Khabib v McGregor

David

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

People call this a sport.  Failed boxers/martial artists acting like thugs, better off watching WWE, at least you know they are just acting.

Controversial but understand what your saying. Dana White sold out. All this transitioning of wwe superstars to MMA like lesnar, lashley, Batista, Cm punk has turned MMA into a bit like wwe then you have Conor with the nonsense with mayweather. Same thing happened with boxing and football. When you have more people interested in it, you have to accommodate to entertain the masses and casuals.

Sure the trash talking in the press conferences is there to build the PPV numbers, same as it is in Boxing, but at times there is a real hatred between the two fighters. The Khabib and McGregor thing runs much deeper than a bit of promotion for a fight, simply wrong to suggest it's acting of any kind.

Khabib will be given a very real suspension and fine which could prevent him from fighting for a lengthy period, same as Cantona and Evra for their antics in football.

What happened last night/this morning is not a regular occurrence in UFC, most fights end with mutual respect after what can be brutal fights that turn into bloodbaths. See Pettis and Ferguson.

WWE have scripted storylines where it is known X wrestler will leave the ring and smash X into a table that's not on the fight card. 

The McGregor fight had more police and security than any fight in Vegas, not to enhance any fictional story, but for genuine concern having both camps in the building together and to prevent what happened at the end. Even then it wasn't enough.

I get UFC won't be everyones cup of tea but acting it most certainly is not.

40 minutes ago, David said:

Sure the trash talking in the press conferences is there to build the PPV numbers, same as it is in Boxing, but at times there is a real hatred between the two fighters. The Khabib and McGregor thing runs much deeper than a bit of promotion for a fight, simply wrong to suggest it's acting of any kind.

Khabib will be given a very real suspension and fine which could prevent him from fighting for a lengthy period, same as Cantona and Evra for their antics in football.

What happened last night/this morning is not a regular occurrence in UFC, most fights end with mutual respect after what can be brutal fights that turn into bloodbaths. See Pettis and Ferguson.

WWE have scripted storylines where it is known X wrestler will leave the ring and smash X into a table that's not on the fight card. 

The McGregor fight had more police and security than any fight in Vegas, not to enhance any fictional story, but for genuine concern having both camps in the building together and to prevent what happened at the end. Even then it wasn't enough.

I get UFC won't be everyones cup of tea but acting it most certainly is not.

Think you’re slightly missing the point raised..... where I think it’s getting comparable to the acting of WWE is that the actual fight doesn’t get talked about, the reactions before and after are.... not dissing UFC, but it seems like a monster out of control and Dana hasn’t the capability of reigning it back in. It’s pure Hollywood acting at the minute the people see..... not saying the scraps ain’t real, but the stuff that comes with it is past the fourth wall. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Think you’re slightly missing the point raised..... where I think it’s getting comparable to the acting of WWE is that the actual fight doesn’t get talked about, the reactions before and after are.... not dissing UFC, but it seems like a monster out of control and Dana hasn’t the capability of reigning it back in. It’s pure Hollywood acting at the minute the people see..... not saying the scraps ain’t real, but the stuff that comes with it is past the fourth wall. 

If that was the point I stand corrected, I think it's a shame when the actual fights do get overshadowed by events outside the octagon. 

Tony Ferguson, 6 months after major knee surgery got back in to fight and win, but as you say, none of this will make the headlines or Khabib's dominate victory, but other events.

McGregor is a showman, he brings in the PPV numbers but unlike his previous fights where the sideshow was just that, this time it wasn't for Hollywood, there is genuine bad blood between the two camps which is what we saw spill out after the fight last night.

Really don't like the sport, but is there any chance McGregor will just disappear now after this comprehensive (I believe) defeat ?  I'm not likely to get my wish but there is always hope! It would be a blessing as far as I'm concerned

Unfortunately, all the fetid nonsense that surrounds this sport will, rather than reduce it's popularity, only increase people's interest in it.  

The bout itself was one sided. One way to build hype for the rematch? The scenes after the fight. Dana isn’t stupid, look at the reaction afterwards, most people now want a rematch between the two even though there shouldn’t be as Khabib battered him, look at the money involved. I don’t dispute there may be animosity between the two but I imagine it’s been exaggerated. Same thing happened in boxing with Haye v bellew. You can say the same with McGregor and Diaz, McGregor hypes Diaz up now. 

Makes zero sense. Why would Khabib after winning the fight jump over the cage, smash McGregor’s team mate in front of the NAC governer knowing he would recieve suspension, fine and possibly never allowed in the country again to setup a rematch?

If the rematch was the intention, keep it to yelling at each other in the Octagon after the fight, maybe try a half hearted push to get at each other again.

As I say, zero sense. Was a moment of madness from an adrenaline filled fighter that was seriously pissed off.

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Anyone who thinks the bad blood and 'afters' were staged clearly didn't watch the fight, nor see what happened following it. The enmity between these two is very real.

