Burton Albion Watch 18/19

David

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Hello.

Don’t tell me, Cloughies cloggers have won a game ?

Anyway, as I was saying

On 11/08/2018 at 21:56, Zag zig said:

Reckon best thing for Burton is Boyce seems to be hitting the net, him being fit this year is a new signing in itself. Got to sort that defence though and Bywater, first choice? Hmmm.

Changed the defence a bit from opening game?

On 18/08/2018 at 20:25, Zag zig said:

Don’t tell me, Cloughies cloggers have won a game ?

Anyway, as I was saying

Changed the defence a bit from opening game?

TWO games.

Only change to the defence from the opening day is we lost McCrory to injury so have moved Ben Turner out to left back from centre half 

Buxton and Bywater started both wins, a clean sheet against Donnie who were the top scorers going into the game.

It's frightening how thin our sqaud is.

Only five on the bench on Saturday and then we lost Joe Sbarra from he first eleven to injury.

Could be down to fourteen players for the game against Bradford on Tuesday.

It's got so bad in terms of incomings that Nigel has offered Bent a play when you aren't working on the TV deal.

Literally show up when you feel like it.

We've got a good first thirteen but we are in all kinds of trouble squad size and budget wise 

We haven't got a pot to pee in.

Need a league cup miracle run.

14 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come? £2,000,000 profit from 16/17, £2,000,000 from Jackson Irvine, presumably a profit last season - I was expecting Burton to be comfortable 

I honestly don't know.

Whether it's gone or whether we can't spend it due to ffp.

So much of our income has gone, TV, corporate, sponsorship, season tickets and gates all well down on expectations.

We are losing out on loan players as we can't match the wages contributions other clubs can.

Sith Happens
19 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come? £2,000,000 profit from 16/17, £2,000,000 from Jackson Irvine, presumably a profit last season - I was expecting Burton to be comfortable 

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

I honestly don't know.

Whether it's gone or whether we can't spend it due to ffp.

So much of our income has gone, TV, corporate, sponsorship, season tickets and gates all well down on expectations.

We are losing out on loan players as we can't match the wages contributions other clubs can.

I thought Irvine was more like 1.25 million. By the time agents have taken their cut maybe 3/4 million left.

Burton dont generate anything in ticket sales to shout about. Must have paid some of Darren bents wages and so on.

Totally get ben robinson refusing to put burton into debt. 

Mid table this season would be good.

You will very rarely find the words ‘Nigel Clough’ and ‘instant success’ used in the same sentence but unfortunately fans are so demanding these days.

Not a jibe, but how many promotions does Clough have when being in charge of a team for an entire camapign, from the first game until the last? Isn’t it just one from about 20 seasons?

Are Burton fans patient enough to allow Clough to stay there even if they don’t fight for League One promotion? Can they sustain themselves being a League One club for years like a Wallsall or Gillingham?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

You will very rarely find the words ‘Nigel Clough’ and ‘instant success’ used in the same sentence but unfortunately fans are so demanding these days.

Not a jibe, but how many promotions does Clough have when being in charge of a team for an entire camapign, from the first game until the last? Isn’t it just one from about 20 seasons?

Are Burton fans patient enough to allow Clough to stay there even if they don’t fight for League One promotion? Can they sustain themselves being a League One club for years like a Wallsall or Gillingham?

Surely sustaining themselves as a league one club would be an achievement.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought Irvine was more like 1.25 million. By the time agents have taken their cut maybe 3/4 million left.

Burton dont generate anything in ticket sales to shout about. Must have paid some of Darren bents wages and so on.

Totally get ben robinson refusing to put burton into debt. 

Mid table this season would be good.

I'd say you're closer to the mark than the 2 million often quoted Paul

I agree with Ben's approach as long as he is giving Nigel everything he can, we cant ask for more than that.

I saw Birmingham spent £2.5 million on a full back while they're in an embargo.

Someone would always bale Birmingham out

We can't go into debt at all, there isn't a queue of people prepared to put money in, it's Ben and all he is is a family business man.

He may have made himself a few quid over the last couple of seasons and who could begrudge him that really?

We've got a couple of assets player wise, it may take is something like selling Boyce I'm January and using that money to buy four players.

It would be hard to take losing him but we have to live within our means and we will always be a selling club. 

Mid table is looking like a pretty attractive offer to me with the size of the squad and the difficulty getting players in.

Apparently Donny brought nearly 1500 of the 3100 on Saturday. Burton isn't a town that is showing it has the appetite to stick with them during the so called down times.

To put it into perspective though, after the league cup game Burton will now have played former European champions Aston Villa five times in competitive games. Four of them in the league.

Fifteen-twenty years ago the biggest team we played from Birmingham was Moor Geeen!!

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

I agree with Ben's approach as long as he is giving Nigel everything he can, we cant ask for more than that.

We can't go into debt at all, there isn't a queue of people prepared to put money in, it's Ben and all he is is a family business man.

He may have made himself a few quid over the last couple of seasons and who could begrudge him that really?

We've got a couple of assets player wise, it may take is something like selling Boyce I'm January and using that money to buy four players.

It would be hard to take losing him but we have to live within our means and we will always be a selling club. 

Mid table is looking like a pretty attractive offer to me with the size of the squad and the difficulty getting players in.

Apparently Donny brought nearly 1500 of the 3100 on Saturday. Burton isn't a town that is showing it has the appetite to stick with them during the so called down times.

To put it into perspective though, after the league cup game Burton will now have played former European champions Aston Villa five times in competitive games. Four of them in the league.

