Sign in to follow this  
David

Burton Albion Watch 18/19

On your question that I missed answering.

The result was embarrassing, the defending at times embarrassing but...

First thirty very solid defensively got the goal and should have had another

Their first goal young Ben fox (19 I think) gave it away cheaply in midfield and they ran at us with pace. Second was a quality freekick from a no foul bit a stupid lunge.

Twenty minutes of us really knocking on their door but not scoring, then they had a ten minute spell where they got the third and could have had two or three more.

We play some very good stuff in spells bit it's no good doing that from two goals behind, we've got to stop giving goals away.

Gillingham surprised me with how big and physically strong they were. Their front three were good 

Edited by ronnieronalde
One eyed spelling

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

On your question that I missed answering.

The result was embarrassing, the defending at times embarrassing but...

First thirty very solid defensively got the goal and should have had another

Their first goal young Ben fox (19 I think) gave it away cheaply in midfield and they ran at us with pace. Second was a quality freekick from a no foul bit a stupid lunge.

Twenty minutes of us really knocking on their door but not scoring, then they had a ten minute spell where they got the third and could have had two or three more.

We play some very good stuff in spells bit it's no good doing that from two goals behind, we've got to stop giving goals away.

Gillingham surprised me with how big and physically strong they were. Their front three were good 

Is that 2 goals for Boyce now? 

Rumours that Aberdeen might try to tempt him North before the end of August. There's a lot of pressure from the fans to spend £ and Boyce or Moult are favourites. 

Templeton? He's not the ex Hearts player is he? 

23 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Is that 2 goals for Boyce now? 

Rumours that Aberdeen might try to tempt him North before the end of August. There's a lot of pressure from the fans to spend £ and Boyce or Moult are favourites. 

Templeton? He's not the ex Hearts player is he? 

Yes it's that Templeton.

He looks good, I watched a lot of his highlights once we signed him and he's got a knack of making late runs into the box, which suits Nigel perfectly

He'll link up really well with Boyce, he's very clever around the box and I've got high hopes for him as long as he gets fully fit, he's a week or so behind and to be honest I don't know why. I hope he's not another Chris Maguire, bags of talent but not prepared to put the hard yards in

Boyce has been brilliant, his hold up play superb, his work rate immense and he's got his two goals.

It's certainly not his fault we've lost two games.

I've heard of the Aberdeen link I don't know how much you know about their budget mate but my feeling they couldn't afford him

I think if we were going to lose him it would have been to a championship club. 

Of course I'll be nervous as hell until the 31st has been and gone.

Hell get 15 before Christmas and then we'll have to battle to keep him after January

Hopefully we'll be top six and he'll want to hang around.

He is MUCH too good to be playing league one and it breaks my heart that we didn't have him fully fit last season

We'd have been well clear of bottom three.

@ronnieronalde

Cheers, you've pretty much nailed Templeton on the head. Loads of talent when he was young but made a terrible career choice by going to Rangers and wasted 2 season's. He's never really recovered, but if Nigel can get him to knuckle down then there's an exciting player in there. Good comparison with McGuire.

Boyce: Aberdeen started a membership scheme pre season and said any money raised would be spent on transfers. As of yet, the club has raised circa £1m and spent zero. Theres pressure from the fans to spend before 31st. Mciness said last night he has 2 irons in the fire and the obvious gap in the squad is a lack of a goalscorer.  

To be honest, I dont think we would spend £1m on a player, and it doesnt sound like Boyce fancies Scotland again, unless Celtic comes calling, which they wont. 

All the best for the coming season 👍

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Hello.

Don’t tell me, Cloughies cloggers have won a game 😀

Anyway, as I was saying

On 11/08/2018 at 21:56, Zag zig said:

Reckon best thing for Burton is Boyce seems to be hitting the net, him being fit this year is a new signing in itself. Got to sort that defence though and Bywater, first choice? Hmmm.

Changed the defence a bit from opening game?

On 18/08/2018 at 20:25, Zag zig said:

Don’t tell me, Cloughies cloggers have won a game 😀

Anyway, as I was saying

Changed the defence a bit from opening game?

TWO games.

Only change to the defence from the opening day is we lost McCrory to injury so have moved Ben Turner out to left back from centre half 

Buxton and Bywater started both wins, a clean sheet against Donnie who were the top scorers going into the game.

It's frightening how thin our sqaud is.

Only five on the bench on Saturday and then we lost Joe Sbarra from he first eleven to injury.

Could be down to fourteen players for the game against Bradford on Tuesday.

It's got so bad in terms of incomings that Nigel has offered Bent a play when you aren't working on the TV deal.

Literally show up when you feel like it.

We've got a good first thirteen but we are in all kinds of trouble squad size and budget wise 

We haven't got a pot to pee in.

Need a league cup miracle run.

