v Leeds Utd (H) Match Thread

rynny

The most difficult decision for Frank will be deciding who plays in the midfield three and I'd be surprised if he settles on a midfield three any time soon. The balance certainly didn't look quite right on Friday.

Mount is a shoe-in but, aside from him, I think the other two places are up for grabs moving forward. Ledley and Bryson didn't cover themselves in glory on Friday and personally I don't think Bryson and Mount can play in the same midfield unless we are in flat track bully mode.

If Friday night is any indication, we are going to struggle with that midfield away from home. It will be too lightweight and leave us defensively exposed, because Bryson and Mount seem most comfortable in the opposition's half. Both players want to be up the pitch and receiving the ball in attacking areas or getting on the end of things. In essence, it should be two players vying for one position.

The other question marks over this team will be the front three. Nugent doesn't look like a good fit and Wilson and Lawrence seem too similar. 

That said, it's only been one game and Frank will probably look at the likes of Ledley, Bryson, Wilson and Nugent and think they deserve more chances, especially to see if we look different at home.

The one introduction I'd like to see though above all is Jozefzoon in for Wilson. I think with Lawrence and Wilson on either flank, we become a bit too predictable and one-paced. Jozefzoon offers something a touch more explosive and a touch more direct.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be difficult next week. Leeds were the standout performance of the weekend. Outstanding, any team would’ve struggled to cope with them in that mood. However we’ve seen these sort of Leeds performances before under Garry Monk but they fell away, blighted by inconsistency and a soft underbelly especially away from home. Could well be a case of which Leeds will turn up, or can their talismanic legend of a manager get those performances week in week out? If so, the whole league will have problems.

6 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Would play Huddlestone if you want to beat the press he has the passing game to slip it into the space behind  it and Mount finds space in midfield easily reminds me of the first time I saw a young Beckham the way he just can take just a couple of steps and he is free.

Agree Jozefoon for Wilson, and also Marriott for Nuge gives us blistering pace in behind for again Hudd,' s  passing.However you have to take in the fact of the penalties fee for Wilson not playing that Liverpool put in their loan's and the transfer window still being open so we could have other options too.

Some crazy talk on here that should have been moved into the various threads on the football forum that were covering dirty Leeds against Stoke.

We should hope and expect to win every home game. Pride Park must become a fortress. I for one can't wait for this one. Plus they're not fit enough to play their press (three players collapsed with cramp today) and we'll have had two extra days of recovery and training. Against Reading we went behind and it was a motivator. This team is fired up on a mission to go to the top of the league and, for once, stay there. We have character. All the players want to play well for Frank - who wouldn't? 

Cheered on by a raucous Pride Park crowd, we need to seize the day and destroy the dirty Yorkshire scum. This isn't a Rowett anti-football team that will always lose against a good footballing side. This may indeed be a work in progress, but that progress is towards an effervescent attacking team that will test the Leeds defence and find them wanting. 

Yes Leeds will be buzzing from a decent win but we will be buzzing more by coming from behind and grabbing a deserved win with the final kick (or header) in the last minute of injury time. We are Derby. We are unstoppable! 

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Why did we sign him if he isn't fit? The season started on Friday not mid October. Leeds are certainly fit!

He should be good for us once he get fit enough to start, but apparently his pre season was affected by his transfer negotiations so it wouldn't surprise me if the first start he makes for us is  against millwall.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Could be difficult next week. Leeds were the standout performance of the weekend. Outstanding, any team would’ve struggled to cope with them in that mood. However we’ve seen these sort of Leeds performances before under Garry Monk but they fell away, blighted by inconsistency and a soft underbelly especially away from home. Could well be a case of which Leeds will turn up, or can their talismanic legend of a manager get those performances week in week out? If so, the whole league will have problems.

You know....we are just missing a couple of elements to make us properly click as a 4-3-3

How far is Martin away from starting?

#justsaying

3 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Derby  2 -  0  Leeds,

fRgs     Bryson

The first half at Reading is out of our system now, gone forever.

I certainly hope so. They have to find more positive ways of distributing from the back. Leeds will eat us alive if we play in the same ponderous, hesitant fashion. The pace of distribution has to be much quicker. Their forwards will tire if they are chasing shadows. Likewise their fullbacks aren't great defensively and need to be pinned back. Douglas might be good at set pieces but he gave a penalty away yesterday and didn't seem to be at it defensively.

9 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Not even going to attempt to name the ideal first 11, we've got that many ins and out possible that we can only really be sure that Carson will start. 

Don't think any new new signings will go straight in.

Same 11 for me, although maybe Marriot for Nuge.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't think any new new signings will go straight in.

Same 11 for me, although maybe Marriot for Nuge.

Think depending on Ledley's fitness (came off with hamstring I think?) then Evans might start. Other than that I think you're right there. 

Archived