium, two of them riot vans.

My Dad (nearly 80) and me did get a load of verbals off a couple of pissed up leeds fans walking towards the match. Probably heard me commenting on one of them taking his ticket out an envelope and then hurling the envelope on the ground.

Brave lads taking giving abuse to an OAP and someone knocking on 50.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Wasn't sure where to post, but as this is a 'peace' thread thought would ask if anyone knows if any trouble yesterday?

On our way out of derby after the match three police vans were rushing towards the stadium, two of them riot vans.

My Dad (nearly 80) and me did get a load of verbals off a couple of pissed up leeds fans walking towards the match. Probably heard me commenting on one of them taking his ticket out an envelope and then hurling the envelope on the ground.

I'm sorry on behalf of Leeds fans.

99% arent like that.

Unfortunately every club has a tiny few twits, shouldn't happen.

Sith Happens
18 hours ago, Cjay said:

I'm sorry on behalf of Leeds fans.

99% arent like that.

Unfortunately every club has a tiny few twits, shouldn't happen.

Yes they do sadly.

On 12/08/2018 at 17:12, Paul71 said:

Fair play to you Paul re litter. Can’t abide it, sadly walks to PP in the past have not been the most pleasant, damn stuff is quite literally everywhere. Think I’d have the squad out doing a litter pick, I can happily supply the equipment. If they lost tonight need to make it mandatory tomorrow morning 

On 12/08/2018 at 17:12, Paul71 said:

There was one running his mouth off all the way from the ground to the station, when finally someone told him to shut up, he started kicking off, police took him away from the crowd to calm him down and send him back to his cave. 

There were also a few more that were kicking off outside the train station and were arrested. 

A bit of a !Johnny come lately" to this squad, but here goes:

Very disappointed with the result, but it was pretty fair - you played us off the park, especially first half. But it is all down to how we started off, or didn't start off. We sort of slowly dribbled into the match, and then wondered how you had got so far in front of us. I was well impressed with how you played as a team, everyone working for each other, and everyone knowing where his team mates were so that the passes and lay-offs went exactly where they were intended. Late on in the second half we did start to press and get in your faces, and mistakes and opportunities started to appear, but sadly too late. If only we had started like that, instead of giving you the freedom of the park for 60 or 70 minutes, who knows?

You said your keeper shouldn't let let a our free-kick in like he did, but he does seem to be getting a bit of a reputation for being weak at long shots and crosses. However Lawrence did get the ball the ball moving in all sorts of directions, so it was a difficult shot to save for anyone. But knowing of this weakness, and proving it with the free-kick, why was it the only time we actually put your keeper to the test?

However, my biggest bugbear was your physical approach to the game. You have such a vast amount of talent, and probably the best coach around at the moment, so why do you still find the need to "put the boot in"? You are known universally as "the Dirties" due to the dubious talents of Don Revie. No matter what he achieved, he had an even more talented team than your present one, but always chose to kick lumps out of the opposition when you could simply play them off the park, and that aspect has never gone away.

So for the free-kick, it followed two extremely heavy fouls on Tom Lawrence, both bookable offences, but no cards shown. Justice seemed to have been done when we scored, but it wasn't justice at all, because although Lawrence did show a few flashes of what he could do, for most of the match he kept pulling out of challenges and was therefore ineffective. Poor refereeing, which was true throughout the match. Bryson was booked for his first offence, which was identical to one by a Leeds player right under the refs nose only moments before which went unpunished, and somehow we ended up with 5 players on yellow cards and your players with none. All the way through the match when we did actually get a free-kick, you put a man over the ball to prevent a quick free-kick, not just on the occasion, but for every free-kick. It is persistent offending, and therefore a yellow card offence, although you did finally pick up a yellow card for it, but only in the 93rd minute or so. Even that was protested so strongly that you got another card straight afterwards. When you can beat us through your ability, why use the dark arts? Maybe because if the ref lets you, then why not, as it stops the opposition from playing.

It doesn't mean being wimps, and shying away from hard challenges, but surely you don't need to use those tactics. If you can drop them from your game, and rely on your skill and abilities, you will be a credit to the Championship.

And none of this changes the fact that you deserved the win, and the scoreline. 

