Leeds fan in peace

Cjay

8 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Should have added this beforehand.

Curious.

From reading here it seems there is a lot of hostility towards Gary Rowett.

Even though he got you to the playoffs last season even before he left he didnt seem all that popular.

Why is that?

Understand why he wouldn't be popular now, but why before.

Always wondered.

Ask the Stoke fans at Christmas.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Should have added this beforehand.

Curious.

From reading here it seems there is a lot of hostility towards Gary Rowett.

Even though he got you to the playoffs last season even before he left he didnt seem all that popular.

Why is that?

Understand why he wouldn't be popular now, but why before.

Always wondered.

Many reasons, he got us playing awful football, sold/loaned out fan favourites Ince, Hughes, Martin and Bryson, once again we were top 2 and crumbled despite him signing experienced players with promotion know-how and he just pretty much halted any chance or youngsters getting a chance in the first team despite the horrible run we went on. Add to that him saying he loves the club and it's the job he always dreamed off, just for him to bugger off to Stoke 6 months after getting a nice new contract 

Many likely tolerated him because of the results up until the new year, and the Derby connection, with him being a former player. The football though was awful for the most part, and has been said above, he wrecked the nucleus of the squad that we had in favour of recruiting experienced (read aged) journeymen.

Even before he left, I was depressed at the thought of another season of the poo football he'd branded, and increasingly worried about how he'd further damage the squad had he stayed.

Results, at the expense of style, and experience at the expense of youth - he's basically Billy Davies without the playoff win.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Has he invested in some fish and a nice tank?

That one's gone over my head. I will say this though - he was like a tank for us, but floundered for you, so perhaps that's what you meant.

13 hours ago, Kernow said:

He was extremely unpopular with huge groups of fans. I didn't want to see him sacked because chopping and changing so often never got us anywhere, but the football was so negative. Some games were incredibly hard to watch. The second leg of the play-offs was a foregone conclusion after about five minutes. We treated them like they were Barcelona and we were only ever going to lose. I think that point lost him the most support because we had such a good opportunity, but messed it up by playing so negatively. We had our shockers throughout the season, for example 1-4 against Sunderland which is one of the most abject, depressing performances I can recall from Derby, but the Fulham game just suggested that it was going to be very difficult for us to go anywhere under him. After looking at comments from Stoke fans after your game, some are already dead against him which isn't overly surprising. If he brings the same style to them, I can't see them warming too much to him.

I think Stoke taking him off our hands was the best case scenario. Lampard's appointment brought the most unity I can remember surrounding an appointment, and I think we'll recover the decreasing attendances we saw under Rowett. On top of that, we got circa £2m out of his departure so we couldn't have done much better in the end.

Ah i see.

Yes, there was a lot of anger on the Stoke forum,  considering the squad they shouldn't be being outplayed like that.

Some of the tactical decisions that day were frankly bizarre.

Funny, from the outside looking in most people thought of Gary as a "talented young manager" who you were horrified to lose.

Whereas it seems its the total opposite.

13 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I think the actual level of expectation is not that high, even considering the signings. After Gary Rowett, we needed a breath of fresh air and Frank has brought that straight away. What we want is some good enjoyable football. As fans, we know it's his first job, we're not 'expecting' success - but we're almost all 100% behind him and what he's trying to do. And we really want it to work out.

Oh its not that high.

So you're not expecting playoffs?

Hoping, but if you dont make it it isnt the end of the world.

13 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

his u18s won something like 70% of their games under his management. Scored 106 goals in 35 matches while conceding only 23... bodes well for us (fingers crossed haha)

Thats good?

Should know Mason Mount then, can only be a good thing.

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because his football was the worst I've ever witnessed in my life. Whenever we lost a game, there was almost no positives to take. He took the average age of our squad up to 29, sold Hughes and Ince. Rowett talks a good game, but the football he produces is shocking. Stoke won't get promoted with him in charge.

Was it his choice to sell Hughes and Ince though?

Cant really blame him for something that may have beentotally out of his control.

