v Leeds Utd (H) Match Thread

rynny

14 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

One specific example: whenever Derby got a free kick, their players ran to the ball and stood directly in front of it. Every time. They must have been coached to do it. It stinks. Hate it. 

Why do referees allow this to happen? A simple rule change would allow the fouled side to properly gain advantage.
1) They can take the kick as soon as they like, not when the referee has decided.
2) If they take the freekick and the ball hits an opposition player within 10 yards of the freekick’s position, they get the opportunity to move the ball 10 yards forward and have another go.
3) Repeat until they’re close enough to have a shot on goal!

That would encourage defending players to back off a little more quickly and genuinely give the advantage to the fouled side.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Cheers mate.

I don't like to bash Keogh. I really don't. He's been a good servant and has given everything.

But for me he should have gone 2 seasons ago. He's just not good enough in any capacity anymore.

It was Adrian Durham who tweeted 2 or 3 seasons ago that Derby will not get promoted with Keogh and he's right.

Adrian Durham said Ronaldo isn’t good enough to get into any of the top 6 premier league teams, despite  Ronaldo winning 4 of the last 5 champions leagues. I wouldn’t usually take his opinion too seriously because he comes out with ridiculous statements to get reactions. But yeah I think he’s right about Keogh in this situation. I don’t mind keeping Keogh as a back up instead of Pearce but he shouldn’t be the main starter anymore for me.

41 minutes ago, ck- said:

Ramage doesn’t have the intelligence or insight to be a commentator.

I’d rather not have an “Expert opinion” if they offer no insight whatsoever and just resort to midless cliches. You can understand why so few players make good managers - the skillset is comletely different, and Ramage demonstrates that to a T. Having said that, he wasn’t as good a player as he remembers himself being either!

I thought his summary of the game after Lampard's interview was spot on.

Craig may or may not be 'intelligent' in a conventional sense but he does know football.

And he has achieved more in the game than most on here. I suspect there is a snobbery directed towards him that does few any credit.

(I am not related to him btw... ?)

48 minutes ago, ck- said:

Ramage doesn’t have the intelligence or insight to be a commentator.

I’d rather not have an “Expert opinion” if they offer no insight whatsoever and just resort to midless cliches. You can understand why so few players make good managers - the skillset is comletely different, and Ramage demonstrates that to a T. Having said that, he wasn’t as good a player as he remembers himself being either!

10/10

16 hours ago, rynny said:

Will you give it a bloody rest. It is getting beyond boring now Bris. We get it, you don't like Lawrence. 

Bit of jealousy of young Tom?  It's terribly hard being 24, good looking, impossibly white teeth and earning in a week what average earners get in a year.  

Have just forced myself to watch the game on telly. Reflections:

Not as bad as some making out.

Wilson seems to be weak defending and picking up players causing problems further back.

Mount trying to support Waghorn and join in the press but others not doing their bit so easily bypassed and gaps behind

Tomori and Davies will be class if happens

Lowe loses ball in dangerous positions (as does Keogh)

Midfield needs a rethink - needs a link player (Butterfield!!?)

Leeds were good but a more defensive minded team might find them out on the break. Stop Sainz and they might be pretty ordinary.

Generally I think there is plenty to be positive about.

4 minutes ago, clough08 said:

Have just forced myself to watch the game on telly. Reflections:

Not as bad as some making out.

Wilson seems to be weak defending and picking up players causing problems further back.

Mount trying to support Waghorn and join in the press but others not doing their bit so easily bypassed and gaps behind

Tomori and Davies will be class if happens

Lowe loses ball in dangerous positions (as does Keogh)

Midfield needs a rethink - needs a link player (Butterfield!!?)

Leeds were good but a more defensive minded team might find them out on the break. Stop Sainz and they might be pretty ordinary.

Generally I think there is plenty to be positive about.

What are the positives from yesterday?

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Watched his interviews on Sky and on Rams TV. Lampard was absolutely seething 

Yes he was wasn’t he .. had that little twitch of almost disgust with his mouth ? kept trying to keep it fixed but he couldn’t.

for me this is a learning curve. Disappointed of course but Leeds have some good players and played as a fully formed team working in concert.

At this stage we looked to be what we are. A bunch of individuals getting to know each other.

I think we miss Hudds more than anything else. When he came on against Soton we looked so much more glued together, but that is what class and experience does. Hope he’s back soon. 

On the positive side 

Bryson really is back to his best, even in a disjointed midfield he looked driven and assured

Tomori got better as the game went on and will be a huge asset once the right central pairing has been worked out.

FloJo .. will be fantastic too. There have been signs whenever he has come on that he can sow mayhem on the flanks. There is nothing like running at your man to disrupt an opponents team shape.

All the front men looked lively and dangerous when given all to rare contact with the ball. There are goals aplenty in this team.

Negatives

I agree that Ledley doesn’t seem to understand his instructions and as usual with Keogh when he is unsure of his central partner he tries to take on everyone’s job which makes him look vulnerable. With RK it isn’t about ability it’s about personal physiology. He is a good player but only when he feels comfortable with those around him. Lowe is going to be a great player but his defensive intelligence is showing typical youthful inexperience, he does look like a great left winger though ?

Standing back for a moment and acknowledging that Leeds played well, everything is fine margins. If even some of the tricky stuff we tried to play had come off we could well have been looking at a 4-4 goal fest.

in a sense I am glad we have got this one out of the way. Frank and Jody will have learned a lot and the players have had 90 minutes together and are mostly young enough to keep their heads up and get ready to fight again. 

