Burton Albion Watch 18/19

David

26 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Fairly certain we had half n half stuff on sale for the league cup semi v Man Utd in 2009.

Although, maybe not mugs.

But any time I've seen any half n half poo shared on here, Derby or not - its been mocked. Rightly. It's perfectly possible to make custom memorabilia for a game without having half of it in the opposition's colours.

I don't think anyone disparages Burton's achievement in that tournament.

I always bring up my half and half scarf in situations like this. England vs Peru, friendly at Wembley. My kids are half and half, so when am I ever going to get an opportunity like that again. 

Not like England and Peru are likely to meet each other very often, so my kids are allowed to support both. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Ronnie, 

I'm not mocking Burton for losing 9-0 or for enjoying a cup semi final. Just purely for the half and half scarves and cups. I'd say the same if it was Derby. 

Football is tribal. Why would anyone want the colours of another tribe? That's what the game is about. You support a town or city and their colours are your uniform. 

Why would any fan want another club's poo all over them. I don't want Chelsea blue wrapped around my bloody neck. It's what? The FA Cup 5th round? Well in that case I will wear their colours then. Maybe tattoo the badge on my lower back. Feck Chelsea. I'm not in awe of them. I don't go to see Eden Hazard. He's just a bag of skin and bones trying to ruin my mood.

Derby are my tribe and the day I start waving Chelsea blue above my head is the day I've started becoming a neutral. And once I'm neutral then I've lost interest in the sport because everything we put into it as fans is based on location and colours. 

But whatever. If people want to buy Man City merchandise then that's up to them. If it was me I wouldn't want a Man City badge under my nose after a 10-0 defeat. I didn't want a QPR one either after a 1-0 defeat. 

I'd hope no Accrington fans are designing scarves for Saturday. They should be making it loud and proud and all about them. Don't respect us!

The half and half thing is cringe worthy.  The only going cos it's a big team is a bit better but only just.

I don't care about Manchester city or their superstars either.

I want Burton to make as much money as they can from this occasion though, so if that means a few kids and pensioners getting all giddy about a mug then kerching. Every extra 20 quid is massive to us as a club, the two ties probably saw us able to re-sign two players and bring in two more on more than we would have been able to afford otherwise.

I hate the big game draws for every other reason than money, I've only ever seen us get drubbed and no one likes that.

I'll end with a Clough loving question, I'm sure there will be some but I can't think off the top of my head, any other manager taken league one clubs to 3 major cup semi finals?

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burton

Highest league position - 20th Championship

Furthest in FA Cup - 4th round

Furthest in League Cup - Semi-finals

This is likely to be as good as it'll ever get for them.

Maybe a fairer comparison would be Derby winning the top division then reaching a European Cup Semi

Right, but for fans my age (37) and younger Derby have finished 8th in the Premier League once and a League Cup semi final, that’s all we have to go on. 

With the way football is going this is likely to be as good as it’ll ever get for a while. 

60’s kids will have the League titles and I’m not sure we will have many around that remember the FA Cup win.

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I always bring up my half and half scarf in situations like this. England vs Peru, friendly at Wembley. My kids are half and half, so when am I ever going to get an opportunity like that again. 

Not like England and Peru are likely to meet each other very often, so my kids are allowed to support both. 

Half - n - half memoribilia came about from people who were fans of both teams, buying two scarves (or shirts) and frankensteining them. You coulda done that too ? Perfectly reasonable behaviour for people who are fans of both sides in a game that wont come around often.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burton reaching the semis is a bit different to us playing Chelsea in the 5th round. I would liken it to Derby playing Barcelona in a Championship League Final. I think a lot of Derby fans would buy some form of memorabilia... The likes of Arsenal, Dortmund, Inter will be laughing at us for it

We had them against Chelsea! I wasn't emphasising a point. We genuinely had the stupid things 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair enough and if you are from Burton and the misses is from Manchester then a half and half scarf would be perfect. ?

@ronnieronalde, I understand your point about milking the tie for all it’s worth. This post is on a separate issue.

