Mac at QPR

Hathersage Ram

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When things aren't going your way, laugh at others' misfortune.

Always a funny moment when you see the amount of goals repeated in words, just to emphasise that the number wasn't a mistake.

West Brom 7 (seven) - 1 QPR

And somebody claimed that a 2-1 defeat to Millwall was the worst he'd ever seen us play...

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Why can’t we ever knock 7 past anyone.

Im talking about recent times not Finn bloody Harps anorl.

We mostly stop at 5 it seems. Did see us hit 6 in the friendly against Bohemians.

It's quite remarkable thinking about it that 6 was the most we conceded in a game during the 11 point season, did happen a few times mind.

Sith Happens
15 hours ago, Kernow said:

When things aren't going your way, laugh at others' misfortune.

Always a funny moment when you see the amount of goals repeated in words, just to emphasise that the number wasn't a mistake.

West Brom 7 (seven) - 1 QPR

And somebody claimed that a 2-1 defeat to Millwall was the worst he'd ever seen us play...

You seem to get that claim everytime we lose

He's the best coach the game has ever seen. Ever.

Surely a man of his talents cN turn around a club where he has to actually fix something.

He does ok when things are already built for him but outside of that he's a figure of fun.

He'll be gone in three months and he'll be a broken man speaking fluent cockerney in his interviews by the end of September.

"Knees up muvva brarn, we"re cattle trucked guvnor"

A fraud of a manager, just like Paul Clement.

The grapes are especially sour tonight.

He won the league in Holland.

Took Middlesbrough to the final

Got the Derby team playing and getting results consistently by making them believe in themselves ultimately ending up at Wembley.

Not all fraudulent activity.

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Got the Derby team playing and getting results consistently by making them believe in themselves ultimately ending up at Wembley.

Won a cup with Boro as well.

First half of his second spell with us he actually had us organised and hard to beat rather than fluid. I sometimes wonder if he tries to get his teams playing football too early in the team-building process. 

21 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

He's the best coach the game has ever seen. Ever.

Surely a man of his talents cN turn around a club where he has to actually fix something.

He does ok when things are already built for him but outside of that he's a figure of fun.

He'll be gone in three months and he'll be a broken man speaking fluent cockerney in his interviews by the end of September.

"Knees up muvva brarn, we"re cattle trucked guvnor"

A fraud of a manager, just like Paul Clement.

Yet he so quickly transformed us into serious contenders after Clough finally got sacked.

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Yet he so quickly transformed us into serious contenders after Clough finally got sacked.

Obvious that someone would come back with that and assume that I'm making it about Clough and him.

It's a bit of an open goal invitation isn't it?

You wouldn't stop to think for  moment that it's just my honest view of his ove managerial career.

He screws things up everywhere he goes eventually.

As soon as things get even semi tough he does a runner.

He's not a manager for difficult times at all. 

He walked into Derby with a decent side and squad built for him, he didn't have to do any of the hard graft, he didn't have to dramatically change things. 

No doubt he was responsible for the play off season but like I say he walked onto a club with a solid set of players who possessed and incredible team spirit and willingness to work for each other. As well as to take on board whatever it was he changed.

I find it really insulting that as soon as I post it's taken straight down to the level you chose to take that.

I've got a very good knowledge of football. It's about time some of your dropped the past and recognise that.

I'll finish by asking if you think he's capable of turning things around at QPR before he bottles the hard work again?

11 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

We were playing well under Clough, decent football. I will never understand why he couldn’t spot the weaknesses though. We couldn’t break teams down at home because we persisted with a narrow diamond and we couldn’t defend set pieces. SIX goals from set pieces conceded in our first nine league games. 

48 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Obvious that someone would come back with that and assume that I'm making it about Clough and him.

It's a bit of an open goal invitation isn't it?

You wouldn't stop to think for  moment that it's just my honest view of his ove managerial career.

He screws things up everywhere he goes eventually.

As soon as things get even semi tough he does a runner.

He's not a manager for difficult times at all. 

He walked into Derby with a decent side and squad built for him, he didn't have to do any of the hard graft, he didn't have to dramatically change things. 

No doubt he was responsible for the play off season but like I say he walked onto a club with a solid set of players who possessed and incredible team spirit and willingness to work for each other. As well as to take on board whatever it was he changed.

I find it really insulting that as soon as I post it's taken straight down to the level you chose to take that.

I've got a very good knowledge of football. It's about time some of your dropped the past and recognise that.

I'll finish by asking if you think he's capable of turning things around at QPR before he bottles the hard work again?

You said he only does well when everything is built for him. Where else did you mean other than Derby? 

I appreciate what Clough did with little to spend, he could spot the odd bargain but made quite a few poor signings too.

Mac took us to the next level though and brought a feel good factor back after what were for me some pretty miserable seasons.

To call him a fraud after his work at Boro and Twente simply isn't true.

A lot have managers have failed with England, is Capello a fraud too?

