Leeds fan in peace

Cjay

Hello Derby fans?

Last season i decided it would be interesting to go around some of our league rival forums for a chat?

Then i post it on our forum and anyone who fancies a read can. 

Just to get your view on a few things regarding your club.

New signings, new manager, thoughts on your 1st game and the Leeds game coming up and finally where you think you will end the season.

Understand there is a history between our two clubs,  not here to troll or wind anyone up and if it helps please feel free to have at it with the anti Leeds stuff?

More interested in the here and now though.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect us, alongside you lot will finish in and around the top 6. You've made some good signings, Barry Douglas stands out as one. In all honesty, we were very poor in the first half vs Reading, we were slightly better in the second half. It'll be interesting to see how we match up against you, we have comparable styles of play, both teams will want to press and dominate the midfield battle. I suspect the game will finish in a draw.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I expect us, alongside you lot will finish in and around the top 6. You've made some good signings, Barry Douglas stands out as one. In all honesty, we were very poor in the first half vs Reading, we were slightly better in the second half. It'll be interesting to see how we much up against you, we have comparable styles of play, both teams will want to press and dominate the midfield battle. I suspect the game will finish in a draw.

Didnt see the 1st half tbf, caught what the pundits said, sounded like you were poor and a bit fortunate.

2nd half you were better, the header was class. 

Be interesting for sure, wily old manager vs up and coming ex international. 

19 minutes ago, Cjay said:

New signings, new manager, thoughts on your 1st game and the Leeds game coming up and finally where you think you will end the season.

Well CJ our season usually ends in January/February and no amount of Chelsea loanees are going to change that. But between now and then i expect us to get better and better as we ride the Frankie wave of positivity... 3-2 to us on Saturday.

18 minutes ago, Cjay said:

I think the general consensus so far is that we are very impressed with Lampard. He's obviously still unknown in terms of managerial ability, but his reputation and the buzz that created around the club, as well as the attention it brought from the national media created more excitement than Rowett ever would have no matter what he did this summer.

The signings Frank has made have been very refreshing. His stature in the game has already benefited us by attracting highly talented youngsters like Harry Wilson, but more so, Mason Mount. Mount looks like a quality player and really could take the division by storm this season if he gets anywhere near the hype that surrounds him. On top of that we've managed to beat other good, strong sides in this division to signings. For example Waghorn was on his way to Boro, and Jozefzoon was on his way to yourselves (literally travelling there), before Lampard called and they changed their minds. Players respect him and want to play for him and that's a huge benefit to us.

Our first game started poorly. Very slow and disjointed and we looked nervous. It was a surprise as we put in some excellent pre-season performances, and we were perhaps lucky we faced Reading who were equally poor, as we could have been taken apart by a more confident side. We improved in the second half, and a draw was probably fair but a moment of real quality snatched it. There's much, much more to come from this side, so hopefully it's just a couple days away. 

I think with the squad we now have, and the style we'll be looking to play, we should be comfortably top six, and I'd be disappointed with anything below that to be honest. But I want Lampard to be here long-term and build something here, so if we look to play good football but narrowly fall short, I won't be up in arms calling for his departure.

The game on Saturday has the potential to be a cracker with the ability and styles of both sides. I have a good feeling about it and I think we'll edge it, but I'm sure you're confident too.

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Well CJ our season usually ends in January/February and no amount of Chelsea loanees are going to change that. But between now and then i expect us to get better and better as we ride the Frankie wave of positivity... 3-2 to us on Saturday.

Know a lot about seasons ending before everyone else?

Does seem to be a lot of positivity around Derby because of Frank from reading here and stuff.

Not concerned by his lack of experience? Then again he has a lot of experience to call on for advice if needed i suppose. 

Great players not often making great managers etc.

Signings for us are pleasing after a year of Rowett signing 30+ players on big wages. We had a fans forum tonight and Mel Morris reassured any concerns about FFP by saying all our signings were covered by the sales and we're likely to have more leave on loan with a view to a permanent soon, or even be sold to teams abroad like Blackman appears to be close to. 

