Burton Albion Watch 18/19

David

Just now, rynny said:

Because it would professional courtesy to not play their best and treat them differently? Not a chance. So what City should've just passed the ball around the half way line, play keep ball? See how many passes they could make before Burton got a touch? How disrespecting would that have been to Burton and all the fans in the ground? Maybe they should've put their reserve team out and get accused of not taking it seriously enough? Maybe they should've let Burton walk through and score a goal?

What nonsense. 

Agree.

It would be far more embarrassing for Burton to get to the semi-final of a tournament only for their opposition to win comfortably while going easy on them out of a sense of "class", than to just get obliterated by a near full-strength side giving Burton the respect they deserve for reaching that point of the competition by treating the game as professionally as possible.

Its not like the players rubbed it in after every goal. Every celebration was contained, and that's where the "class" needed to be, imo - they just got on with the game.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Agree.

It would be far more embarrassing for Burton to get to the semi-final of a tournament only for their opposition to win comfortably while going easy on them out of a sense of "class", than to just get obliterated by a near full-strength side giving Burton the respect they deserve for reaching that point of the competition by treating the game as professionally as possible.

Its not like the players rubbed it in after every goal. Every celebration was contained, and that's where the "class" needed to be, imo - they just got on with the game.

I like this response. 

Said this last night but I hope Citeh still take a load of first team players to the Pirelli, even if they don’t necessarily play, but just so Burton fans can see them. Take photos and sign some autographs, that’s the touch of class I’d like to see

It’s the semi final of the cup, not a pre season friendly.

Man City were the ultimate professionals last night, fielding a team that wasn’t the strongest but more than capable of beating Burton and came away with a result that doesn’t give Burton a prayer.

There was no piss taking with video game skill moves, they respected the opposition and buried them which we all want our clubs to do on a match day.

This now allows both teams to player even weaker sides in the second leg, Man City have a game 3 days before and after, Burton 4 and 3 days.

57 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

I agree with him, 

It's a bit like a good looking young man going around town telling everyone he's down the dirty with your granny .

No class .

Tottenham ? I'd expect that kind of behaviour from them , but Pep ? We've led to believe he was made of better stuff.

Hope Nigel shows similar respect and puts the reserves out in the return leg.

Football is a game where you try to score goals. All Man City did was do their best to score goals, they just happened to be good enough to score 9, what’s wrong with that?

He didn’t disrespect Burton, he did the exact opposite by treating them just like they were a PL club. Fair enough if he took the piss and put the goalkeeper up front with 10 to go but he didn’t.

Wouldn’t it have been more embarrassing for Burton if City had scored 6 then got their deck chairs out? Pep literally cannot win. He’d get slated for playing the kids and only winning by 2 or 3, and slated for going strong and winning by a natural margin.

1 hour ago, Bound 2 tease said:

I agree with him, 

It's a bit like a good looking young man going around town telling everyone he's down the dirty with your granny .

No class .

Tottenham ? I'd expect that kind of behaviour from them , but Pep ? We've led to believe he was made of better stuff.

Hope Nigel shows similar respect and puts the reserves out in the return leg.

Don't blame City for wanting to keep scoring - the Burton defenders did the same as their manager - gave up after half an hour and went and hid.

I think everyone needs to see the bigger picture with this game. (By everyone I mean the media and the tin-pot fans around the country) I'm not a fan of Nigel but like most Derby fans it's been enjoyable watching Burton's rise over the past 10 years or so. 

I was sat watching the game last night with a friend who claims to be a 'Manchester United' fan, despite living and being from Nottingham. He said at half time that he felt sorry for the Burton players because they have to play them again for the second leg and that the Burton fans must be unhappy. I completely disagreed with him and he didn't seem to understand why that every Burton fan, player or coach at that game would have still enjoyed the occasion and they'll be relishing the prospect of playing them at the Pirelli. I said even if they managed a goal last night or in a few weeks, it'd be a great moment. For a team of Burton's size to manage to get into a semi final is just phenomenal, we forget how only 10 years ago they had no history.. The tie it's self would have probably paid the wages for a good few months and no doubt given them some money to spend in the transfer market which is massive considering that they now need to stabilise themselves after last year's relegation. The trip for the fans was a once in a life time experience, they'll probably never get that opportunity again realistically.. Every one of their fans last night who went expected to get battered or turned over. As Nigel said, the tie was effectively over as soon as the draw was made. 

They should all be very proud of themselves, they're no mugs either they've beaten some great teams to get this far. It was a win win all round.. 

• 2 weeks later...

You didn’t miss much, I’ve seen more entertaining pre season friendlies and better atmospheres on dominos night down the pub. 

9-0 on aggregate City were in cruise control, you can’t blame them to be honest. Burton huffed and puffed, could have scored but wasn’t to be. 

Mugs will probably be on sale tomorrow half price.

I got this scarf back in 2019. We didn't have jetpacks back then! Your Mother was only a toddler, lad. 

Anyway, back then Manchester City were the big team. Full of all the best players, they were. We drew them in the cup and the whole town was buzzing. We lost 9-0 at their place but that didn't spoil the mood for the second leg. I still remember that atmosphere now. I'll never forget that game. 

You have this scarf. One day you will have children and you'll tell them the story of when Manchester City, the pride of England, blessed this small town with their presence in the famous Carabao Cup. It was an honour

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I got this scarf back in 2019. We didn't have jetpacks back then! Your Mother was only a toddler, lad. 

Anyway, back then Manchester City were the big team. Full of all the best players, they were. We drew them in the cup and the whole town was buzzing. We lost 9-0 at their place but that didn't spoil the mood for the second leg. I still remember that atmosphere now. I'll never forget that game. 

