v Leeds Utd (H) Match Thread

rynny

And that is why Guardiola thinks Biesla is one of the best coaches around, he will probably take Leeds up. 

Not a great day, we were all over the place at times, midfield balance was off. Leeds were very good, technically, and physically, bossed the midfield. 

Learning curve for frank, I am not going to criticise him, we were beaten by the better side, that's football. 

Carson - some good saves, distribution a bit off

wisdom - quite poor

keogh - could Pearce do any worse, liability without davies.  

tomori - would look better with Davies beside him, looked shaky imo

lowe - I rate him, however today he looked league 1 standard.

bryson - off it, game passed him by

mount - should of scored, our bright spark 

Ledley - horror show, was all over the place, after a great pre season. 

Wilson - showed glimpses, can see his talent, works hard

lawrence, Great goal, greedy player, doesn't work hard enough imo

waghorn - not a good debut, tough for him, we didn't need him, i hope he proves me wrong. 

Subs

Johnson - much better than Ledley, not what we need though. 

Josefzoon - looks a threat, hopefully starts agaisnt Oldham.

bennett - worked hard, would have him over Lawrence every week.

Its still early days, however I don't want to see us that open again. 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time a Leeds player got the ball, he had 4/5 choices to pass to, when our defence got the ball

they had to pass to each other, or try and bring the ball into midfield themselves, and if they did find

a pass, then the player was closed down immediately, and they got the ball straight back. This was not

Keogh's fault, he shouldn't end up being the scapegoat for losing to a team who had all the answers.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. You cannot play Ledley in a midfield 3 that is expected to rotate. He either needs to sit and protect the back 4 or needs replacing.  No pace, out of position all the time, easily bypassed. 

If the full backs are going to be so far up the field and the CB’s so wide the midfield needs to drop deeper to pick up the balm or drop in when we lose the ball.

lowe got exposed AGAIN for a back post header. Looks like he needs replacing. Ledley needs replacing. Balance needs sorting in midfield as it’s really not right. 

Most importantly Frank needs to decide if he wants the deeper midfielder to sit or if he wants it to roatate. If it’s the latter he definitely needs different players.

tactical chaos tonight. Entertaining but a total mess.

20 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Reads like a keogh bashing. Richard Keogh was not the reason we lost 4-1

looked like a fledgling side, learnt a lesson by a well drilled championship side.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!! Frank has brought in 9 players !!! Most didn’t play. Remember last seasons start?    And where we were at Christmas?

Did Richard Keogh lose posession more than on one occasion ? 

Did id Richard Keogh start a negative footballing aspect by just looking at Carson? 

All players played  awfully but after so many years you can contemplate  this blokes mistakes? 

7 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Every time a Leeds player got the ball, he had 4/5 choices to pass to, when our defence got the ball

they had to pass to each other, or try and bring the ball into midfield themselves, and if they did find

a pass, then the player was closed down immediately, and they got the ball straight back. This was not

Keogh's fault, he shouldn't end up being the scapegoat for losing to a team who had all the answers.

Spot on I said at the game every time Leeds had the ball they had options yet we had either  a tricky pass or had to beat a man,they looked much better than us apart from a 10 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half.

As daft as it sounds I dont actually think we were that bad. Leeds were just class looked like they were going to do damage everytime they went forward

if they play like that all season they will win the league 

positives wilson looked threatening. We created 2-3 chances at 1-1 we should have burief & the chelsea centre back despite the scoreline played well. I think we’ll get better 

I agree with the above. We not totally overrun it's just that final bit where we were up against a well organised Leeds defence. First half thought both teams were evenly matched. That 3rd goal killed us off. Not a good debut from Waghorn. Did not really do anything. Our defence is shockingly bad and Leeds took their chances well.

Carson - nothing to complain about 

Wisdom - not good not bad - nothing going forward 

Keogh - much better but again trying to do everyone’s job 

Timori - decent debut but caught out of position several times and will fit in across the back line 

lowe - needs to learn how to play in midfield because he is no defender and never will be

ledley - game passed him by 

Bryson - lots of energy unlike many others

mount - some decent moments but we need more

wilson - he is a good player but didn’t show it

waghorn - I saw nothing that Chris Martin couldn’t do and I expect him to move sideways a bit 

Lawrence- scored a free kick which the keeper should have saved but basically played like a fairy 

subs - johnson - brought on to tackle the odd person 

joflo- looked ok in a lost cause 

Bennett - nothing to work with 

Game - leeds played decent but not fantastic but we were disjointed and plenty were missing - malone will get his chance but we look like we still need Forsyth and there’s a place for many who can perform correctly 

7 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Did Richard Keogh lose posession more than on one occasion ? 

Did id Richard Keogh start a negative footballing aspect by just looking at Carson? 

All players played  awfully but after so many years you can contemplate  this blokes mistakes? 