Fifteen-twenty years ago the biggest team we played from Birmingham was Moor Geeen!!

Puts it in perspective. 

I personally think burton are a great example of how teams can compete in this age of ludicrous spending.

Still think them getting to and staying in the championship for two seasons was a bit like san marino making the quarters of the world cup.

If boyce had been fit all season last year reckon a third season would be on the cards.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Puts it in perspective. 

I personally think burton are a great example of how teams can compete in this age of ludicrous spending.

Still think them getting to and staying in the championship for two seasons was a bit like san marino making the quarters of the world cup.

If boyce had been fit all season last year reckon a third season would be on the cards.

Agree with all of that.

The thing that tears Mr apart a little bit is of we had him ten games earlier even we'd have finished comfortably outside the bottom three.

He only really got up to speed with five games to go. If he'd  have been for for fifteen games we'd have won at least three more.

Horrible to say as a burton fan but it's really not fair to see him playing for us in league one. I love him to bits but hes much much too good  to be wasting his time at that level.

If we can keep him he'll get thirty goals.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Puts it in perspective. 

And the really unlucky thing is that even with him being out most of the season, they somehow managed to take it to the last day. If Forest hadn’t screwed them over, they would have survived. So the not even like, without Boyce, they were massively out of their depth and cut adrift. They finished above Sunderland, who had been a premier league club a year earlier. Really unlucky when you think about it. Can’t beleive any fan would be on their back after that almost miraculous effort. Give clough a bit of time, and see what happens this season. 

It’s similar to West Brom in the champ. When on a great run at the end of the season, almost pulled off a miraculous escape. Maybe hoped their momentum would carry them on in the champ, but they stuttered a bit in their first couple of games. But now they’ve hit their stride and put 7 (seven) past QPR.

granted burton seem to have squad issues and budgetary constraints which would seem to make a promotion run fairly slim odds. But you never know. To get on the team and manager’s back at this stage is poor. 

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Even longer way back to when the biggest game was not so much Tamworth but little old Greeley Rovers, usually played Boxing Day and New Year.

Burton have come a long way under Ben and the die hards know it, trouble is, outside that 800 or so, the new kids following will drift back towards the big clubs, glory hunting and when they do turn up, they’re the ones ridiculing Clough and expecting more, when in truth, they’ve already witnessed more miracles than a small club like Burton could ever dream of.

7 hours ago, David said:

3 games into the season and a message to the fans from the chairman and manager calling out the boo boys as not true supporters.

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/2108-statement/

Can't see this helping the situation tbh.

Got to say hearing his interview in the car, he called out the striker and a couple of midfielders (not doing their job), he didn’t go overboard but laboured the point a bit too much at the end. Ronnie may disagree but for me he’s creating the division with his comments, think it might backfire.

That said, can’t call him too much, as he cited Jake Buxton as best player on the park ?

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Got to say hearing his interview in the car, he called out the striker and a couple of midfielders (not doing their job), he didn’t go overboard but laboured the point a bit too much at the end. Ronnie may disagree but for me he’s creating the division with his comments, think it might backfire.

That said, can’t call him too much, as he cited Jake Buxton as best player on the park ?

All he ever does is tell the truth.

I've not heard his interview yet but I'd expect he said Boyce was poor tonight.

Sordell didn't do enough and  wasted  a glorious  chance to equalise.

Lucas Akins worked but was generally ineffective.

Templeton gave the ball away cheaply and often and didn't track back, he's got a lot of quality but everyone on here knows if he doesn't graft and doesn't stop giving it away he won't last long.

Fox was good for thirty minutes then did little else.

Buxton WAS immense. Maybe thoer number ten ran him close but he was head and shoulders Burton's stand out performer.

If I was Clough I'd do a Roy hodgson and jusy say he's not going to answer questions when those answers are then used as a stick to beat him with.

We've lost three out of four league games I don't know how he's supposed to be positive.

Let's see if Boyce hangs around. I hate to say it but he looked disinterested for much of tonight.

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

When Burton go down again, again, we'll sing, we'll sing!

Cloughy's gonna get the sack, might even get Rowett back, Burton albiiiooooooon back where they belong.

Yet we beat you lot twice and drew one of the four games we played.

Even if Burton do end up where they belong, I'll take huge delight in knowing you can't ever take that away.

Non league Nigel and non league Burton smashed you all over the park twice. Even the one you won you got out of jail.

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

All he ever does is tell the truth.

I've not heard his interview yet but I'd expect he said Boyce was poor tonight.

Sordell didn't do enough and  wasted  a glorious  chance to equalise.

Lucas Akins worked but was generally ineffective.

Templeton gave the ball away cheaply and often and didn't track back, he's got a lot of quality but everyone on here knows if he doesn't graft and doesn't stop giving it away he won't last long.

Fox was good for thirty minutes then did little else.

Buxton WAS immense. Maybe thoer number ten ran him close but he was head and shoulders Burton's stand out performer.

If I was Clough I'd do a Roy hodgson and jusy say he's not going to answer questions when those answers are then used as a stick to beat him with.

We've lost three out of four league games I don't know how he's supposed to be positive.

Let's see if Boyce hangs around. I hate to say it but he looked disinterested for much of tonight.

Hmm, shame for Burton, as  thought Boyce could be vital.

See though, all about opinions, swear blind alongside Mcfadzean and Bucko, he cited Akins as the three that stood out ?

Oxford away next will be tough.

Archived