Tom Huddlestone

Oldben

PistoldPete2
20 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Derby effectively have 4 CDM's-Huddlestone, Ledley, Evans and Thorne. Depending on the fee for Huddlestone I would be tempted to let him go and use the money elsewhere.

Neither Thorne nor Ledleycan be relied on for fitness

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d tou want the midfield 3 to rotate then he’s not the man.

If you want him to break up the play then he’s not the man.

If you want energy and mobility he’s not the man.

If you want someone who has decent long range passing he’s the man. 

Depends what Frank wants but personally reckon it’s the first 3 more than the last.

Best passer in the division. I would be mortified if we sold him. Miles the best of the holding midfield players for me.

29 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

For me, he's one of our best players and I wouldn't sell. His game isn't about pace (luckiliy...) so I think he'll be playing when he's late 30's. Class player and I'd be gutted if he went. I really don't think he wants to go - he was delighted to come back here. He's earned his $$$$ so I think he'll be happy to stay.

One of a few players at this level who never looks panicked on the ball. Class. I’d be very very sorry to see him go. He is a footballer a proper one. There’s plenty of young una to run around for him while he sprays accurate passes short and long and can put a foot on the ball and look around where necessary 

Can’t make my mind up. Read the posts in favour of keeping Tom and think ‘yeah I agree’ then read another one that says ‘sell’ and can see their point too!!! I used to be indecisive but I’m not sure if I am anymore!!! .... I leave it to Frank and go with what he decides ?

I love Huddlestone. Had my picture taken with him when I was about 14/15 and he was 16 just breaking into the first team. He was an absolute giant compared to me and was such a good player. When he left without scoring for us.. then scored his first ever professional against us for Wolves, it still haunts me now.

As some have said.. maybe he doesn't fancy another slog in the champ when he could easily play in the prem. He's one of the best passers I've ever seen at Derby, and I'm just so glad he got a couple goals for us in the end. Great lad, great professional, wish him all the best if he goes. 

?

24 minutes ago, needles said:

Best passer in the division. I would be mortified if we sold him. Miles the best of the holding midfield players for me.

But do we need his attributes when we aren’t going to be spraying 30-40 yard passes? He’s good but can he develop his game into our pressing game?

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

But do we need his attributes when we aren’t going to be spraying 30-40 yard passes? He’s good but can he develop his game into our pressing game?

A perfect 15 yard pass beats a slightly off line or off weight 15 yard pass.  For me, Tom should be the beating heart of the side like George was under Mac 1.

I accept he isn't mobile. I still think he'd be a revelation at centre half in this side.

people seem to forget what makes a good CDM. key phrase being DEFENSIVE. Huddlestone never uses his frame to challenge in 50/50s, hes tall but is always beaten in the air, he hardly makes tackles and i have never seen him make a slide tackle and his speed is horrible to watch, yes His passing is second to none however there is more to a Defensive midfielder than just passing the ball and keeping the play tidy, you need that player to shield the defence. Does Huddlestone do that i dont think so. 

If you want Kante, he isn't it. More than one way to play that way. Right place at the right time gets you a long way.

Looks like Frank doesn't agree with me, so I'll have to wear that. Shame though. At times last season he was the only thing worth watching at PP.

Only sell if we can make a decent profit,letting him go for what we paid £2 mill , isn't worth selling for and would be better off keeping .I appreciate squad is too large but no point selling our better players to reduce it . £4 mill must be a min and they can have Blackman thrown in.?

11 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

this is like saying you wouldn't play Pirlo because he didn't have gogo gadget legs.......sometimes you need someone to dictate play as well.....Bryson and mount can be the legs in midfield

Trouble we had last year was that when teams put someone on Tom, it stopped his passing and stopped us playing....

Much as I love the 50 yard passes, his mobility has always been an issue and that's not going to improve, so sell if we can bring in a decent fee....

Yes he was one of the players who didn’t hide towards the end of the season but a more rugged DM who does the ugly stuff first then passes the ball to Mount and Bryson might fit this team better.

our biggest problem last season was the make up of the midfield and let’s be honest, a sizeable fee plus his wages off the books makes business sense.

2 minutes ago, brankostrupar said:

this is like saying you wouldn't play Pirlo because he didn't have gogo gadget legs.......sometimes you need someone to dictate play as well.....Bryson and mount can be the legs in midfield

Yeah I’d dare say Pirlo being a consistently top class player had the ability to position himself in which to hide his weaknesses. It’s hard to say if Huddlestone has the same when he’s been in with two DM’s rather than by himself..

In a 4-3-3, you could argue that your perfect set-up is to have:

- a ball winning, defensive midfielder

- a mobile playmaker 

- an advanced attacking midfielder 

Best examples of this would be say: Thorne, Hughes, Bryson. 

Which role does Huddlestone fill now? Not mobile enough for the playmaker role. Not really defensive enough to be a ball winner. I don't think it would be as nightmarish as some are suggesting if he were to go. Especially if we make a profit. 

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Trouble we had last year was that when teams put someone on Tom, it stopped his passing and stopped us playing....

Much as I love the 50 yard passes, his mobility has always been an issue and that's not going to improve, so sell if we can bring in a decent fee....

I'll bet he's no slower now than he was at 16 when he broke into our side. 

I think it was Mr Clough Snr who said, 'Don't look at what a player can't do, look at what he can do." Still true.

9 minutes ago, needles said:

A perfect 15 yard pass beats a slightly off line or off weight 15 yard pass.  For me, Tom should be the beating heart of the side like George was under Mac 1.

I accept he isn't mobile. I still think he'd be a revelation at centre half in this side.

For his passing he’d be in my 11 no doubt, but it’s more of his game tempo is be concerned with. If you could guarantee that he could be this side’s Eustace then that’s fine by me. Maybe I’m just not convinced he will be, but happy to be proven wrong on this one. 

Hes a quality player and his effortlessness can appear to be laziness but he is so calm and clever on the ball. Most players take two or three touches but his range of passing with one touch is prem quality. Yes, he is getting on but he has never been blessed with an engine or pace. If he goes and we bring in a midfielder like Maddison then fair enough but if he stays and goes on a free then i am fine with that also. I would rather have him than Butterfield or Johnson personally!

Archived