I didn't think he had many options to be fair,   sideways, Carson or hoofball,. or try to thread the ball through

the eye of a needle. Everyone had been told to cut out the passing along the backline, but if nobody is

available then it breaks down very quickly.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Carson - nothing to complain about 

Wisdom - not good not bad - nothing going forward 

Keogh - much better but again trying to do everyone’s job 

Timori - decent debut but caught out of position several times and will fit in across the back line 

lowe - needs to learn how to play in midfield because he is no defender and never will be

ledley - game passed him by 

Bryson - lots of energy unlike many others

mount - some decent moments but we need more

wilson - he is a good player but didn’t show it

waghorn - I saw nothing that Chris Martin couldn’t do and I expect him to move sideways a bit 

Lawrence- scored a free kick which the keeper should have saved but basically played like a fairy 

subs - johnson - brought on to tackle the odd person 

joflo- looked ok in a lost cause 

Bennett - nothing to work with 

Game - leeds played decent but not fantastic but we were disjointed and plenty were missing - malone will get his chance but we look like we still need Forsyth and there’s a place for many who can perform correctly 

Well you haven’t a clue what you’re on about pal. 

53 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

wasnt exactly given quality service into him was he?

majority were launched from Carson’s boot after we passed it around at the back, got pressed , ran out of options and gave it back to Carson to finally launch.

oh ... and he had big Liam cooper up his ass 

when the ball was played into him with any basic level of quality I thought he did ok 

He had very poor service and he definitely struggled with cooper.

Here's hoping,along with the rest of this very new squad that lampard will get them all up to speed and flowing soon as 

I've every confidence in that happening and it's still better than that rowett rammel!

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I was watching the game where Derby bossed the second half... Only to concede to the first leeds attack of the second half and after that we were chasing the game. Could easily have gone the other way oif mount and co had finished as clinically as the leeds forwards . 

There re is no way that 4-1 or 5-2 would have been a fair reflection, but certainly a lesson for lampard.. The midfield balance wasn't right at the start . Without huddle stone we have to have a plan b , and we did t seem to have one today or against reading.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I was watching the game where Derby bossed the second half... Only to concede to the first leeds attack of the second half and after that we were chasing the game. Could easily have gone the other way oif mount and co had finished as clinically as the leeds forwards . 

There re is no way that 4-1 or 5-2 would have been a fair reflection, but certainly a lesson for lampard.. The midfield balance wasn't right at the start . Without huddle stone we have to have a plan b , and we did t seem to have one today or against reading.

I think that proves you were watching a different game. I really don't know how you can say we "bossed" the second half. Even if we had bossed it, we still didn't create 5 good goal scoring chances. If you're counting every time we created a slim opportunity in or around the penalty area then you'd have to say something like 5:10 to Leeds.

Leeds scored 4, missed another couple of very good chances and, if they'd needed to could probably have moved back up a gear when it was 4:1.

As much as it pains me to say it, I really don't think the result flattered Leeds.

As you say the midfield balance wasn't right and we paid the price especially when you add in some weak defending and 2 or 3 outstanding players for Leeds. However, as I say, I'm not slitting my wrist just yet. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

That says everything I need to know. Yes Weimann ran a lot but didn't actually do anything at either end of the pitch. Lawrence was no where near our worst player on the pitch today. There were easily 4 or 5 that performed worse than him. 

If there is 4 or 5 worse players than Lawrence then derby will lose every game they play 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

That says everything I need to know. Yes Weimann ran a lot but didn't actually do anything at either end of the pitch. Lawrence was no where near our worst player on the pitch today. There were easily 4 or 5 that performed worse than him. 

34 minutes ago, FunkyRam said:

Leeds will buckle in the end like they always do....lets see after a couple bad result how quickly Cellino boots Bielsa out the door

Appreciate this is the stock line that will be used by fans of other clubs up until the point - I hope - it's clear that we aren't going to buckle ?  duck knows but there's no such thing as a guarantee in football form, either in our favour or otherwise.

I will say that it would be quite a surprise if Cellino does boot Bielsa out at some point.  He'd have to buy the club back off Radrizzani first ?

43 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I saw one good cross... He did Nothing else right. was surprised not to see Marriott today .. If you don't bring on a striker when 4-1 down when do you? 

The whole thing seems very much work in progress , but despite the scoreline today I thought we played a lot better than we did against reading. 

Agree on the whole, although not sure sending someone on for their debut at 1 - 4 is going to achieve a lot. 

Get him on from the start against Oldham on an even playing field.

PistoldPete2
49 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Reads like a keogh bashing. Richard Keogh was not the reason we lost 4-1

looked like a fledgling side, learnt a lesson by a well drilled championship side.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!! Frank has brought in 9 players !!! Most didn’t play. Remember last seasons start?    And where we were at Christmas?

What did Keogh do wrong? Was he at fault for any of the goals? They weren't really defensive errors just clinical finishing I thought. Midfield was a problem first half, as it was against reading. 

Archived