Can blame him for not spending the cash better though if thats the case.

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Style of football, regardless of opposition it was sit back and hit them on the break mainly through working the channels on long balls

Great when it worked, like Boro away, but no so good when getting dicked by Sunderland at home, and Burton Albion away.

On the odd occasion the players would forget themselves and score from free flowing passing moves, but that was more down to muscle memory than design.

???

Did think you would do better last season with your squad.

dropping out of the playoffs, scraping in at the end.

Thought he should have done better imo.

Lack of promotion won't be the end of the world. As long as we're there or thereabouts and playing decent football, I'd settle for that. The last time I actually enjoyed watching us play was 2014. Since then, even the playoff seasons, we've got there playing some turgid football. Of all the Managers who've come in during that time and tried to change things, this is the most promising and encouraging, so fingers crossed.

Rowett - I don't much like Leeds, but I was cheering you on last Sunday. That's the level of loathing I have for the pr*ck.

13 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Many reasons, he got us playing awful football, sold/loaned out fan favourites Ince, Hughes, Martin and Bryson, once again we were top 2 and crumbled despite him signing experienced players with promotion know-how and he just pretty much halted any chance or youngsters getting a chance in the first team despite the horrible run we went on. Add to that him saying he loves the club and it's the job he always dreamed off, just for him to bugger off to Stoke 6 months after getting a nice new contract 

Bet Stoke is his "dream job" to.

I'm feeling a tiny bit of sympathy for Rowett. When i suggested that the fan base was split 50:50 on him, some rubbished that stat and suggested it was 80:20 in support.

no doubt the play off performance and the exit changed a few hearts and minds, and there is now a genuine consensus that the football wasn't great. We sat back and invited teams onto us. The warning signs were there early in the season when brentford fans called it anti-football.

We should make the play offs we are less focussed on promotion than performance and style. People are looking forward to the season and something better to watch where we might manage more than three shots a game.

Leeds will be a massive test but win, lose or draw 100% are supportive now.

13 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Many likely tolerated him because of the results up until the new year, and the Derby connection, with him being a former player. The football though was awful for the most part, and has been said above, he wrecked the nucleus of the squad that we had in favour of recruiting experienced (read aged) journeymen.

Even before he left, I was depressed at the thought of another season of the poo football he'd branded, and increasingly worried about how he'd further damage the squad had he stayed.

Results, at the expense of style, and experience at the expense of youth - he's basically Billy Davies without the playoff win.

Funny how fans have a totally different view to there managers.

Read an interview with Rowett (think he was still with you).

He talked about his style of football being.

"Slick and precise"

High pressing

Hard working

Attacking football 

?

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

"Slick and precise"

High pressing

Hard working

Attacking football 

?

Part of it was we weren't that good at being that kind of team. And its a style tthat you forgive if its bringing rresults

Where as stoke on the other hand never really took to post pulis ground hogging styles and still pine for the proper hoof.

4 minutes ago, Cjay said:

"Slick and precise"

High pressing

Hard working

Attacking football 

?

We called it Rowettball. It wasn't a compliment. He'll do the same at Stoke, which is encouraging for both of us as it will effectively remove Stoke from the promotion picture.

14 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Thought Leeds looked excellent at weekend.

Air of positivity around our club for the first time in a while, which is weird as we have consistently been challenging for top 6 every season for a few seasons.

Injection of youth has been great to see, although we obviously have a few fans writing players off after one league appearance.

Just too young for Leeds rivalry, think first time I saw you was when we clinched promotion at the BBG back in 87, more concerned with seeing our neighbours and Stoke faltering for my schadenfreude this season.

Was also once managed by Norman Hunter, top top bloke and got a lot of time for your current bloke.

Quite concerned for Saturday as as previously mentioned you looked rather sharp, but given the past year just giving it a go and watching a decent game of football will be enough for me.

End the season: God knows, could be anywhere between 1st and 16th, just as long as the journey there is fun though.

Lastly, like how you do kits as well plain classic home and more adventurous with the change.

Who did you play for?

Archived