Thanks Matej

Comrade 86

So he's gone - last season's top scoring Ram and the only real bright light in an otherwise drab and dreary year. His departure has been the subject of much debate - can he play in a 4-3-3, is he mardy, does he offer anything other than goals, some even suggested he was disruptive and dragged down other players. Frankly, most of that seems like utter tosh to me and he's handled himself with a good deal more dignity than some of his critics. The only thing I guess that really can't be debated was that the was a finisher par excellence, with a rocket in both boots. It seems like most won't miss him but I will certainly will. Anyway. cheers Matej and best of luck in the Premiership. Hopefully we'll be up there with you next season ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So he's gone - last season's top scoring Ram and the only real bright light in an otherwise drab and dreary year. His departure has been the subject of much debate - can he play in a 4-3-3, is he mardy, does he offer anything other than goals, some even suggested he was disruptive and dragged down other players. Frankly, most of that seems like utter tosh to me and he's handled himself with a good deal more dignity than some of his critics. The only thing I guess that really can't be debated was that the was a finisher par excellence, with a rocket in both boots. It seems like most won't miss him but I will certainly will. Anyway. cheers Matej and best of luck in the Premiership. Hopefully we'll be up there with you next season ?

Great post @86 points. You’re right on 2 counts:

1. Brilliant finisher. His iconic strike against the Reddogs defined him {I can’t watch that goal without the Alan Partridge commentary in my “mind’s ear” where Partridge simply shouts “TW4T” as it lump-hammers the back of the onion bag”}!

2. I’m usually like a depressed maniac whenever a good player leaves the Rams...but not for Vydra! Why not?!! I just don’t know...I guess we just didn’t bond. 

But all the best Mr Vydra. What a finisher! 

Enjoyed watching him at his best.

I think the reason why some of us aren’t sad was because of the way we played last season. We didn’t really feel a connection with any of them. Wasn’t his or any of the players’ fault, just the football made many of us feel numb. Well it did me anyway.

He was the bright spark of last season. Carson and Davies were positives, but wouldn’t say they were exciting either.

Offered the best memories from a season I’d rather forget. Good luck to him, think he could form a partnership with Wood at Burnley.

As a fan , I so wanted to Matej to succeed in his first season and was disappointed when he didn't , because I could see how good a footballer he was. Then when he did fulfill his potential last year I was so pleased for him . On the flip side of that though it was became clear he could only play one way and needed to play with another centre forward to be effective. After all that I'm always going to have fond memories , all the best Matej.

I'm a bit sad he has gone, but I dont think him leaving will impact on our team unless the move for Waghorn falls through so I'm not too bothered.  I would like to see him do well in the prem, and I reckon as a number a 10 he will be a big upgrade over Hendrick for them.

55 minutes ago, Waffle said:

@Millenniumram My thoughts and prayers are with you tonight. One of a handful who always backed him.

If you look close enough you can see natural talent in spite of form?... At this time however I think it’s the right time to sell him, he clearly didn’t figure in Lampards thinking and that cash raised will hopefully go to good use

8 minutes ago, bx3 said:

Frank has clearly flogged him off because he has something better lined up.

Who could that be?

What gave you the idea that he has something better lined up? I presume you know we're signing Waghorn, so I'm guessing you mean another signing on top of that? 

Brilliant last year at times and will always remember him for it. Some crackers (Forest, Brum away, Hull home) that’ll live long in the memory. 

Good decision to cash in whilst his value is high, it’s given Frank a really good chance to build a team. 

Good luck Matej. 

Absolutely. An aging and slowing Nugent. From what I remember Waghorn scored a good few in an average Ipswich side. Wilson hopefully has some goals in him. Maybe Marriott does step up.

Winnall's gone. Bennett? Jerome?

If not this window, next. MM permitting.

(oops, should have quoted Cam the Ram)

Sad for us, but very grateful to Matej!

A genuine talent which deserves the opportunity to be among Premiership players.

He is the main reason we had a top six finish and is now in the Prem.

I wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks Matej, glad you avoided Elland Road and the Damned United!

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If you look close enough you can see natural talent in spite of form?... At this time however I think it’s the right time to sell him, he clearly didn’t figure in Lampards thinking and that cash raised will hopefully go to good use

I’m genuinely gutted. He’s up there in my favourite players to wear the shirt 

1 minute ago, steve brummie said:

Sad for us, but very grateful to Matej!

A genuine talent which deserves the opportunity to be among Premiership players.

He is the main reason we had a top six finish and is now in the Prem.

I wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks Matej, glad you avoided Elland Road and the Damned United!

A few years ago we'd have been moaning that we couldn't keep our top scorer, things have changes.  I used to dread transfer deadline day

1 minute ago, Waffle said:

I’m genuinely gutted. He’s up there in my favourite players to wear the shirt 

He certainly had the special something in his locker... But I guess we must all move on quickly, plenty of players out there with the potential to be that sort of player... Lawrence and mount my picks, Lawrence in particular I think we’ll see a big improvement from this year.

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

A few years ago we'd have been moaning that we couldn't keep our top scorer, things have changes.  I used to dread transfer deadline day

We're bigger than that now!

Mind you,  any of us who rememember the Doc selling Toddy have had to learn to tolerate anything!

Archived