v Leeds Utd (H) Match Thread

rynny

Think some of the criticism of Lowe is harsh. Sky were banging on the full backs playing high and it wasn’t working against Reading. It could be a tactical tweak required. Lowe was excellent against reading, made some more mistakes today but he will be premier league left back no doubt. I’d give him another game and if similar performance  bring in Malone, Lowe can then watch how Malone plays and then kick on again next time he’s in the team.

Midfield is the biggest issue right now. As for Tomori he’s a future star and at centre back, not full back. Him and Curtis could be formidable

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the game i was thinking about both managers, one a total rookie and the other one described by Pep G as one of the best coaches around and thought, will Frank be outdone today , the answer was clearly yes and FL will know he has a lot to learn.

The game itself reminded me of the early season  game against Wolves who could've had a hatfull at our place but only won 2-0 somehow, the gulf in class was for all to see.

Today though there was a difference and one that will serve us well as the season goes on. when we played wolves we were lame and gutless a bit like the game at molineux but today we were not gutless and kept going and tried to play football and at times we looked ok especially the start of the second half where we started getting to the ball first and as some have already mentioned if Mount had scored to make it 2-2 it might've changed the complexion of the game but maybe not the result. 

Frank is a new manager and will learn lessons along the way but I just think we as fans need to get behind him and the team as i personally thought us as fans couldve done more today.

It is early days and there may well be some ups and downs along the way but I would rather watch this than the dire crap that was served up regularly last season.

There are some comments on here about what Rowett would've done etc etc and its pathetic!! Rowett should not be mentioned anymore hes gone and good riddance, Frank is learning and is trying to get us playing good football and today although we lost i thought it was a really good game and one we will learn from as I don't think we'll meet many teams like Leeds under Bielsa this season.

My own opinion is that Ledley was woeful and looked old today and although Bryson tried his best he's probably past his best to be honest.

I also though Wisdom and Lowe were poor as was Keogh and if 3 out of you 4 defenders aren't at the races you'll have problems against anyone.

Temori was good recovering but was also not blameless for the 2nd goal

Lawrence needs to release the ball more and Mount and Wilson were shown what real football in the championship is all about and are both good enough to learn and get better.

Not a great result but going back 12 months nor was the Wolves game and yet we recovered albeit with a crap style of football and made the play offs.

We will be ok the championship is a long long season and lessons will be learned but i am confident from what Frank says that he'll put things right........COYR 

I've calmed down already. 

They're a good side. The type of side we want to be. They had the players there already and they have a manager with vast experience.

I felt they were comfortably better side but it wasn't one way traffic. I like that we didn't sit and absorb pressure. Didn't play for a point. 

It's one game. We are a work in progress. It's a wake up call for anyone getting too carried away. As usual this is an even league. We were never going to smash it from day one when we've suddenly decided to be a football team.

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Been saying it for years. And getting a fair bit of stick for it. 

That said, with my ex wife, I had people from the start saying I you're having a laugh. I didn't want to hear it. But eventually, after all the misplaced loyalty has eroded, you're left with the horrible realisation that you're a bit of a mug, and everyone is laughing at you. 

Every manager worth his salt would attack keogh. 

It's entirely academic how long you have been saying it for because he's played some monumental games for Derby. he was steller for the first half last season.

Just because he was awful today, doesn't mean 'the stick' you have been getting wasn't justified at the time. The two things are not connected.

Lampard, Rowett, Clement, Pearson and McClaren all failed to see what you clearly could.

Pffft.

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think some of the criticism of Lowe is harsh. Sky were banging on the full backs playing high and it wasn’t working against Reading. It could be a tactical tweak required. Lowe was excellent against reading, made some more mistakes today but he will be premier league left back no doubt. I’d give him another game and if similar performance  bring in Malone, Lowe can then watch how Malone plays and then kick on again next time he’s in the team.

Midfield is the biggest issue right now. As for Tomori he’s a future star and at centre back, not full back. Him and Curtis could be formidable

Lowe wasn’t excellent against Reading and he is positional sense is and has been (in his young career) sadly missing.

What Bielsa has inherited at Leeds is very similar to what McClaren inherited at Derby in 13/14. A team used to playing together in a certain style but not very good or a poor team balance without the ball. Only slight tweaks required to improve results quickly and dramatically. Not surprised Leeds have flown out the traps.

Lampard is trying to completely change the way we play with a brand new squad. It will take a lot longer 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lowe wasn’t excellent against Reading and he is positional sense is and has been (in his young career) sadly missing.

Ok i’ll concede he wasn’t excellent against Reading but I agree with Steve Nicholson’s assessment he was the best of the back 4.

Today there was good and bad, he deserves another start for me before giving Malone his chance

48 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We were much the better team at the start of the second half, and the third goal was completely against the run of play. Leeds scored 4 from 7 on target, we got 1 from 4 on target, and we also had some narrow misses but I can't remember any narrow misses by leeds.  I didn't see leeds miss Any chances at all.. The only chance they didn't score from was a worldy of a save from Carson. Were you watching on Sky TV ... Always is a different game when the sky commentators are on the case. 

Leeds were the better team, but 2-1 would have been a more fair reflection. Quite how we lost 4-1 I will never know. 

Anyway we we shouldn't be losing games like that, and frank has much work to do. 