You have this scarf. One day you will have children and you'll tell them the story of when Manchester City, the pride of England, blessed this small town with their presence in the famous Carabao Cup. It was an honour

Lads, I honestly (honestly) hope your club is back on the way to great things. It would be really nice to see.

This thread again has made me sad and go meh!!

I hope you never go back to the stage of being a league one club, I hope it never gets to the stage where the biggest game of your modern history is a league cup semi final but even if it is and does what Burton have achieved will ALWAYS outshine that.

Burton Albion getting to the last four of a major tournament, not fluking pulling a big club out of the hat in round three.

Burton Albion.

I couldn't care less if City had have won 20-0, couldn't care less if the whole of Burton was painted yellow and light blue for the month of January. Couldn't care less.

@Alpha , honestly mate your post SHOULD be what grandad Iis saying to his grandson in twenty years, the achievement was THAT special.

Not sure where the piss taking comes from on this one. 

To give it a bit of perspective, I got three texts last night from my Sunderland supporting mates congratulating themselves for beating City's u21's to get  to the check a trade final.

Burton a) getting hammered by City, and b) Burton trying to milk the two ties for every penny they can, why does that piss off any decent football fan, how can anyone begrudge Burton their big day?

Should have drawn tonight by all accounts.

Hoping things move quickly now transfer window wise and then settle down and we can start to get closer to top 6. A top ten finish in league one would be good enough for me especially when you look at the size and stature of the nine or so clubs who will probably finish above us.

Remarkable season irrespective of what happens from now on in.

Burton Albion - league cup semi finalists, even the world's biggest Nigel Clough fan boy would have been sectioned for suggesting it could ever happen.

Ronnie, 

I'm not mocking Burton for losing 9-0 or for enjoying a cup semi final. Just purely for the half and half scarves and cups. I'd say the same if it was Derby. 

Football is tribal. Why would anyone want the colours of another tribe? That's what the game is about. You support a town or city and their colours are your uniform. 

Why would any fan want another club's poo all over them. I don't want Chelsea blue wrapped around my bloody neck. It's what? The FA Cup 5th round? Well in that case I will wear their colours then. Maybe tattoo the badge on my lower back. Feck Chelsea. I'm not in awe of them. I don't go to see Eden Hazard. He's just a bag of skin and bones trying to ruin my mood.

Derby are my tribe and the day I start waving Chelsea blue above my head is the day I've started becoming a neutral. And once I'm neutral then I've lost interest in the sport because everything we put into it as fans is based on location and colours. 

But whatever. If people want to buy Man City merchandise then that's up to them. If it was me I wouldn't want a Man City badge under my nose after a 10-0 defeat. I didn't want a QPR one either after a 1-0 defeat. 

I'd hope no Accrington fans are designing scarves for Saturday. They should be making it loud and proud and all about them. Don't respect us!

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Ronnie, 

I'm not mocking Burton for losing 9-0 or for enjoying a cup semi final. Just purely for the half and half scarves and cups. I'd say the same if it was Derby. 

Football is tribal. Why would anyone want the colours of another tribe? That's what the game is about. You support a town or city and their colours are your uniform. 

Why would any fan want another club's poo all over them. I don't want Chelsea blue wrapped around my bloody neck. It's what? The FA Cup 5th round? Well in that case I will wear their colours then. Maybe tattoo the badge on my lower back. Feck Chelsea. I'm not in awe of them. I don't go to see Eden Hazard. He's just a bag of skin and bones trying to ruin my mood.

Derby are my tribe and the day I start waving Chelsea blue above my head is the day I've started becoming a neutral. And once I'm neutral then I've lost interest in the sport because everything we put into it as fans is based on location and colours. 

But whatever. If people want to buy Man City merchandise then that's up to them. If it was me I wouldn't want a Man City badge under my nose after a 10-0 defeat. I didn't want a QPR one either after a 1-0 defeat. 

I'd hope no Accrington fans are designing scarves for Saturday. They should be making it loud and proud and all about them. Don't respect us!

Burton reaching the semis is a bit different to us playing Chelsea in the 5th round. I would liken it to Derby playing Barcelona in a Championship League Final. I think a lot of Derby fans would buy some form of memorabilia... The likes of Arsenal, Dortmund, Inter will be laughing at us for it

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burton reaching the semis is a bit different to us playing Chelsea in the 5th round. I would liken it to Derby playing Barcelona in a Championship League Final. I think a lot of Derby fans would buy some form of memorabilia... The likes of Arsenal, Dortmund, Inter will be laughing at us for it

Burton were competiting in the same league as Derby recently, not sure that’s a like for like situation, a cup semi final v Man City would be as big as it was for Burton for us, although if you’re offering a Champions League final v Barca I’ll take it.

Fairly certain we had half n half stuff on sale for the league cup semi v Man Utd in 2009.

Although, maybe not mugs.

But any time I've seen any half n half poo shared on here, Derby or not - its been mocked. Rightly. It's perfectly possible to make custom memorabilia for a game without having half of it in the opposition's colours.

I don't think anyone disparages Burton's achievement in that tournament.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Burton were competiting in the same league as Derby recently, not sure that’s a like for like situation, a cup semi final v Man City would be as big as it was for Burton for us, although if you’re offering a Champions League final v Barca I’ll take it.

Burton

Highest league position - 20th Championship

Furthest in FA Cup - 4th round

Furthest in League Cup - Semi-finals

This is likely to be as good as it'll ever get for them.

Maybe a fairer comparison would be Derby winning the top division then reaching a European Cup Semi

Archived