Is the club being irresponsible?

I'm as delighted as most other fans about the positive vibes around Derby since Lampard joined, but I am genuinely worried by the growing size of the squad and the financial impact this must be having. Lampard seems to have been given free rein to bring his own players in without having to balance the books first by offloading others. I don't see how a Championship club can realistically retain a squad of 35 first team players, only a handful of whom are young, homegrown and on lower wages. 

How can we justify bringing in Waghorn when we already have 5 senior strikers at the club in Marriott, Martin, Jerome, Nugent and Vydra? Sure, we might want to get rid of some if we can find a taker, but until that is confirmed, surely we should show some restraint?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make huge assumptions without waiting to see the window close!

Seems a smart plan.

You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, same as me, so I don't think you should really call the club irresponsible without any clue to the inner workings and what is happening.

5 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I'm as delighted as most other fans about the positive vibes around Derby since Lampard joined, but I am genuinely worried by the growing size of the squad and the financial impact this must be having. Lampard seems to have been given free rein to bring his own players in without having to balance the books first by offloading others. I don't see how a Championship club can realistically retain a squad of 35 first team players, only a handful of whom are young, homegrown and on lower wages. 

How can we justify bringing in Waghorn when we already have 5 senior strikers at the club in Marriott, Martin, Jerome, Nugent and Vydra? Sure, we might want to get rid of some if we can find a taker, but until that is confirmed, surely we should show some restraint?

You missed out Blackman, but I am sure that quite a few player will be sold or loaned out during this month. Don't forget we have the loan window open until the 31st.

8 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Just for you...

1857547025_sellalltheplayers.jpg.2a2f221f91ae5d31d1a80f213ee98dad.jpg

I think it's a reasonable question.

I'm not particularly worried about FFP, best leave that to the experts in charge, but we have undoubtedly a massive squad, with several players nowhere near needed or in the picture.

If they're not gone by the end of the loan window, we're going to see a large proportion of wages sat on their arse, rather than contributing.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Let's make huge assumptions without waiting to see the window close!

Seems a smart plan.

You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, same as me, so I don't think you should really call the club irresponsible without any clue to the inner workings and what is happening.

The OP didn’t make any assumptions. Subtle but important different between “are we being irresponsible?” and “we are irresponsible.”

There will be 6 games played by every team in the championship before the loan window shuts. 7 games counting the cup game, some club will identify their shortfall in their poor performances by then and will come looking to another championship side with spare players to loan out.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The OP didn’t make any assumptions. Subtle but important different between “are we being irresponsible?” and “we are irresponsible.”

And my point in general, is we could have sorted several deals out in the background that we don't know about. He mentions having 5 strikers and says we should show restraint on signings there, yet we might have already made deals to sell Vydra etc, it just seems a bit preemptive to me.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And my point in general, is we could have sorted several deals out in the background that we don't know about. He mentions having 5 strikers and says we should show restraint on signings there, yet we might have already made deals to sell Vydra etc, it just seems a bit preemptive to me.

Whilst that is true, all that we know for certain is that we have a very large squad and only have a few days left to sort it.

Personally, it does make me a little nervous. Let’s hope for a late flurry of outs.

27 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

If the news about Vydra going to Burnley for £11m is to be believed, we'll be IN PROFIT for this window.

Now, could you argue that squad balance and cohesion is compromised with such a large squad? Yes.

But irresponsible? No chance.

Here we go again - transfer fees does not equal outgoings. Little point of salaries in there. So, yes, FFP happy but that is not all the story.

However, agree with the general theme of the replies - let's assume the powers that be are not making the same errors as many in other clubs have.

That said, it's a hard model to be financially responsible in football these days, the only way to the top increasingly seems to be to expect some gazillionaire to bank roll you to a place where the television revenues are the fuel to the fire. All a bit f'ed up really isn't it?

Have DCFC broken FFP before = No.

Have DCFC closely monitored FFP previously to ensure they don't break it = Yes.

Is DCFC being run responsibly ( in comparison to other clubs )  = Yes.

So why the heck should we break it now , especially when it's an aggregate over 3 years ?

And just remember transfer fees don't necessarily hit the bottom line in one go - in the old days they were amortised, and now it's more to do with players valuations vs the length of their contract.

I for one am sure that there's a spreadsheet behind everything doing various what if scenarios, and it's all under control - so lets trust MM & Co, and give him some credit that he's backing a young manager to the hilt.

Don't worry about it, and try and enjoy the season ahead ..... COYR !

Its depressing to see a perfectly reasonable question from the OP being shot down in such a condescending way. FFP & the future financial situation at the club is a valid discussion point.

Our transfer policy this summer seems to be at odds with what we thought was the likely approach this year. Rowett (apparently) left because of a reduced budget but here we are having spent over £10m (in transfer fees and loan fees) if the Waghorn deal goes through. The brief for this year seemed to be building a squad & bringing through youth - what we seem to be doing instead is going on another spending spree when the squad was already bloated to begin with. How can a stated intention to reduce the wage bill be reconciled with that? Worryingly, we've bought Marriott & Jozefzoon (£5.5m combined before add-ons?) but I don't see either of them walking into the team.

The other issue relates to the size of the squad & the potential for unused players to feel so far from the first team that it creates a bad atmosphere. At least 10-15 decent players will be missing out every week - that can't be healthy no matter how good a man manager Lampard is. And that doesn't even take into account of our young players hoping to breakthrough.

Big caveat here is that players may well be leaving between now & Thursday but we're leaving it very late. Is this a last ditch effort to spend our way to the top division? I suspect we'll know for sure if we don't see a number of departures before the weekend.

Archived