All the best for the rest of the season.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 17:27, DavesaRam said:

A bit of a !Johnny come lately" to this squad, but here goes:

Very disappointed with the result, but it was pretty fair - you played us off the park, especially first half. But it is all down to how we started off, or didn't start off. We sort of slowly dribbled into the match, and then wondered how you had got so far in front of us. I was well impressed with how you played as a team, everyone working for each other, and everyone knowing where his team mates were so that the passes and lay-offs went exactly where they were intended. Late on in the second half we did start to press and get in your faces, and mistakes and opportunities started to appear, but sadly too late. If only we had started like that, instead of giving you the freedom of the park for 60 or 70 minutes, who knows?

You said your keeper shouldn't let let a our free-kick in like he did, but he does seem to be getting a bit of a reputation for being weak at long shots and crosses. However Lawrence did get the ball the ball moving in all sorts of directions, so it was a difficult shot to save for anyone. But knowing of this weakness, and proving it with the free-kick, why was it the only time we actually put your keeper to the test?

However, my biggest bugbear was your physical approach to the game. You have such a vast amount of talent, and probably the best coach around at the moment, so why do you still find the need to "put the boot in"? You are known universally as "the Dirties" due to the dubious talents of Don Revie. No matter what he achieved, he had an even more talented team than your present one, but always chose to kick lumps out of the opposition when you could simply play them off the park, and that aspect has never gone away.

So for the free-kick, it followed two extremely heavy fouls on Tom Lawrence, both bookable offences, but no cards shown. Justice seemed to have been done when we scored, but it wasn't justice at all, because although Lawrence did show a few flashes of what he could do, for most of the match he kept pulling out of challenges and was therefore ineffective. Poor refereeing, which was true throughout the match. Bryson was booked for his first offence, which was identical to one by a Leeds player right under the refs nose only moments before which went unpunished, and somehow we ended up with 5 players on yellow cards and your players with none. All the way through the match when we did actually get a free-kick, you put a man over the ball to prevent a quick free-kick, not just on the occasion, but for every free-kick. It is persistent offending, and therefore a yellow card offence, although you did finally pick up a yellow card for it, but only in the 93rd minute or so. Even that was protested so strongly that you got another card straight afterwards. When you can beat us through your ability, why use the dark arts? Maybe because if the ref lets you, then why not, as it stops the opposition from playing.

It doesn't mean being wimps, and shying away from hard challenges, but surely you don't need to use those tactics. If you can drop them from your game, and rely on your skill and abilities, you will be a credit to the Championship.

And none of this changes the fact that you deserved the win, and the scoreline. 

All the best for the rest of the season.

Only just seen this sorry.

Thanks for the response.

On the highlighted bit.

Last season i felt we were to passive, to nice.

Other teams kicked us, stopped us taking quick free kicks etc, we did nothing, just let it happen.

This season we are "putting the boot in" more, we are doing the dark arts i suppose. 

Its pleasing imo, it may not be the British way or whatever.

But the best teams do that, Manchester City will stop quick free kicks and such.

We are doing this season what we should have done more last season.

Other teams do it, the Chelsea team Lampard thrived in was very physical, a bit dirty, a bit niggly, and they were all the better for it.

I dont want us to be a dirty side, Cardiff were, Millwall etc.

But i am pleased we are showing a bit more game management i suppose.

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Only just seen this sorry.

Thanks for the response.

On the highlighted bit.

Last season i felt we were to passive, to nice.

Other teams kicked us, stopped us taking quick free kicks etc, we did nothing, just let it happen.

This season we are "putting the boot in" more, we are doing the dark arts i suppose. 

Its pleasing imo, it may not be the British way or whatever.

But the best teams do that, Manchester City will stop quick free kicks and such.

We are doing this season what we should have done more last season.

Other teams do it, the Chelsea team Lampard thrived in was very physical, a bit dirty, a bit niggly, and they were all the better for it.

I dont want us to be a dirty side, Cardiff were, Millwall etc.

But i am pleased we are showing a bit more game management i suppose.

So I’m other words: Dirty Leeds be dirty. 

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Couldn’t find anywhere appropriate other than here to post Bamford out for 4 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45486014

Not knocking Banford or Leeds, just the sort of bad luck with thin squads, that can undermine a promotion push when games come fast in winter months.

Fully agree.