I don’t get the fascination with playing the big teams. If you want to watch them, turn on your TV. It won’t clash with Derby games because said teams never play on a Saturday at 3pm.

If we beat Accrington and got Man United, Chelsea or Spurs (assuming they’re at Wembley) away, I’d be gutted. That means we’re likely to get played off the park and get knocked out. Those games are only special if you play like we did against against the first two aforementioned teams. Great games and memories, but I’d never get excited purely by seeing those teams in the flesh.

I get nothing out of seeing Kevin de Bruyne absolutely ripping our team to shreds. Why would I? I want to see us win. I want to visit an old-fashioned ground and see Jack Marriott smashing one into the back of the Accrington net to crown off a great day on the piss.

I go to support my team. Nothing else.

4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

If we beat Accrington and got Man United, Chelsea or Spurs (assuming they’re at Wembley) away, I’d be gutted. That means we’re likely to get played off the park and get knocked out. Those games are only special if you play like we did against against the first two aforementioned teams. Great games and memories, but I’d never get excited purely by seeing those teams in the flesh.

So you’d be gutted to draw a team that if beaten would be special, but because we could also get beaten you’d rather not. Makes sense.

For me it’s not the excitement about getting to see the likes of Hazard, Sanchez or Kane, it’s the opportunity to take them on and beat them.

To do United in their own backyard was a highlight of this season, had we been away to Doncaster Rovers it would barely be remembered.

Sure some go celebrity spotting, I saw a fan in the home end at Southampton getting Frank to sign a Chelsea shirt, but that’s football.

Give me Spurs away at Wembley next round on the telebox, the money is a nice bonus as well whilst under FFP restrictions.

Just now, David said:

So you’d be gutted to draw a team that if beaten would be special, but because we could also get beaten you’d rather not. Makes sense.

For me it’s not the excitement about getting to see the likes of Hazard, Sanchez or Kane, it’s the opportunity to take them on and beat them.

To do United in their own backyard was a highlight of this season, had we been away to Doncaster Rovers it would barely be remembered.

Sure some go celebrity spotting, I saw a fan in the home end at Southampton getting Frank to sign a Chelsea shirt, but that’s football.

Give me Spurs away at Wembley next round on the telebox, the money is a nice bonus as well whilst under FFP restrictions.

All about your disposition I guess.

I'd watch Derby in non-league football, I just want to see us win games. Whoever we are playing doesn't matter to me.

9 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

@ronnieronalde, I understand your point about milking the tie for all it’s worth. This post is on a separate issue.

I don’t get the fascination with playing the big teams. If you want to watch them, turn on your TV. It won’t clash with Derby games because said teams never play on a Saturday at 3pm.

I get nothing out of seeing Kevin de Bruyne absolutely ripping our team to shreds. Why would I? I want to see us win. I want to visit an old-fashioned ground and see Jack Marriott smashing one into the back of the Accrington net to crown off a great day on the piss.

I go to support my team. Nothing else.

Which part of that do you think I'm disagreeing with pal?

You are 100% spot on from first to last word.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

All about your disposition I guess.

I'd watch Derby in non-league football, I just want to see us win games. Whoever we are playing doesn't matter to me.

So would I, but if an opportunity came up to play a top side I’d still take it. 

No guarantees we’d beat teams below us, cup games are tricky, rather be the underdog not expected to win.

9 minutes ago, David said:

I realise the contradiction. My main point is about my gut feeling when the draw is made. In regards to the 4th round draw - if it had been Man United I would have been slightly disappointed. When it was Accrington, I was delighted.

4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I realise the contradiction. My main point is about my gut feeling when the draw is made. In regards to the 4th round draw - if it had been Man United I would have been slightly disappointed. When it was Accrington, I was delighted.

My first thought was this will be difficult and so Derby to lose it, Zanzala winner. Our players could think they’ve won before stepping off the coach, Accrington play us off the park. Happens to the best of them. Much rather be facing Man United Saturday. Pressure off, free hit, go out there and have fun.

All eyes are on us though Saturday.

