v Leeds Utd (H) Match Thread

rynny

Disappointing to hear that we are so unbalanced and disorganised. I hope Frank and Jody will rise to this challenge as the warning signs were there last time out. How he resolves the midfield is key because we have plenty if weapons if we can win and keep the ball. Fascinating really.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm glad that one's over. Leeds were just far too good, that performance against us was better than anything I saw against us last season. I'd be surprised if we come up against a better collective performance over the entire season, well until we play them away from home. That's one positive to clutch on to from the game I suppose.

Another positive is Tomori. He wasn't faultless, but if he was he wouldn't be playing at this level. I thought he defended very well in the most part, he was strong, fast, mostly read the game well and did well on the ball. We created some chances, it was just slightly lacking in the final third. We had a couple of really good opportunities at 1-2, so as good as Leeds were, if we had a little more composure it could have been a completely different second half.

Like versus Reading, we were better in the second half than the first, although a large part of the second half was written off in the end as both teams seemed to consolidate as it went 1-4. Before the second half goals though, we looked like a good side and I thought we were going to get back in to it. Johnson is a much better option in that position than Ledley, we've looked more balanced in both games with Johnson in the holding role.

I think we'll naturally see a few changes for our next league game. No idea about the cup game midweek but I'd expect to see players like Evans and Marriott start and put a case forward for a starting spot. If I had to choose a starting line-up for Millwall right now, this would probably be it.

Carson

Wisdom Tomori Davies Malone

Johnson

Bryson     Mount

Wilson        Waghorn       Lawrence

It's a huge learning curve for Lampard, and a huge test to see how he and the side reacts. But we're two games in and this game isn't going to make or break the season. It's a bad day and criticism is rightfully going to be directed towards the side, but I would like to think that so early on there's an awful lot more to come from this side, and I want to give them the opportunity to do so rather than shooting them down and calling them all poo at the first given opportunity.

Tom Lawrence stats for those interested.

Dispossessed: 6 times (the most on the pitch)

Unsuccessful touches: 5 (the most on the pitch)

Pass completion rate: 66.7% (one of the worst on the pitch)

Take-ons: Zero

Tackles: Zero

Interceptions: Zero

Crap, crap, crap.

I’m not focusing on one player. But Richard Keogh please leave this club as soon as possible how many times you got caught out just messing about then trying to run back conceding pointless fouls and his distrubution is absolutely terrible.

max Lowe didn’t look comfterble at all. Centre midfield was just meh. Who actually tried to get the ball and play with it? 

2nd game of the season but, no team should be losing 4-1 at home. 

Well that was ****ing dreadful (will from Inbetweeners)

But seriously though, it's going to take some time to get this team ticking. 

Defence to midfield was so bad

Keogh and lowe were a liability, Ledley was also awful.

Tactically it doesn't look right yet... Frank WILL get it right 

Not going to over-react to this result - it's going to take time and Leeds will be up there come the end of season. Frank will learn more from this and will respond to it. Think he already knows that Ledley probably not the man for the job hence Evans purchase. I'm going to look at the positives - thought Tomori looked good and Josefzoon poses a threat, and Mount will be a stand-out player this year.

The system, and specifically the midfield, was diabolical. 

The flexibility of the midfield leaves us without any pivot to control a game. 

The wingers being asked to drift into the half-spaces leaves them marked, the #8s without anything to do and their thumb up their arse and, with a lack of a defined #6, the defence nobody to pass to.

Waghorn didn’t show for the ball once. 

Leeds system killed us off the ball, I can accept that, it’s happens but our own system killed us on the ball. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Crap, crap, crap.

He’s not a winger, he’s not crap, he’s a number 10. We’ll never see the best of him where he is at the moment.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bizarre game. Could have been 5-5 draw. Leeds very clinical finishing Derby not t.

What game were you wathcing buddy? 4-1 arguably flattered Derby. Leeds missed some other great chances before taking the foot off the pedal for the last 15-20 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why does Lawrence get a 6? He was absolutely terrible.

dribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribble

Greedy, blind, prancing about and only passes when forced too. Good pre season and now he’s back to thinking he Ronaldo again. 

The cup game will probably have a completely different 11, a great opportunity for players to stake their claim for massively underperforming positions today.

Keogh all over the place, Max Lowe can't jump, midfield is a vacuum and little to no cohesion in the final 3rd. 

Obviously, the scoreline is somewhat upsetting but really I'm not all that bothered.

Leeds are one of the best teams in the division (as long as they can keep up that intensity), and we have completely reset our coaching staff (for really the first time since McClaren first left), we've brought in a lot of new blood, and we play with a lot of youth. Anyone who wasn't expecting us to be disjointed at the start of the season is delusional.

I'll start to get concerned if this glaring lack of cohesion continues much beyond week 5, but as it stands I'm not really fussed at all.

Just a shame a game as big as Leeds at home came so early.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Crap, crap, crap.

Goals: 1

Goals this season: 2

Derby players with more goals: None

Nobody was brilliant tonight. You fire these stats at us but with the most important stats, he's had a pretty good start to the season. Try not to shoot him down and make a scapegoat of him when he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch.

I don't recall seeing any comments regarding his finish tonight, or the header last week. If you're only going to post when things aren't so rosie, why bother?

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Well I'm glad that one's over. Leeds were just far too good, that performance against us was better than anything I saw against us last season. I'd be surprised if we come up against a better collective performance over the entire season, well until we play them away from home. That's one positive to clutch on to from the game I suppose.

Another positive is Tomori. He wasn't faultless, but if he was he wouldn't be playing at this level. I thought he defended very well in the most part, he was strong, fast, mostly read the game well and did well on the ball. We created some chances, it was just slightly lacking in the final third. We had a couple of really good opportunities at 1-2, so as good as Leeds were, if we had a little more composure it could have been a completely different second half.

Like versus Reading, we were better in the second half than the first, although a large part of the second half was written off in the end as both teams seemed to consolidate as it went 1-4. Before the second half goals though, we looked like a good side and I thought we were going to get back in to it. Johnson is a much better option in that position than Ledley, we've looked more balanced in both games with Johnson in the holding role.

I think we'll naturally see a few changes for our next league game. No idea about the cup game midweek but I'd expect to see players like Evans and Marriott start and put a case forward for a starting spot. If I had to choose a starting line-up for Millwall right now, this would probably be it.

Carson

Wisdom Tomori Davies Malone

Johnson

Bryson     Mount

Wilson        Waghorn       Lawrence

It's a huge learning curve for Lampard, and a huge test to see how he and the side reacts. But we're two games in and this game isn't going to make or break the season. It's a bad day and criticism is rightfully going to be directed towards the side, but I would like to think that so early on there's an awful lot more to come from this side, and I want to give them the opportunity to do so rather than shooting them down and calling them all poo at the first given opportunity.

Good post apart from the team. However can't say I've got a clue what to do with it.

Archived