We were really poor in our first game. We'd had a pre-season of some great football and outplaying a couple of Prem teams playing pretty much their strongest 11 (I know, it's only pre-season but still encouraging) and then it just was so slow and lethargic against Reading. I was very impressed with Leeds and very happy to see you lot put some early pressure on Rowett. I reckon we'll both be in and around the top 6, but the experience with each manager might be the difference in us missing out on the play offs and you making them/automatic promotion.

For the game at the weekend I'll feel a lot more confident/worried when I see the starting 11. I'm hoping Waghorn or Marriott start up front, but I've got a feeling he'll go with Nugent again or even young Bennett. I've seen that on your forums there's a lot of confidence that you'll smash us and there's a lot of animosity towards Lampard because he's talked about a lot in the media, as if that's his fault. I'm sure some of our fans do the same, but it seems quite silly to me that some Leeds fans get all excited over their manager and how he's perceived to be such a tactical genius, but then it annoys them when Lampard is talked about a lot due to his popularity. And then the anger about the Vydra deal is a bit strange as well. Vydra has said himself Derby tried pushing him to complete the move to Leeds, but he didn't want to and so held out for a Prem team, but some Leeds fans have directed their anger towards Derby like they did it on purpose.

Anyway, best of luck for the game, should be a good un'  ?

Thought Leeds looked excellent at weekend.

Air of positivity around our club for the first time in a while, which is weird as we have consistently been challenging for top 6 every season for a few seasons.

Injection of youth has been great to see, although we obviously have a few fans writing players off after one league appearance.

Just too young for Leeds rivalry, think first time I saw you was when we clinched promotion at the BBG back in 87, more concerned with seeing our neighbours and Stoke faltering for my schadenfreude this season.

Was also once managed by Norman Hunter, top top bloke and got a lot of time for your current bloke.

Quite concerned for Saturday as as previously mentioned you looked rather sharp, but given the past year just giving it a go and watching a decent game of football will be enough for me.

End the season: God knows, could be anywhere between 1st and 16th, just as long as the journey there is fun though.

Lastly, like how you do kits as well plain classic home and more adventurous with the change.

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Does seem to be a lot of positivity around Derby because of Frank from reading here and stuff.

Not concerned by his lack of experience? Then again he has a lot of experience to call on for advice if needed i suppose. 

Jody Morris seems to have helped with that, pretty awesome coaching record with Chelsea's youth and seems to be carrying it over here.

Gonna be a close one on Saturday I reckon

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think the general consensus so far is that we are very impressed with Lampard. He's obviously still unknown in terms of managerial ability, but his reputation and the buzz that created around the club, as well as the attention it brought from the national media created more excitement than Rowett ever would have no matter what he did this summer.

The signings Frank has made have been very refreshing. His stature in the game has already benefited us by attracting highly talented youngsters like Harry Wilson, but more so, Mason Mount. Mount looks like a quality player and really could take the division by storm this season if he gets anywhere near the hype that surrounds him. On top of that we've managed to beat other good, strong sides in this division to signings. For example Waghorn was on his way to Boro, and Jozefzoon was on his way to yourselves (literally travelling there), before Lampard called and they changed their minds. Players respect him and want to play for him and that's a huge benefit to us.

Our first game started poorly. Very slow and disjointed and we looked nervous. It was a surprise as we put in some excellent pre-season performances, and we were perhaps lucky we faced Reading who were equally poor, as we could have been taken apart by a more confident side. We improved in the second half, and a draw was probably fair but a moment of real quality snatched it. There's much, much more to come from this side, so hopefully it's just a couple days away. 

I think with the squad we now have, and the style we'll be looking to play, we should be comfortably top six, and I'd be disappointed with anything below that to be honest. But I want Lampard to be here long-term and build something here, so if we look to play good football but narrowly fall short, I won't be up in arms calling for his departure.

The game on Saturday has the potential to be a cracker with the ability and styles of both sides. I have a good feeling about it and I think we'll edge it, but I'm sure you're confident too.

Can understand that, Frank Lampard has attracted the media and attention that otherwise may not have happened, he is a very intelligent person by all accounts, worked with some great people, on paper a risk worth taking. 

Get the impression Rowett wasnt all that popular? Or is that down to him going.

