Hidden TV Gems

Jimbo Ram

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

But it's not really a hidden gem?

Depends for who it could be hidden. I watched it in 96, that's 22 years ago. Somebody who is now 30 probably wouldn't have even heard of it. Dear John, I Didn't Know You Cared, Blake's 7, ALF? More obscure than Men Behaving Badly?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Depends for who it could be hidden. I watched it in 96, that's 22 years ago. Somebody who is now 30 probably wouldn't have even heard of it. Dear John, I Didn't Know You Cared, Blake's 7, ALF? More obscure than Men Behaving Badly?

Yeah probably but get your point 

11 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah probably but get your point 

I like this little debate. Haha.

I think some programmes are still aired...and have actors in that are still very much current. Men Behaving Badly fits more into a Young Ones or even a Royle Family category in that way.

I loved Dear John and Blake 7 but can't recall the last time I saw either and I would have no idea about the actors involved. I would guess the % of the population who know Men Behaving Badly is much higher.  

However, time hasn't been kind to the memory of some of the shows mentioned though...in their prime in a 4 channel era they probably had massive audiences on prime time agreed, so are they hidden gems? Hmmm.

From my youth....programmes that I loved at the time and probably had massive audiences that the vast majority of people would not recall now...include Street Hawk, By The Sword Divided and Dick Turpin.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I think some programmes are still aired...and have actors in that are still very much current. Men Behaving Badly fits more into a Young Ones or even a Royle Family category in that way.

I loved Dear John and Blake 7 but can't recall the last time I saw either and I would have no idea about the actors involved. I would guess the % of the population who know Men Behaving Badly is much higher.  

However, time hasn't been kind to the memory of some of the shows mentioned though...in their prime in a 4 channel era they probably had massive audiences on prime time agreed, so are they hidden gems? Hmmm.

From my youth....programmes that I loved at the time and probably had massive audiences that the vast majority of people would not recall now...include Street Hawk, By The Sword Divided and Dick Turpin.

To be fair to @Paul71 he knows what has been on the tv in the last 20 odd years, and to be fair to me I ain't got a foggiest ?. I just named a program that I liked when we moved over here and assumed that it had run it's course.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

A few years ago I saw an episode of Bread on some repeats channel. God it was awful. They had a laughter track as there was no way of knowing a joke had been made.

Also saw an old episode of Bergerac. I remember it been glamourous, with his cool car and his hot lady. Was about as sexy as Last of the Summer Wine.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

A few years ago I saw an episode of Bread on some repeats channel. God it was awful. They had a laughter track as there was no way of knowing a joke had been made.

Also saw an old episode of Bergerac. I remember it been glamourous, with his cool car and his hot lady. Was about as sexy as Last of the Summer Wine.

Bread i would guess that was one of @MuespachRam favourites.  Never understood why a comedy about Liverpool dole cheats was so successful

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2018 at 11:49, Jimbo Ram said:

Was going through some of my old DVD's and came across the 2 tv series of 'Early Doors'. A superb comedy drama that initially aired late in the evening on BBC 2 and then had a late slot on BBC 1. Not well known, but brilliantly written. Set in a pub up north it had a great cast and was co-written by Craig Cash who also starred in it. Very much character-based, you had to get to know them, it had the ability like Only Fools did to make you laugh out loud one minute and bring a lump to your throat the next. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Doors

What are your hidden tv gems?

I've got tickets for the stage show next month. 

Archived