You mean just like McGregor and Diaz allegedly hated each other? Dana White is behind all of this, he’s the ultimate moneymaker. I’m not denying there is some animosity but it’s exaggerated.

If they do have a rematch then it will all but confirm this.

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

Really don't like the sport, but is there any chance McGregor will just disappear now after this comprehensive (I believe) defeat ?  I'm not likely to get my wish but there is always hope! It would be a blessing as far as I'm concerned

Unfortunately, all the fetid nonsense that surrounds this sport will, rather than reduce it's popularity, only increase people's interest in it.  

Think this is a tad unfair @Highgate Generally speaking, there is a deal more respect shown between fighters in MMA than in boxing and McGregor is the exception not the rule. Where I would agree with you is that McGregor is not good for the image of the sport but he does have a massive following and was very much key to raising the profile of the sport to its current levels. Unfortunately he's taken his irrational dislike of Khabib too far and he stirred a hornet's nest in doing so. Khabib has never shown anything like that side of his character before, indeed he's been a model professional but if you view all of the pre-fight stuff you can see that some of McGregor's rather unsavoury 'banter' clearly got to him, as did his comments that had Khabib got off the bus, he'd be a 'dead man'. As it was, Khabib showed McGregor up for what he is. A decent striking fighter but one of limited skills outside of his boxing and we all know that Mayweather ruthlessly exposed his shortcomings in that department too. A big name but no longer the main man as while MMA fighters and their skill-sets are rapidly evolving, McGregor has stood still. McGregor needs the sideshow to remain relevant but will struggle to beat the guys coming through in his division let alone the like of Khabib.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Dana White confirmed that McGregor and no-one on his team are pressing charges, why aren’t they ?

You don't know what you're talking about pal. Have a think about why McGregor won't press charges before chucking your idiotic conspiracy theories around. It's pretty feckin obvious, after all. 

Just now, 86 points said:

You don't know what you're talking about pal. Have a think about why McGregor won't press charges before chucking your idiotic conspiracy theories around. It's pretty feckin obvious, after all. 

The fight was one-sided. And it’s not a conspiracy, it happens all the time in boxing too- Bellew and Haye despised each other and said and did all sorts to hype the fight. Conor got battered, how else would they justify a rematch? Dana has a lot of ties with WWE. You getting the picture?

Dana White is all behind this, 100%. He wanted drama and that’s what he has got. Look at how much hype a rematch will get. Oh and Dana hasn’t condomned his golden boy McGregor for his actions.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

The fight was one-sided. And it’s not a conspiracy, it happens all the time in boxing too- Bellew and Haye despised each other and said and did all sorts to hype the fight. Conor got battered, how else would they justify a rematch? Dana has a lot of ties with WWE. You getting the picture?

Dana White is all behind this, 100%. He wanted drama and that’s what he has got. Look at how much hype a rematch will get. Oh and Dana hasn’t condomned his golden boy McGregor for his actions.

So you say it's not a conspiracy and then accuse White of having staged it all. Makes perfect sense! As per usual, you're talking utter bilge. I'll leave it there as trying to reason with you is utterly pointless.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So you say it's not a conspiracy and then accuse White of having staged it all. Makes perfect sense! As per usual, you're talking utter bilge. I'll leave it there as trying to reason with you is utterly pointless.

No need to make it personal, the fact that  it’s only my view but I’ve seen this happen all the time in my experience of watching ufc and boxing down the years. The ultimate marketing scheme. I’m not denying the two don’t like each other but to me it’s exaggerated. Whether you believe Dana White was behind it or not he’s going to make a lot out of it, it keeps UFC in the headlines. Same as Eddie Hearn with boxing and Vince McMahon used to do with wwe. Create storylines to keep the entertainment in the headlines.

Remember this post, they will have a rematch just like Conor had with Diaz and he will win. I will bump this post up when it happens.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

No need to make it personal, the fact that  it’s only my view but I’ve seen this happen all the time in my experience of watching ufc and boxing down the years. The ultimate marketing scheme. I’m not denying the two don’t like each other but to me it’s exaggerated. Whether you believe Dana White was behind it or not he’s going to make a lot out of it, it keeps UFC in the headlines. Same as Eddie Hearn with boxing and Vince McMahon used to do with wwe. Create storylines to keep the entertainment in the headlines.

Remember this post, they will have a rematch just like Conor had with Diaz and he will win. I will bump this post up when it happens.

Of course they will, as everyone else has already predicted on this thread since the fight. Way to go completely missing the point! I'll pop you on ignore anyway pal. Our exchanges are tedious as fook for everyone else.

Just now, 86 points said:

Of course they will, as everyone else has already predicted on this thread since the fight. Way to go completely missing the point! I'll pop you on ignore anyway pal. Our exchanges are tedious as fook for everyone else.

Where has everyone else predicted they will have a rematch? I don’t have a problem with anyone on here, I haven’t got anyone on ignore on here but for some reason you seem to have a real problem with me, it was the same when Rowett was here. Very odd.

Archived