I think you’re forgetting the point-blank header which Carson saved followed by Ayling missing from a few yards out prior to their goal.

We simply didn’t create anything aside from that Mount chance at the beginning of the 2nd half.

We weren’t bossing anything in the 2nd period. We actually played better in the 1st half. 

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Ok i’ll concede he wasn’t excellent against Reading but I agree with Steve Nicholson’s assessment he was the best of the back 4.

Today there was good and bad, he deserves another start for me before giving Malone his chance

If he’s been the best we are ducked. Cost us at least half of our goals conceded. Can’t afford to keep shipping goals from back post headers if we want to win games. 

If you can’t trust a player on the pitch it’s gonna be rather messy, like when keogh had to cover for Christie. You can’t exoect the CB to cover for a full backs lack of heading ability

I think Tomiri was our best defender - after a shaky 20 mins he settled and got into the game 

second half he stepped out with the  ball

Lowe lacked in experience / Wisdom always seems a bit confused 

Keogh I struggle with curretly

we missed Davis today 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We were much the better team at the start of the second half, and the third goal was completely against the run of play. Leeds scored 4 from 7 on target, we got 1 from 4 on target, and we also had some narrow misses but I can't remember any narrow misses by leeds.  I didn't see leeds miss Any chances at all.. The only chance they didn't score from was a worldy of a save from Carson. Were you watching on Sky TV ... Always is a different game when the sky commentators are on the case. 

Leeds were the better team, but 2-1 would have been a more fair reflection. Quite how we lost 4-1 I will never know. 

Anyway we we shouldn't be losing games like that, and frank has much work to do. 

4-1 didn't flatter them at all. It could have been 6.........

I’ve just about calmed down after that, i am deflated as all of us are but we have to put this behind us and improve, great game on Tuesday to try some of the new boys out and the bounce back in a tough away game at millwall, would like to see malone and Evans given a go at Oldham, feel a bit sorry for wags tonight never really got going tonight saw little bits of what we can expect when he’s at his best, really looking forward to Tuesday!

up the rams!!

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought tomori looked like he could be a decent full back, he's got pace and can tackle. Not good enough in the air to be a CB. 

Agree, or positonally 

that 4th goal the ball travelles a fair distance and he got caught right underneath it,

V poor that was, and pretty basic defending, a straight diagonal ball shouldn’t have cost a goal like  that 

Men against boys at times. Old Leicester type performance from them. Stronger, faster, better tackling, Premier league standard finishing. Davies would have kept them down to two goals imo. Something wrong with Keogh, maybe suffering from anxiety, about the only thing that can explain his performance. There is no point at all in playing out from the back when their attack is parked 30 metres from our goal line. Carson will get most touches at this rate. Midfielders unable to receive the ball and move it to forwards. They had watched our tactics and simply made it impossible for us to play that way. Forget it and move on. We are one point off our target, two points per game in my opinion. COYR

Had time to take stock. Yesterday they were just country miles better than us. They've not really got much of a different squad to last season. They've been coached to death by a manager who shouldn't be managing at this level. The guy is meticulous in his planning and we just couldn't deal with them at all. It reminded me of when we played Wolves at the start of last season. Only they looked better than Wolves. 

Our midfield was non existent. There was no structure to it. All of them were running around like headless chickens. We missed a calming influence on the ball. Not quite sure why Evans wasn't even on the bench. Huddlestone is key to this team. 

Wilson was pretty poor. Gave the ball away nearly everytime. Worrying thing for me with him is that he's completely one footed. So too easy to defend against. I'd like to see Jozefzoon get given a chance. 

I like Max Lowe. But he's nowhere near ready to be playing in this team. He's so nieve. Completely at fault for the first goal. Had a simple pass on which he didn't do. Gave the ball away. They break. Ledley has to go out to cover the winger running into the space vacated by Lowe. Meaning Klick had space in the middle. Lowe doesnt seem to know when to go forward and when to hold back and his defensive nievety will cost us. Can't see Lampard keeping him in the team much longer. There's a reason he didn't get in Shrewsbury's team last season. 

Ledley was poor. Couldn't deal with them at all. 

Probably get stick here as it seems if you say anything bad about Keogh then you need to have more respect for a guy that's been here 7 years etc. 

But he's a captain of a young back 4 and was outshone by a guy that has been here 3 weeks. Keogh was useless. Utterly useless. Positional sense, on the ball. Everything. I said it in pre season. He shouldn't be here anymore. We'll never get promoted with him at centre half. Never. 

For me that's not the team Lampard wants out there. The midfield performances surprise me. Something needs to happen there. Because the Reading game was similar. At times the opposition walked through it. I love Bryson and I'm glad he's back. But he needs to influence the game more other than just running around a lot. 

I think when everyone is fit. The team should be:-

Carson

Wisdom    Davies.     Tomori.     Malone

Huddlestone 

Bryson                           Mount

Jozefzoon.     Waghorn.    Lawrence 

Wouldn't be surprised to see a formation change either if the midfield carries on like that. 

I’m not going to get upset about that result. 

We were well beaten by a better & crucially settled team. 

We will get better. They will struggle to improve on that. 

Compare it to the 4-1 loss to Sunderland & don’t panic. 

Archived