He does have his work cut out at QPR they're in a mess. It's pretty clear the aim for this season is to avoid relegation.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

Lets be honest. He was really on to reigniting his career in England when he got us to the playoff final. Then QPR come and duck it up and it's been yet another whirlwind of farcical failure since.

He's 100% at QPR to return the favour ? 

Ronnie is (largely) correct here IMO. Not in using the term fraud though.

Once the rot starts under McClaren he cannot turn it around, never has been able to, never will be. I'm being facetious, but QPR may as well get rid now. I'd say it's only going to go one way from here, but I don't suppose you can get much lower than a 7-1 drubbing, so it has to go up just a little bit!

The mood around the club was before McClaren took over here was 'fed up' but in that season Nigel Clough had assembled a good squad and a positive way of playing. He didn't exactly have to turn around an awful run of results, or deal with a bunch of players who didn't want to be here, nothing like that.

Clough set the blueprint for the 2013/14 style of play in 2010/11 when we had Kuqi in the team, but for whatever (endlessly debatable) reasons he didn't follow through with that for the next 2 seasons, and that's the problem - the feeling with him (I know Ronnie won't agree with this bit) was often that he'd simply stumbled upon a successful formula, and ultimately it'd come undone due to petty falling out, or he'd suffer a few poor results and it'd go out the window in favour of the good old tactic of trying to defend a 1-0 lead for the final 20 minutes of every match, which never really worked because he'd built a team who were awful at defending set pieces!

Can't be arsed to type any more than that, seeya.

56 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Ronnie is (largely) correct here IMO. Not in using the term fraud though.

Once the rot starts under McClaren he cannot turn it around, never has been able to, never will be. I'm being facetious, but QPR may as well get rid now. I'd say it's only going to go one way from here, but I don't suppose you can get much lower than a 7-1 drubbing, so it has to go up just a little bit!

The mood around the club was before McClaren took over here was 'fed up' but in that season Nigel Clough had assembled a good squad and a positive way of playing. He didn't exactly have to turn around an awful run of results, or deal with a bunch of players who didn't want to be here, nothing like that.

Clough set the blueprint for the 2013/14 style of play in 2010/11 when we had Kuqi in the team, but for whatever (endlessly debatable) reasons he didn't follow through with that for the next 2 seasons, and that's the problem - the feeling with him (I know Ronnie won't agree with this bit) was often that he'd simply stumbled upon a successful formula, and ultimately it'd come undone due to petty falling out, or he'd suffer a few poor results and it'd go out the window in favour of the good old tactic of trying to defend a 1-0 lead for the final 20 minutes of every match, which never really worked because he'd built a team who were awful at defending set pieces!

Can't be arsed to type any more than that, seeya.

Fraud was harsh.

I've just seen him collapse three or four times and when he does it he does it spectacularly.

Whether I disagree or not on Nige, I can't really argue because to be fair results showed that you are at least partly right.

As I said though, this was never about the difference between Clough and Mac just my observations on how he behaves as a person and as a manager at the first sign of difficulty.

He doesn't have the mental strength to get hold of a team who have 'gone'

People saying he was successful at Derby, I'll get slaughtered for saying this but you're still in the championship and I can't speak for everyone but losing at Wembley no matter how harshly isn't success.

His courting of Newcastle (which still gets swept under the carpet around here would have seen him driven out of town anywhere else)

I don't like his ethics I dont like his lack of loyalty to those around him and o don't think he's anywhere near the level some portray him as, for me he's another Michael Appleton, Paul clement type a coach that gets lauded as the next bright thing then spends twenty years living off that.

He'll either take them down marooned or he'll get fired trying.

13 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

You said he only does well when everything is built for him. Where else did you mean other than Derby? 

I appreciate what Clough did with little to spend, he could spot the odd bargain but made quite a few poor signings too.

Mac took us to the next level though and brought a feel good factor back after what were for me some pretty miserable seasons.

To call him a fraud after his work at Boro and Twente simply isn't true.

A lot have managers have failed with England, is Capello a fraud too?

He does have his work cut out at QPR they're in a mess. It's pretty clear the aim for this season is to avoid relegation.

He's the only man to have failed to take England to a major tournament in the past 20 years. Yes, Capello, Eriksson, Hodgson et al ultimately 'failed' but only in the sense of not winning anything. McClaren's failure was as spectacularly bad as Graham Taylor's stint but with the damning caveat that he had much better players at his disposal than Taylor had.

There's also the small matter of his failures at Forest, Newcastle, Wolfsburg & second time at Twente. His record at Derby really does blind people to how ordinary a manager he is - he inherited a fantastic situation in & did well - doesn't make him anything other than fortunate.

As @ronnieronalde rightly says, his only successes have been in situations where it was set up for him. Twente finished 4th & in the Champions League the year before he arrived, Middlesborough had comfortably finished Premiership midtable in each of the 3 seasons before McClaren arrived in 2001 (largely off the back of substantial investment from Steve Gibson) - he then continued the trend of midtable finishes but of course added a League Cup

Archived