Thought Mount played really well for you in the half i saw, liked Wilson at Hull, was a bit disappointed we didnt get him.

The Jozefzoon one was a bit of a choker ?but not overly upset, will be if he has a stormer on Saturday, he is bound to.

Can see why players now would pick Lampard over Bielsa, as much as Bielsa is this legend and oracle it seems, players now in there 20s will know Frank as a playing legend so it makes sense that would appeal to the average player. 

Think thats why our fans seem confident and it perhaps comes across as arrogant. You started poorly 1st half as you say, we on the other hand started totally the opposite and really did a number on Stoke. Was on there forum and they fully admit 1st half they could have been 4 or 5 down. 

So to us if the performances are the same, you pick up 2nd half we dip but start 1st the same then we could be out of sight by the time you wake up. 

But different game different circumstances, your at home, your team will be eager to impress so its likely it wont be like that. 

Does seem like Lampard is a long term thing, maybe hoping for promotion but planning for not and just looking to build a strong base maybe.

Should be fun.

Thanks for the reply.?

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Jody Morris seems to have helped with that, pretty awesome coaching record with Chelsea's youth and seems to be carrying it over here.

Gonna be a close one on Saturday I reckon

Didnt know that about Jody Morris tbh, knew he had worked at Chelsea, didnt realise he had done well as a youth coach, take some of the pressure away from Frank.

Think you could be right, 1 goal in it i suspect.

15 minutes ago, Cjay said:

I think the actual level of expectation is not that high, even considering the signings. After Gary Rowett, we needed a breath of fresh air and Frank has brought that straight away. What we want is some good enjoyable football. As fans, we know it's his first job, we're not 'expecting' success - but we're almost all 100% behind him and what he's trying to do. And we really want it to work out.

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Didnt know that about Jody Morris tbh, knew he had worked at Chelsea, didnt realise he had done well as a youth coach, take some of the pressure away from Frank.

Think you could be right, 1 goal in it i suspect.

his u18s won something like 70% of their games under his management. Scored 106 goals in 35 matches while conceding only 23... bodes well for us (fingers crossed haha)

7 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Get the impression Rowett wasnt all that popular? Or is that down to him going.

He was extremely unpopular with huge groups of fans. I didn't want to see him sacked because chopping and changing so often never got us anywhere, but the football was so negative. Some games were incredibly hard to watch. The second leg of the play-offs was a foregone conclusion after about five minutes. We treated them like they were Barcelona and we were only ever going to lose. I think that point lost him the most support because we had such a good opportunity, but messed it up by playing so negatively. We had our shockers throughout the season, for example 1-4 against Sunderland which is one of the most abject, depressing performances I can recall from Derby, but the Fulham game just suggested that it was going to be very difficult for us to go anywhere under him. After looking at comments from Stoke fans after your game, some are already dead against him which isn't overly surprising. If he brings the same style to them, I can't see them warming too much to him.

I think Stoke taking him off our hands was the best case scenario. Lampard's appointment brought the most unity I can remember surrounding an appointment, and I think we'll recover the decreasing attendances we saw under Rowett. On top of that, we got circa £2m out of his departure so we couldn't have done much better in the end.

Should have added this beforehand.

Curious.

From reading here it seems there is a lot of hostility towards Gary Rowett.

Even though he got you to the playoffs last season even before he left he didnt seem all that popular.

Why is that?

Understand why he wouldn't be popular now, but why before.

Always wondered.

5 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Curious.

Even though he got you to the playoffs last season even before he left he didnt seem all that popular.

Why is that?

Always wondered.

Because his football was the worst I've ever witnessed in my life. Whenever we lost a game, there was almost no positives to take. He took the average age of our squad up to 29, sold Hughes and Ince. Rowett talks a good game, but the football he produces is shocking. Stoke won't get promoted with him in charge.

3 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Curious.

Why is that?

Always wondered.

Style of football, regardless of opposition it was sit back and hit them on the break mainly through working the channels on long balls

Great when it worked, like Boro away, but no so good when getting dicked by Sunderland at home, and Burton Albion away.

On the odd occasion the players would forget themselves and score from free flowing passing moves, but that was more down to muscle memory than design.

Archived