Tom Huddlestone

Oldben

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Controversial opinion:

We need to sell players and there’s a reason we haven’t been able to shift the likes of Butterfield and Blackman - no one wants them. 

Hence, when someone looks to buy a 31 year old on huge wages for 2 million, when they have a year left on their contract, when we have cover in that position, it should be considered.

Hes an excellent player but I would fully understand the club selling him.

1 hour ago, 3766dan said:

He’s past the pace of the Premier league and Warnock is no mug , can’t see this happening.

How can he be past the pace if he’s just sat-in firing balls in behind on the counter or running the game from the centre-circle? 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

How can he be past the pace if he’s just sat-in firing balls in behind on the counter or running the game from the centre-circle? 

Cardiff  will average about 40% possession a midfielder in the Cardiff team will have a lot of defending to do.

All bids should be considered but Huddlestone is probably a high earner and is certainly our first choice DCM  and we would miss him but we have ledley and thorne and now Evans so this will probably happen if they bid £5 million which is more than a fair price for a premiership player of his experience ( and doesn’t have his wife come from Cardiff)

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

Derby effectively have 4 CDM's-Huddlestone, Ledley, Evans and Thorne. Depending on the fee for Huddlestone I would be tempted to let him go and use the money elsewhere.

Even if Thorne goes I think Bradley Johnson showed on Friday that he could play there in an emergency as 3rd choice behind Evans and Ledley.

Football has become a short-term business. The key question is whether playing Tom and/or having him around the squad helps or hinders promotion this season.

I'm not personally convinced he helps, due to his lack of mobility, but realize others saw more of him last season than me. I also didn't think his passing last season was as good as I expected it to be, as it's his single greatest attribute. I'm reminded of Chelsea last season trying to shoehorn Fabregas into a dynamic 4-3-3 and finding it couldn't work when the player was not dynamic enough.

If Frank is really desperate to keep Hudds (and it's not just a negotiating tactic) then it means no place in the starting 11 for Ledley or Evans (or Hanson or Thorne but it doesn't look as if they're being considered anyway). Evans will provide more energy, but less experience. Ledley is very good at what he does, but limited. Can Tom fill the role better this season? Or if we sold, could we afford to bring in someone who would do it better?

For me, he's one of our best players and I wouldn't sell. His game isn't about pace (luckiliy...) so I think he'll be playing when he's late 30's. Class player and I'd be gutted if he went. I really don't think he wants to go - he was delighted to come back here. He's earned his $$$$ so I think he'll be happy to stay.

Archived