Planning for an embargo?

StarterForTen

Just a theory, but wondered if our extensive recruitment activity this summer is actually pre-planning for failing to meet FFP requirements and facing a transfer embargo next year?

Bringing in so many new players - particularly younger ones - means we are giving ourselves the best chance of a creating a promotion-winning team this season but, if it doesn't quite come off and we get a transfer ban as an EFL club, our squad is sorted for next season too.

And with so many of our 'unwanteds' going out of contract next summer, the problem resolves itself in time for 2020.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first glance I have been wondering as well, but with Bent, Shackle, Baird, Vydra, Zanzale, Weimann, Vernam gone it isn’t quite as extreme as it seems. Then consider the 3 of the new boys are loaners then it almost looks reasonable ? It isn’t, but sell a couple late in the day and loan out a couple and we must be more or less balanced 

I think he's preparing for a lot of exits. Lampard said in his recent interview that the squad has had to be changed. He said the loan window could see some movement but probably outgoings.

I think he's just trying to get his own squad as fast as possible. Probably not too keen on matching his style with the squad he inherited. We're talking squad and not necessarily an 11. 

Contracts are running out and with all the incoming I'm sure a few players have had meetings to be told they are free to look for a move. Now that he's given himself some depth for the type of team he wants he's able to let players move on.

As we know theres a few that haven't really sold themselves well at Derby and will need good loans to convince clubs to pay them the sort of wage we payed in our promotion hunt. 

I don't know much about our FFP situation and I bet most fans won't go through the details to find out. You can't even trust transfer fee quotes. All the bizarre agreements in contracts etc now. I mean who actually knows the full details? I bet no journalists know how many clauses are in any of these transfers. Sell on percentage, x amount of games, promotion/survival, x amount paid in full.

I mean take Ince. Would you be surprised to learn that there's conditions on if Hudders stay up, if Ince plays, if Ince gets a cap, if Ince is sold.

The basic way we work it out on here is so rough estimations that most of us have no clue. Every club will be making every deal try to loophole through FFP. 

I don't think there's ever been a news story that we are in the pooh though. The only news story about tightening our belts has come from things Mel has said. So until we see "Rams could face Embargo" etc I don't see a reason to question what Derby do with their money. 

If ramblur was in form he might have some juicy gossip. He's one that's got a head for digging through paperwork. 

Wont be getting an embargo when were in the premier league next year 

plus we probably havent spent that much

11m for vydra, wiemann was a mil, wages saved on the players gone, ince sell on clause/ bonus for huddersfield staying up & the rowett compo bet we’ve had £15m or so income 

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

Just a theory, but wondered if our extensive recruitment activity this summer is actually pre-planning for failing to meet FFP requirements and facing a transfer embargo next year?

Bringing in so many new players - particularly younger ones - means we are giving ourselves the best chance of a creating a promotion-winning team this season but, if it doesn't quite come off and we get a transfer ban as an EFL club, our squad is sorted for next season too.

And with so many of our 'unwanteds' going out of contract next summer, the problem resolves itself in time for 2020.

So you think they are spending more money because they are concerned about getting disciplined for spending too much money?

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

No.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No way, we just wanted a rebuild. We’ve wanted one for ages and we’re finally in the process of a proper one.

a rebuild is and was not necessary. Weve been in the play offs every year bar one in recent seasons. We were 2nd at xmas last year, and we were one game away from wembley against a very very good Fulham side.

There was some real talent at Derby, I use was, because it looks like they will have to move on now... and some of them will be moving on to the Premier league, not league one or lower.

Just now, jagerbob said:

a rebuild is and was not necessary. Weve been in the play offs every year bar one in recent seasons. We were 2nd at xmas last year, and we were one game away from wembley against a very very good Fulham side.

There was some real talent at Derby, I use was, because it looks like they will have to move on now... and some of them will be moving on to the Premier league, not league one or lower.

But he style of football was completely inconducive to long term success... Who’s this so called talent that will be moving on to the premier league? The windows shut they can’t anymore, and clearly no one wanted them.. wonder why? Rowett got a pretty poor team (partly his fault) playing reasonably well, but there was no way that was going to continue against better sides. We needed a rebuild to a more footballing side, and that’s what lampards aim has been this window.

15 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

We wouldn't have a  prayer of promotion if Lampard had n't signed the likes of Waghorn, Marriot , Mount and Malone. we played crap football under rowett and didn't deserve to go up. We have signed so many players so we can suit a more attacking style of play in a 433 and to improve on some of the weak points in the team such as forsyth and a lack of quality upfront.

22 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Drop out Rowett's bum.

When it was Mac you weren't defending him. 

Who's moving to the PL then? Apart from Vydra. Who's the real talent. 

Are they the ones Rowett sold into the PL to replace them with 30 year olds like Ledley, Davies, Huddlestone and Jerome? 

How many players have the team that you hope smash the league bought? I'm pretty sure it's the same as Derby.

Lampard has a vision and he's building a team. Rowett had a vision and he bought and sold players. What's the problem? 

37 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

My god what are you on

43 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

You have won my personal award for the most delusional post in my living memory!

Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

The players were on a decline. That showed second half of the season. Rowett overachieved with us if I am honest and knew it was a very tough task ahead. He jumped what he thought was a sinking boat but frankie came in and fixed the hole and has put up some new fresher sails.

ive gone from expecting a rebuild season with mid table to thinking we are now contenders.

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Please, will everyone just give this a rest !

DCFC will already know what their next declaration will be, and they will already be planning ahead 2 or 3 + years in advance.

Why can't we just give them a bit of credit, and enjoy all the positivity that's around ... let's concentrate on supporting the Rams rather than worrying about things  ?

I for one am really looking forward to the season ahead ... COYR !

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Players who were good at hoofball. The skilful ones had already been sold.

Archived