Edited by ronnieronalde

14 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come? £2,000,000 profit from 16/17, £2,000,000 from Jackson Irvine, presumably a profit last season - I was expecting Burton to be comfortable 

I honestly don't know.

Whether it's gone or whether we can't spend it due to ffp.

So much of our income has gone, TV, corporate, sponsorship, season tickets and gates all well down on expectations.

We are losing out on loan players as we can't match the wages contributions other clubs can.

19 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come? £2,000,000 profit from 16/17, £2,000,000 from Jackson Irvine, presumably a profit last season - I was expecting Burton to be comfortable 

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

I honestly don't know.

Whether it's gone or whether we can't spend it due to ffp.

So much of our income has gone, TV, corporate, sponsorship, season tickets and gates all well down on expectations.

We are losing out on loan players as we can't match the wages contributions other clubs can.

I thought Irvine was more like 1.25 million. By the time agents have taken their cut maybe 3/4 million left.

Burton dont generate anything in ticket sales to shout about. Must have paid some of Darren bents wages and so on.

Totally get ben robinson refusing to put burton into debt. 

Mid table this season would be good.

You will very rarely find the words ‘Nigel Clough’ and ‘instant success’ used in the same sentence but unfortunately fans are so demanding these days.

Not a jibe, but how many promotions does Clough have when being in charge of a team for an entire camapign, from the first game until the last? Isn’t it just one from about 20 seasons?

Are Burton fans patient enough to allow Clough to stay there even if they don’t fight for League One promotion? Can they sustain themselves being a League One club for years like a Wallsall or Gillingham?

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

You will very rarely find the words ‘Nigel Clough’ and ‘instant success’ used in the same sentence but unfortunately fans are so demanding these days.

Not a jibe, but how many promotions does Clough have when being in charge of a team for an entire camapign, from the first game until the last? Isn’t it just one from about 20 seasons?

Are Burton fans patient enough to allow Clough to stay there even if they don’t fight for League One promotion? Can they sustain themselves being a League One club for years like a Wallsall or Gillingham?

Surely sustaining themselves as a league one club would be an achievement.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought Irvine was more like 1.25 million. By the time agents have taken their cut maybe 3/4 million left.

Burton dont generate anything in ticket sales to shout about. Must have paid some of Darren bents wages and so on.

Totally get ben robinson refusing to put burton into debt. 

Mid table this season would be good.

I'd say you're closer to the mark than the 2 million often quoted Paul

I agree with Ben's approach as long as he is giving Nigel everything he can, we cant ask for more than that.

I saw Birmingham spent £2.5 million on a full back while they're in an embargo.

Someone would always bale Birmingham out

We can't go into debt at all, there isn't a queue of people prepared to put money in, it's Ben and all he is is a family business man.

He may have made himself a few quid over the last couple of seasons and who could begrudge him that really?

We've got a couple of assets player wise, it may take is something like selling Boyce I'm January and using that money to buy four players.

It would be hard to take losing him but we have to live within our means and we will always be a selling club. 

Mid table is looking like a pretty attractive offer to me with the size of the squad and the difficulty getting players in.

Apparently Donny brought nearly 1500 of the 3100 on Saturday. Burton isn't a town that is showing it has the appetite to stick with them during the so called down times.

To put it into perspective though, after the league cup game Burton will now have played former European champions Aston Villa five times in competitive games. Four of them in the league.

Fifteen-twenty years ago the biggest team we played from Birmingham was Moor Geeen!!

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'd say you're closer to the mark than the 2 million often quoted Paul

I agree with Ben's approach as long as he is giving Nigel everything he can, we cant ask for more than that.

I saw Birmingham spent £2.5 million on a full back while they're in an embargo.

Someone would always bale Birmingham out

We can't go into debt at all, there isn't a queue of people prepared to put money in, it's Ben and all he is is a family business man.

He may have made himself a few quid over the last couple of seasons and who could begrudge him that really?

We've got a couple of assets player wise, it may take is something like selling Boyce I'm January and using that money to buy four players.

It would be hard to take losing him but we have to live within our means and we will always be a selling club. 

Mid table is looking like a pretty attractive offer to me with the size of the squad and the difficulty getting players in.

Apparently Donny brought nearly 1500 of the 3100 on Saturday. Burton isn't a town that is showing it has the appetite to stick with them during the so called down times.

To put it into perspective though, after the league cup game Burton will now have played former European champions Aston Villa five times in competitive games. Four of them in the league.

Fifteen-twenty years ago the biggest team we played from Birmingham was Moor Geeen!!

Puts it in perspective. 

I personally think burton are a great example of how teams can compete in this age of ludicrous spending.

Still think them getting to and staying in the championship for two seasons was a bit like san marino making the quarters of the world cup.

If boyce had been fit all season last year reckon a third season would be on the cards.