The Midfield 3 needs changing for me. Bryson needs to be stronger too many times yesterday he was out jumped and out muscled - Ledley is nowhere near good enough worst player on pitch by a mile - mount is trying to link the play up but problems further back are affecting him - also Lowe is NOT good enough for us, Malone in at Millwall - and Davies and Tomori partnership for me. I'm not sure if Wisdom is a FL player, far too defensive and poor on the ball. Probably see another CM and RB in. However Keogh could do a job at RB he's okay at defending and isn't afraid to attack and put a ball in 

After the game I just wondered why FL has chosen such a inexperienced team.

Wilson was at fault from 2 of Leeds goals and needs to get sharper and to be replaced by Bennett, Thomas or Jozedzoon. Time will come - but now it's to early now.

To choose Tomori instead of Pearce was a fault, because Keogh needs to know the player next to him much better. Wisdom would have been a lot better choice and then to put Bogle in as right back. Tomori is a good player but he was introduced much to fast. 

FL has chosen Lowe instead of Forsyth just because of some few games where Lowe has been good in 1 half.

Every time I have seen Forsyth his has been much better and secure in defence, but maybe Forsyth wasn't quite ready to play yesterday, but then why was he a subb. ?

Callum McDonald has played there also and did quite well too.

Malone or Forsyth will for sure play as leftback vs Oldham.

Ledley isn't the right player for us as holding midfielder  - he needs to be sold.

Place Evans or even Max Bird there if Thorne isn't ready to play yet. But for sure give Thorne the place as soon as it's possible.

My team vs Oldham would be:

Carson

Bogle

Forsyth

Wisdom

Pearce

Evans

Bryson

Bennett

Lawrence

Waghorn

Marriott.

FL will receive a lot of problems and defeats if he continues to choose too many young players at the same time to early.

I'm honestly on back on yesterday's play a little unsecure about FL ability to get the right blend of the 11/18 - but in the long run I'm sure we got the right man for the job.

Last night was very disappointing, it was.  We all just have to be patient regardless of how painful it might be.  We have a new manager, in every sense of the word, a new back room staff and a few new players, all these need to gel together and more importantly be given time.  I for one am fully prepared to give the new regime all the time it needs to get us where we all want our great club to be.  Frank's post match interview was very telling.  You could tell that he was fuming, but more importantly for me, he didn't make any pathetic excuses, not like a certain snake type bloke we all know.  Even if Rowett had not jumped ship, who's to say that the result would not have been the same.  As I have said, I am willing to give Frank and his team the time, please can I ask that all true Rams fans do the same.  Put last night behind us, move on to the next game.....COYR!

Well I'm in for a fun Monday morning. After a week taking the mickey out of Leeds fans anointing themselves league champions, they then smash us in our backyard to prove they might finally have got a side to get out of this league.

I'm actually not too concerned with most of the team - you can see the talent of Mount, Tomori  (who I thought looked excellent in patches), Lawrence et al. Unfortunately we look like a team of strangers & the midfield mix isn't right as yet - until we solve that problem, we won't be winning many matches at all. Ledley either needs to be disciplined to sit in front of the back 4 or not be in the team - he offers very little elsewhere & I've no idea why he's been allowed to drift like he did against both Reading & Leeds. 

Whilst Wilson & Lawrence haven't been that great from open play (as yet), I do think the lack of a solid midfield behind them isn't helping. You have to build a platform for your wingers to try things or else they're going to be terrified that losing the ball will mean the opposition will break & expose your back 4. That in turn will bring Waghorn into play - who got very little quality into him yesterday.

In a perverse way, I think yesterday may actually do us some good in the long run. The last minute winner at Reading masked what was also an insipid performance but Leeds brutally highlighted how far behind the better teams in this league we are. I fully anticipate a changed approach for Millwall.

Just one or two things to moan about, why start Waghorn having only just joined on the Wednesday. It was obvious he as not had enough time to get to know the rest of the team. I would have started either Bennett or Marriott. Why, when we attack does all three midfielders go forward leaving us with no cover when we lose possession. We need a DCM, perhaps Evans is the answer. Overall and looking at the bigger picture. Frank as brought in some good players and having 9 new faces in the squad it will take possibly 4 weeks to all buy in to his style of how he wants us to play. Its a shame that this Leeds fixture came to early for us. The up and coming next matches for the Rams are going to a lot easier than the Leeds match.

We can all come on here and harp on about what we would do and what we wouldn’t do, lots of mixed barrel of emotions after last nights defeat and rightly so. Given the game at 2-1 Derby was pressing and playing better football and if we had made it 2-2 maybe things may of be different. It’s gonna take a long time, systems and starting 11’s before we find what’s best suited and bringing in 9 new players they all need to gel. Yes some of the deadwood is still at Derby but at least they’re not getting their chance in the first 11 (apart from a couple) still yet to see what Evans and Marriott have to offer us as I think these could be key players alongside Huddlestone and Pearce this season. Let’s not panic in Frank we trust 

I think when it matters, and we're under the pump, Keogh loses his head.

It's taken me 5 years or more to reach this conclusion, and I take no pleasure from it, but it's no use being great in 90% of games if you consistently crumble when it really matters.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Saw some of the game though 

It is disappointing to see Derby beaten comprehensively by Leeds -a side which finished in 14th place last season with largely the same players . It was also disappointing that the players hadn't taken on board the lessons learned at Reading. I hope the game at Oldham will be an opportunity to take on board Lampard's instructions and play some fluent, attractive football.

Archived