Tom Huddlestone

Oldben

On the fence. Unless they are integral I'm pretty much all for cashing in on older players.

Although I'm hoping this season we're aiming higher than purely transition so think it could be worth holding on to him unless a) we get a silly bid, or B) he wants to go.

Offers something different due to his range of passing, but I have to trust Frank's judgement on midfielders. This is a guy who spent most of his career at the top of his game and played with the likes of Makalele, so I'd like to think he knows exactly what he is looking for in that deeper role.

Can't see us getting more than our £2m back. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah sell. Would be a cracking buy for Cardiff for a couple of million and we gotta sell loads! Ledley and Evans can fight it out for that spot. Having Hudds, Thorne, Hanson & Johnson all sat around doing nowt is ridiculous.

May the exodus begin.

I'd be sad to see him go. A class above this league and he showed that so many times last year, even though his legs are going some players still can't get within 5 yards of him. I was looking forward to seeing him play with this young, exciting team in front of him. 

As I said, I'd be sad to see him go but every player has their price and he's obviously one of our big earners which might be the main reason for the sale?

PistoldPete2
27 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I'd be slightly disappointed if he went, unless we get a crazy 4-5m bid. I thought we missed him vs Reading. I'd like to keep him here. 

Yes I think it would take more than £4 million or £5 million otherwise reject.

Hope he doesn't go. He started poorly last season but was one of the rare joys to watch under Rowett with his natural vision. A fully fit McClaren-era George Thorne would suit our current system best but it looks like he's a long way from being what he was and currently way down on FL's pecking order. No idea if Evans is the answer but we need someone who is always willing to show to give the defence that outlet and can spring defence into attack. At the same time, that role needs someone disciplined, who is smart defensively. Not many of these around are there?! Ngolo Kante basically! I know we have a lot of midfielders but this is the area that concerns me most - love Bryson but if those muscle injuries crop up again this season, we could be easy to play through.

23 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Our results were way, way better with him in the team than out last season.

I could see us selling, though, as he's not really suited to the lone DM role.

Well yes, on the single occasion he was out of the team last season we did lose 4-1 at home to Sunderland, but that's not really a very big sample size!  Our results were way, way better when Huddlestone was playing alongside Ledley rather than Johnson though! Gee I wonder why that was? ?

I agree on the lone DM bit. The signing of Huddlestone meant we HAD to spend most of last season playing with 2 DMs against any of the better teams - often it was overkill against weaker opposition though. 

The problem is we need someone in that position to get the ball quickly to Mount, and that person isn't Ledley, Johnson, 2018 Thorne, and it doesn't sound like it's Evans either. It's a problem of Rowett's creation that we haven't yet found the solution to.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Well yes, on the single occasion he was out of the team last season we did lose 4-1 at home to Sunderland, but that's not really a very big sample size!  Our results were way, way better when Huddlestone was playing alongside Ledley rather than Johnson though! Gee I wonder why that was? ?

I agree on the lone DM bit. The signing of Huddlestone meant we HAD to spend most of last season playing with 2 DMs against any of the better teams - often it was overkill against weaker opposition though. 

The problem is we need someone in that position to get the ball quickly to Mount, and that person isn't Ledley, Johnson, 2018 Thorne, and it doesn't sound like it's Evans either. It's a problem of Rowett's creation that we haven't yet found the solution to.

Huddlestone brings the quality we need. if we play him well need bryson to sit a little bit further back

6 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Huddlestone brings the quality we need. if we play him well need bryson to sit a little bit further back

...which totally negates the whole point of having Bryson in the team and wastes the qualities he offers us. Similar to how he was underutilised & underwhelming under Pearson & Clement.

Huddlestone may not look mobile, but he genuinely doesn’t need it, he knows where every single player on the pitch is. Defensively he’s got great positioning and wins the ball by knowing where it will end up. If anyone says he slows the game down they are totally wrong. He does everything on 1-2 touches. Suits our current system to the ground and with Bryson and mount playing box to box roles we don’t need him to have pace. 

That said he isn’t indispensable and if an offer of more than we paid for him comes in it should be considered. I do think he wants to get promoted with Derby though and if Frank says he wants him I’d imagine he’d be reluctant to go 

Archived