22 minutes ago, David said:

My first thought was this will be difficult and so Derby to lose it, Zanzala winner. Our players could think they’ve won before stepping off the coach, Accrington play us off the park. Happens to the best of them. Much rather be facing Man United Saturday. Pressure off, free hit, go out there and have fun.

All eyes are on us though Saturday.

I wasn't delighted because I thought it would be easy. I was delighted because, realistically (and not in your very Derby-centric, anxious view of the tie), it gives us a great chance of progressing. It's a new ground to tick off the list, which is made especially great by the fact that it's a very traditional, 'tinpot', stadium. It will be a great day on the piss. It's only 22 miles from my uni. Perfect.  

I think most fans on here don't care who we are playing. Most wouldn't touch a half n half scarf 

@TigerTedd is a extraordinary example. 

If you've truly embraced your team then you don't care if it's Eden Hazard or a water Hazard. You just want them to be on the losing team. You wouldn't go to a Derby v Man United game and hope Pogba performs so you get to see his mad skillz

I think the half and half tat winds people up because it's aimed at the casual fan. The fan sat at home now only getting Derby's results and forming their opinion by what the word on Twitter is. The fan that wanted to come to Wembley and kicked off because they didn't have/"lost" their customer number. The fan that will come to admire Eden Hazard. The fan that has heard Keogh is crap so therefore he's crap and they will get a season ticket for the PL but will give it a miss if we are relegated to a league people won't be talking about Monday morning

I mean there's nowt wrong with a casual fan really is there? They aren't hurting anyone. It's their money to spend. 

But they just don't geddit! They're waving their half and half scarf. They're talking about the cool features in the brand new BMW. And you just want to beat them to near death with that matchday program they bought. 

"Oh that was a great turn by Mata, though. Nothing our left back could do."

Our left back is called Malone and it wasn't a great turn. If you liked it that much then piss off to Manchester or Spain or anywhere but near me!! 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think most fans on here don't care who we are playing. Most wouldn't touch a half n half scarf 

@TigerTedd is a extraordinary example. 

If you've truly embraced your team then you don't care if it's Eden Hazard or a water Hazard. You just want them to be on the losing team. You wouldn't go to a Derby v Man United game and hope Pogba performs so you get to see his mad skillz

I think the half and half tat winds people up because it's aimed at the casual fan. The fan sat at home now only getting Derby's results and forming their opinion by what the word on Twitter is. The fan that wanted to come to Wembley and kicked off because they didn't have/"lost" their customer number. The fan that will come to admire Eden Hazard. The fan that has heard Keogh is crap so therefore he's crap and they will get a season ticket for the PL but will give it a miss if we are relegated to a league people won't be talking about Monday morning

I mean there's nowt wrong with a casual fan really is there? They aren't hurting anyone. It's their money to spend. 

But they just don't geddit! They're waving their half and half scarf. They're talking about the cool features in the brand new BMW. And you just want to beat them to near death with that matchday program they bought. 

"Oh that was a great turn by Mata, though. Nothing our left back could do."

Our left back is called Malone and it wasn't a great turn. If you liked it that much then piss off to Manchester or Spain or anywhere but near me!! 

I do like to be described as extraordinary. That’ll get me through the day, like a digital hug. 

You also pretty much described me to a T with the rest of your post though. So that put me down in the dumps again. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I do like to be described as extraordinary. That’ll get me through the day, like a digital hug. 

You also pretty much described me to a T with the rest of your post though. So that put me down in the dumps again. 

How can you be a casual fan though when you're on here all the time and have followed the highs and lows. You don't just check the results on Saturday night and have a quick look through Twitter to see who's to blame before adding your outrage.

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How can you be a casual fan though when you're on here all the time and have followed the highs and lows. You don't just check the results on Saturday night and have a quick look through Twitter to see who's to blame before adding your outrage.

I don’t have Twitter, I get all my opinions from @MuespachRam.

i might get more half and half scarves just remind me which matches I’ve been too. I can’t remember who I’ve actually seen.

Archived