Most Leeds fans would to imo.

Our squad is very thin, we already have lost Hernandez, Cooper, Forshaw for games this season already.

Now Bamford.

But, we have the best under 23 side in our league since January. 

Lets blood the kids.

I grew up during the era of Kewell, Woodgate, Smith, Kelly, Harte, Batty, Robinson all being key players.

So I'm all for using the youth teams.

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So I’m other words: Dirty Leeds be dirty. 

Playoff final, Forest win a free kick after Johnson  cynically trips Grabban in order to stop a quick break and it being 2v1 in Forests favour.

Dirty or game management? 

24 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Playoff final, Forest win a free kick after Johnson  cynically trips Grabban in order to stop a quick break and it being 2v1 in Forests favour.

Dirty or game management? 

Against forest? I’d expect Johnson to have gouged grabbans eyes and bit his leg. 

But there’s a difference between a one off or occasional incident, and creating a legacy, a philosophy, based on ‘game management’ that has permeated the club’s history for decades. Every now and then you might think you play pretty, but just like a wife beater, Leeds will always eventually show their true colours. You say you don’t want to become a dirty club like millwall, well I’m afraid you already are, always have been, always will be. Clubs are synonymous with certain styles, they are like bad smells that will not go away, and Dirty Leeds earnt that nick name for a reason. 

I appreciate you come in peace, but you’re in the wrong place to find supporters against the ‘dirty Leeds be dirty’ argument. 

7 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Against forest? I’d expect Johnson to have gouged grabbans eyes and bit his leg. 

But there’s a difference between a one off or occasional incident, and creating a legacy, a philosophy, based on ‘game management’ that has permeated the club’s history for decades. Every now and then you might think you play pretty, but just like a wife beater, Leeds will always eventually show their true colours. You say you don’t want to become a dirty club like millwall, well I’m afraid you already are, always have been, always will be. Clubs are synonymous with certain styles, they are like bad smells that will not go away, and Dirty Leeds earnt that nick name for a reason. 

I appreciate you come in peace, but you’re in the wrong place to find supporters against the ‘dirty Leeds be dirty’ argument. 

Cutting but true, Leeds are a nasty breed and will always be detested by other clubs just like Millwall, soz Cjay, but you'll never be universally loved like the beautiful Rams ❤️

16 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I wasnt born when Don Revie was manager, so i cant comment on that really, dirty side, i dont know, very good side by all accounts, probably underachieved. 

From my point of view, "synonymous with certain styles"

I grew up with the David O'Leary side, definitely not a dirty side, had some tough players, but dont think anyone would have ever said we were dirty, had some very good technical players, if anything we had a good mix imo. 

So all i hear all my life has been "ooh dirty leeds, thugs on and off the pitch etc etc".

Ive no know interest in the firms and stuff, i dont care, if thats how people want to get there jollies then whatever, if you take a peek on the Millwall forum right now they are very proud of this firm of theres, its a badge of honour. Not going to find that on Leeds forums, most Leeds fans agree that its a bad time from a sad age where it was seen as cool. 

I think its silly to say a side are still dirty on the pitch based on a team from 50 years ago, people do about Leeds i know, and in some way its good, people remember that side, good or bad, most agree it was a very good side, perhaps a bit dirty, but it was a dirty time, ive seen clips, all the teams kicked lumps out of each other. 

Are you the same side style wise as you were under Clough? Probably not, styles change.

Its obvious that for whatever reason that Revie side is ingrained in the memories of rival fans who remember it, and therefore they will always associate us with them, which is ok. 

But styles and people change, are Leeds fans proud of there past, of course, i dont mind that people judge us on the past, human nature, but i dont agree that we are a dirty side and always will be, i wouldnt call any of the Leeds sides i grew up with dirty. 

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But on the plus side, at least you're nnot Stoke, who's decade in the top flight lled to them being renowned as a miserable Tuesday night bbeing hacked by thugs.

If you ever get nostalgic for those times, watch Boro ?

16 hours ago, philmycock said:

Cutting but true, Leeds are a nasty breed and will always be detested by other clubs just like Millwall, soz Cjay, but you'll never be universally loved like the beautiful Rams ❤️

You're beginning to get on peoples tits because of the Sky love in for Frankie Lampard mate  ?

Archived